• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Cal to Arkansas

KB21

It's looking like Scott Drew will be going to Kentucky.  Curious to see if Baylor goes after Jerome Tang, who passed on Arkansas, or if they maybe try to pluck Scott's brother Bryce Drew from Grand Canyon.  

• Moderators

I think Mitch jumped to Pope way too fast as well.  I think they only actually talked to two people.  Makes me wonder if he was pretty much ready to go to Pope out of the gate.  Reportedly they have some big NIL commitments from the alums but I view this as a "floor" hire for UK.  (I.e., anyone else who we would have considered would have had a better resume and Pope would have taken the job at any point in the process.) 

I hope we get lightning in a bottle but I don't think Pope would have been considered if he wasn't a well respected UK grad.  His system at BYU was innovative and effective but not something I think he can really port directly to UK (so hopefully an example of innovative coaching rather than a system to which he is married).  Best case he is similar to Hubert Davis and Jon Scheyer who were also light on resume when they were hired but who have done a good job stepping into big roles at plum jobs.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, AHF said:

I think Mitch jumped to Pope way too fast as well.  I think they only actually talked to two people.  Makes me wonder if he was pretty much ready to go to Pope out of the gate.  Reportedly they have some big NIL commitments from the alums but I view this as a "floor" hire for UK.  (I.e., anyone else who we would have considered would have had a better resume and Pope would have taken the job at any point in the process.) 

I hope we get lightning in a bottle but I don't think Pope would have been considered if he wasn't a well respected UK grad.  His system at BYU was innovative and effective but not something I think he can really port directly to UK (so hopefully an example of innovative coaching rather than a system to which he is married).  Best case he is similar to Hubert Davis and Jon Scheyer who were also light on resume when they were hired but who have done a good job stepping into big roles at plum jobs.

I think they got a no from Scott Drew and a hard no from Dan Hurley, and I think it is likely that Billy Donovan let them know that he wasn't interested.  The next guys who would have seemingly be on the list may have been less desirable due to issues.  Guys like Bruce Pearl, Sean Miller, and Will Wade.  

I do find it interesting that the three major blue blood programs who have hired new head coaches in the past 3-4 years have gone with former players who were either long time assistants for their legendary coach or in Pope's case, and established mid major coach who is an alumnus of the school.  I think it is a sign that many coaches aren't as willing to jump into that frying pan of expectations that comes with coaching a blue blood program.  

As far as pure coaching ability though, I think the mid major ranks probably has some of the best coaches when it comes to game planning, scheming, and motivating.  I was never impressed with Cal's pure coaching ability.

There was an article in The Athletic in November of 23 where they ranked the coaches in tiers.  Tier one of head coaches in college basketball included:

• Rick Pitino/St. Johns
  • Bill Self/Kansas
  • Tom Izzo/Michigan State
  • Dan Hurley/Connecticut
  • Scott Drew/Baylor
  • Mark Few/Gonzaga
  • Kelvin Sampson/Houston
  • Tony Bennett/Virginia

I think you could debate whether Izzo should still be considered tier 1.  The others, I can't argue with.  

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, KB21 said:

As far as pure coaching ability though, I think the mid major ranks probably has some of the best coaches when it comes to game planning, scheming, and motivating.  I was never impressed with Cal's pure coaching ability.

Cal is a recruiter more than an X's and O's guy and by a sizable margin on both sides.  He shifted from having a burning desire to win to focusing more on maxing the number of NBA players every year.  He also isn't an analytics guy because he definitely stuck to his rotations despite all the data saying that certain personnel sets were dramatically better or worse than others.  (This is likely in part from having promised guys starting roles as we've seen several sets of players where the backups were dramatically better than the starters but the starters were top recruits given starting jobs so he sticks with them there while the guys who are better come off the bench ala Booker, Herro, Ulis, Sheppard, Dillingham, etc.)

I think this change in scenery will actually revitalize him and give him an opportunity to put more focus into winning without having to back down to demands from the AD.  My guess is that he will be back to winning games in the tourney very quickly whereas that wouldn't necessarily be the case if he stayed at UK and kept doing what he had been doing the last 5 years. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KB21 said:

Interesting.

There were rumblings weeks ago that Reed may potentially return for a second year. 
Kind of crazy considering how highly he’s projected to be drafted, but 🤷‍♂️

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, bird_dirt said:

There were rumblings weeks ago that Reed may potentially return for a second year. 
Kind of crazy considering how highly he’s projected to be drafted, but 🤷‍♂️

I've heard the same.  I don't think it makes a lick of sense if he is truly going to go where he is projected (especially given that the top of the draft will be stronger next year) but he seems like he would fit very well into what Pope seems to like to do.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AHF said:

I've heard the same.  I don't think it makes a lick of sense if he is truly going to go where he is projected (especially given that the top of the draft will be stronger next year) but he seems like he would fit very well into what Pope seems to like to do.

Reed is about as blue as you can be considering both his parents played bball at UK. Now his father’s former roommate and captain of the a championship team could potentially coach him. If he returns he either feels he needs more development or it’s a legacy decision. 

Just now, KB21 said:

That's Walter McCarty.  

Oh $hit! Clone!!! Whoa 😮 ps that wasn’t a Pepper Johnson Sugar Ray Leonard faux JR could be his uncle if you look close. I mean, kinda.