• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Coach Mike Brey: Talks State of the Hawks and plan for next season

JayBirdHawk

I’m all for keeping Trae and Murray pairing if we can put an extremely large front court in place to go with them. 

Either way it goes if we go back into next season with a small front court we can just tell Trae goodbye. 

• Like 4

It's hard for me to close the chapter on Trae and Murray knowing Murray WAR is good, Bogi is rivaling the ECF year and Trae will having a career low is having a career high in terms of an individual success this year. All of our issues resolve around the Center spot. Clint regression is noted and OO just hasn't filled the blanks as he's gotten more opportunities which was always the question with OO. If he played center more with the main guys, would he be as good as he is with the 2nd unit. The answer was no, he's not for us at least. Maybe elsewhere with a different backcourt but with us, defensively is where OO regressed. Offensively, he got better but not anywhere close to as impactful as even washed Capela.

• Thanks 3

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, NBASupes said:

It's hard for me to close the chapter on Trae and Murray knowing Murray WAR is good, Bogi is rivaling the ECF year and Trae will having a career low is having a career high in terms of an individual success this year. All of our issues resolve around the Center spot. Clint regression is noted and OO just hasn't filled the blanks as he's gotten more opportunities which was always the question with OO. If he played center more with the main guys, would he be as good as he is with the 2nd unit. The answer was no, he's not for us at least. Maybe elsewhere with a different backcourt but with us, defensively is where OO regressed. Offensively, he got better but not anywhere close to as impactful as even washed Capela.

A better frontcourt would make it work. 

• Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, AHF said:

I don't think we have enough data which is why I really wanted to see him starting for an extended period.  5 games in a row isn't enough (and 8 on the total season).  He struggled early this year but seemed to be playing better before he got injured.  (He averaged 17 and 9 over 7 games in February with more than 2 stocks per game before going down with most of those being starts).  All of our best 5 man combinations this season have OO in the lineup.

image.png

I remain pessimistic that DJM and Trae work together.  I think they are good enough that they can be effective but they are anti-synergistic on both sides of the ball.  There are better fits for sure so if we can find a trade of reasonably comparable talent and better fit I would absolutely explore that regardless of what we do in the frontcourt.  (Saying that I fully acknowledge that upgrading our frontcourt is a top priority and frankly that trading DJM is the best path to a big upgrade there.)

We were really trying to win those games. It wasn't natural wins and yes, OO was coming off hot at that moment before the injury but it wasn't impressive defense, but moreso his offense was better in those games. He was averaging 17.6 and insane efficiency 

18 minutes ago, AHF said:

I don't think we have enough data which is why I really wanted to see him starting for an extended period.  5 games in a row isn't enough (and 8 on the total season).  He struggled early this year but seemed to be playing better before he got injured.  (He averaged 17 and 9 over 7 games in February with more than 2 stocks per game before going down with most of those being starts).  All of our best 5 man combinations this season have OO in the lineup.

image.png

I remain pessimistic that DJM and Trae work together.  I think they are good enough that they can be effective but they are anti-synergistic on both sides of the ball.  There are better fits for sure so if we can find a trade of reasonably comparable talent and better fit I would absolutely explore that regardless of what we do in the frontcourt.  (Saying that I fully acknowledge that upgrading our frontcourt is a top priority and frankly that trading DJM is the best path to a big upgrade there.)

There is no path to the upgrade via vet we need for center as everyone with one ain't trading em unless they are lesser than OO. We need one extremely good or one that extremely fits Trae. If there is someone available like KAT, you know what I think we should do

18 minutes ago, AHF said:

image.png

This! Onyeka struggles on defense are far overblown in mine opinion. He struggled in the beginning adjusting the the scheme change but over time he's gotten much better. The hawks defensive issues aren't even at center imo (though I agree clint regression hasn't helped). Their team defense from their guards and wings this year has been awful. Rotations and help defense has been so bad this season. When Onyeka and Jalen play together they are good the problem was we didn't get to see a ton of those minutes. Onykea versatility opens up so much for this team on both ends. Find the forward to pair with those two (probably ends up being Flip)

• Like 1

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Problem with Murray and Trae is that while their overall numbers look really good it pretty much has been a taking turns approach. Trae's best stretches have been exclusively during Murray's bad stretches, and Murray's best stretch has been with Trae injured. Rarely do they both have great games at the same time, which is why the team has not been as good as you would think looking at their numbers individually. I agree that the Center and the forward depth is the biggest areas of opportunity, but it's still obvious regardless that Trae and Murray don't maximize each other. Murray is just mutch better as the full time PG than he is the SG/backup PG,

• Like 2

• Moderators

I'm neither sold on OO working as a starting center or sold on him not being good enough.  I just don't think he has had enough time actually starting to assess.  There is support for both positions and not enough data, imo, to settle the matter definitely.  I am convinced that CC no longer is effective enough there for what this team needs.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, AHF said:

I'm neither sold on OO working as a starting center or sold on him not being good enough.  I just don't think he has had enough time actually starting to assess.  There is support for both positions and not enough data, imo, to settle the matter definitely.  I am convinced that CC no longer is effective enough there for what this team needs.

And worst thing about CC is that his decline has been pretty consistent and gradual. There is zero reason to assume he'll turn it around, and a safe bet he continues to get worse. The more we wait to move him the less his value will be. Should have moved him probably two years ago, at this point it just seems like the team will have to cut him or move him for nothing. 

6 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

And worst thing about CC is that his decline has been pretty consistent and gradual. There is zero reason to assume he'll turn it around, and a safe bet he continues to get worse. The more we wait to move him the less his value will be. Should have moved him probably two years ago, at this point it just seems like the team will have to cut him or move him for nothing. 

There's only one year left on his deal. I'm guessing he will be traded as an expiring at some point. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Mikey said:

This! Onyeka struggles on defense are far overblown in mine opinion. He struggled in the beginning adjusting the the scheme change but over time he's gotten much better. The hawks defensive issues aren't even at center imo (though I agree clint regression hasn't helped). Their team defense from their guards and wings this year has been awful. Rotations and help defense has been so bad this season. When Onyeka and Jalen play together they are good the problem was we didn't get to see a ton of those minutes. Onykea versatility opens up so much for this team on both ends. Find the forward to pair with those two (probably ends up being Flip)

I've been wondering if they will try to make Jalen a big 3 at some point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Atlantaholic said:

Problem with Murray and Trae is that while their overall numbers look really good it pretty much has been a taking turns approach. Trae's best stretches have been exclusively during Murray's bad stretches, and Murray's best stretch has been with Trae injured. Rarely do they both have great games at the same time, which is why the team has not been as good as you would think looking at their numbers individually. I agree that the Center and the forward depth is the biggest areas of opportunity, but it's still obvious regardless that Trae and Murray don't maximize each other. Murray is just mutch better as the full time PG than he is the SG/backup PG,

But the question isn't are they the best fit. It's what's the return for Murray. If we can't get anything to legit value, it's better we run it back

1 hour ago, AHF said:

This is the anti-synergy on offense.  The anti-synergy on defense is that DJM is much worse as a defender at the 2.  They don't make each other better on either side of the ball and you'd really like that from your two best players.

This is true. Everyone here is right. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KB21 said:

I've been wondering if they will try to make Jalen a big 3 at some point.

As of right now, Jalen is part of the big 2 with Trae. Murray isn't in that mix even if he's clearly our 2nd best player. 

Edited by NBASupes

11 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

As of right now, Jalen is part of the big 2 with Trae. Murray isn't in that mix even if he's clearly our 2nd best player. 

When I said Big 3, I meant Big Wing, not part of a big 3 trio.  

• Haha 2