• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Zach Edey Conundrum - Could Edey be the next great Atlanta Hawk or is he the next Cam Reddish

NBASupes

• Moderators
8 hours ago, KB21 said:

Vucevic is in the 47th percentile as a PNR finisher.  For comparison, OO is in the 84th percentile as a finisher in the PNR.  

A significant influence on those numbers is volume related.  Vic’s efficiency would go up if he was used as rarely as OO and had Trae Young feeding him.  OO’s efficiency would go down if he was used as often as Vuc and was getting fed by DD and Coby White.  Overall, Vuc did have his career worst season in a lot of respects (as far as scoring efficiency) so I don’t think it would completely close the gap but low volume and Trae Young are going to pump any big’s efficiency as a PNR finisher.  I’m sure Damion Jones had amazing numbers but wasn’t a prolific scorer when he was here too.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, AHF said:

A significant influence on those numbers is volume related.  Vic’s efficiency would go up if he was used as rarely as OO and had Trae Young feeding him.  OO’s efficiency would go down if he was used as often as Vuc and was getting fed by DD and Coby White.  Overall, Vuc did have his career worst season in a lot of respects (as far as scoring efficiency) so I don’t think it would completely close the gap but low volume and Trae Young are going to pump any big’s efficiency as a PNR finisher.  I’m sure Damion Jones had amazing numbers but wasn’t a prolific scorer when he was here too.

He was in the 99% percentile in his one season with the Hawks. Even with that said, my point wasn't even that. Vuc has never been a high PPP roller. He's a frequently used roller because of his versatility as a screener, a roller, slip, pop, etc. He's hard to deal with because he can do a lot. Edey is a proven elite roller. I was just talking about different types of roller. You don't have to be an elite shooter to be an elite scorer. Giannis is the prime example. That doesn't mean I am comparing Giannis to Edey by mentioning that.

Edited by NBASupes

7 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I don't edit videos or take clips from YouTube TV and cut them up for proof. But this coach did. 

Here's what he showcased. 

@thecampster

@AHF

@Gray Mule

@REHawksFan

@JayBirdHawk

@marco102

I'll add more later.

1 lesson should have come out of Purdue v UCONN.  The rest of Purdue was really bad.  How good must Edey have been to carry those jokers?  Purdue doesn't even make the tourney without Edey.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I don't edit videos or take clips from YouTube TV and cut them up for proof. But this coach did. 

Here's what he showcased. 

@thecampster

@AHF

@Gray Mule

@REHawksFan

@JayBirdHawk

@marco102

I'll add more later.

Edey is faster than he looks.  He's so big that he just covers a lot of ground when he moves. So even though he looks slow, he's still plenty fast enough to defend against these teams in college. 

I've already said I've seen enough from him to be willing to take a chance and draft him. Worst case scenario in my mind, we have a superb backup 5 that causes all sorts of problems in limited minutes off the bench.  Best case scenario, we have a top end starting C for years to come.  Given the weakness of the draft overall, I'm comfortable drafting Edey at 10 under either scenario. 

With all that said, I also believe we won't know for sure how he translates until he's actually in the NBA.  We can look at the fastest teams in college all day long, but it still isn't the same as defending an elite NBA athlete.  None of the teams in that video have 5 NBA players running up and down the floor. So the video is nice, but it doesn't really answer the question of whether he can stand up to NBA athletes. 

This board has made me despise all center prospects because we can never talk about them reasonably. It's either "he's a bum" or "he's God's gift to basketball" lol. 

Every time lol. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, thecampster said:

1 lesson should have come out of Purdue v UCONN.  The rest of Purdue was really bad.  How good must Edey have been to carry those jokers?  Purdue doesn't even make the tourney without Edey.

They weren't bad, they all play a role on both ends like the first iteration of the Cavs with LeBron but when they play against a superior team, size and talent wise, you take away strengths and they will struggle. 

Lance Jones is a good POA defender for college but he's only 6'1. 

Braden Smith is a solid floor general and he's a firey defensive menace but he's not athletic and only 6. Only so much he can do when he's going up against a better team, with superior size and athletic ability. He does a pretty good job for his role. 

8 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

Edey is faster than he looks.  He's so big that he just covers a lot of ground when he moves. So even though he looks slow, he's still plenty fast enough to defend against these teams in college. 

I've already said I've seen enough from him to be willing to take a chance and draft him. Worst case scenario in my mind, we have a superb backup 5 that causes all sorts of problems in limited minutes off the bench.  Best case scenario, we have a top end starting C for years to come.  Given the weakness of the draft overall, I'm comfortable drafting Edey at 10 under either scenario. 

With all that said, I also believe we won't know for sure how he translates until he's actually in the NBA.  We can look at the fastest teams in college all day long, but it still isn't the same as defending an elite NBA athlete.  None of the teams in that video have 5 NBA players running up and down the floor. So the video is nice, but it doesn't really answer the question of whether he can stand up to NBA athletes. 

He is robotic. He moves like a mechanical bull. For people who value fluidity, he's an eye sore. 

3 minutes ago, Afro said:

This board has made me despise all center prospects because we can never talk about them reasonably. It's either "he's a bum" or "he's God's gift to basketball" lol. 

Every time lol. 

I hate that too. I am gonna sell but he's not God's gift to Basketball. Maybe to Trae's offensive game. 

22 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

He moves exactly like Boban.  

1 hour ago, Afro said:

Every time lol. 

Yeah, at this point you gotta just enjoy the pillow fights from the sidelines.  Then, if they die down, instigate a little so it kicks back up.

Not sayin that's what I'm doing but .... I'm jussayin. 😏 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Come on man, he's barely moving. He doesn't even sprint at any point. 

At this point, I don't know what to say because it makes no sense. This is like saying fat Oliver Miller is faster than prime Ben Simmons and when I say prove it, you post an Oliver Miller video and it's not funny. 

Edited by NBASupes

1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

Come on man, he's barely moving. He doesn't even sprint at any point. 

Neither does Edey.  Same slow mechanics when getting to that hook shot as well.  

I wish I knew how to superimpose video on one another like Pitching Ninja does with his pitching videos.  Because you would legitimately have the same player if you superimposed video of Boban onto Edey.  

8 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Neither does Edey.  Same slow mechanics when getting to that hook shot as well.  

Why are you talking about moves? I am purely talking about movement. 

[]

8 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Why are you talking about moves? I am purely talking about movement. 

[]

That's part of his movement.  He's slow at everything.  Even his pitching motion from that video was slow.  There is nothing fast about his game.  Decision making isn't fast.  His body doesn't move fast.  He changes direction like a cruise ship.