• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Coach Mike Brey: Talks State of the Hawks and plan for next season

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, aali34 said:

That's the first time in a long time I've seen a thoughtul Bleacher Report post on the Hawks.

Thought the same - I did a double take. 😁

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Sorry to be late to the thread

Some thoughts after the 2nd to last game of the season.  I disagree with a lot of the posters who think that this team lacks talents aside from 2 or 3 players.  That is utterly false period!  The problem with the hawks is that the talent doesn't fit as well as it should defensively.

1.  We should give up on this idea that Okungwu is a starting center in this league.  He is neither big enough, long enough or strong enough for that role.  If he cannot develop as a power forward then he most likely needs to be moved

2. Trae and Murray cannot be our starting back court and the reasons are obvious.  Murray is better at defense at the point but his offense is not good enough to offset what Trae Young brings to the offense so the winner in this debate is Trae Young.  The only question is the difference in salary.  Young is not a max player but may command max money throughout his career which would be detrimental to team building.

3. Capela is barely usable now and has almost reached negative value status on his current contract and should be moved as soon as possible.

4. Bey should only be resigned at an extreme discount otherwise we are set at the forward position with Hunter and Jalen Johnson.  It looks as though Mo Gueye is already a competent defender at the power forward position and is long and athletic.  If he can improve offensively over the summer, he will easily be a valuable back up power forward next season and may allow JJ to swing over to steal back up small forward minutes depending on the match ups.  Our forward position is showing a lot of promise currently.

5. Our center position is in shambles.  Nick Claxton/Jared Allen/Jalen Duran type players would easily improve our situation.  the front office justr has to focus on that position as much as they have on the guard position in the past and it could get solved over the next couple of years seeing that some of the players listed were mid to late round picks with Claxton being a 2nd round pick.

6.  Our 2 guard position will not be hurt with the departure of DJ.  Kejci/G Mathews have both shown promise with Bogi being a good fit with Trae offensively.  I may be alone on this one but I have not given up on AJ Griifin being an above average 2 guard in this league. 

7. Kobe has shown real flashes as a back up point guard especially defensively.  I expect him to make great strides next year and he along with Trae should make up a outstanding point guard combination.