• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

How large a contract would you give Damp?

CBAreject

I know we should be wary that Dampier is playing well in his contract year, but there's a good chance that it's not a fluke.

I'm not enamored with him because of his previous underachievement, but we should still give Damp a look. So, the question is, how much is he worth to us. I'm not suggesting that we overpay for him at all. I also think we might have to overpay to get him to come here.

Some of you guys suggested paying 10 mil over 3 for Pryz (which I am AGAINST), so what would you pay for Damp?

I would give him a deal starting at 6 mil per year. I think he's the only high level true center we can get through draft or FA. I think we can do that and still have alot of flexibility. We should NOT sign a bunch of guys to 3 to 4 million per year deals, as some are suggesting. For example, if we sign Pryz (3), Sura (4), Jax (6), AND Collier (2), we will destroy our cap space if you factor in two draft picks (4 = 19 total!). Outside of Jax, those guys are all easily replaced.

• Premium Member

Damp wouldn't opt out to make less than he was going to make next year. I think it's Clear Damp wants to start at 9 - 10 million. That would put him in the range of 6 year 75.3 million at the lowest.

Would I pay Damp that much?

The real question is....

Who else do I have on the team?

Just for grins....

Say we drafted Okafur.

Say we resigned Jax to 6 year 28 million.

Say we Sign Lopez.

Say we traded JT/other first to LAC SNT for Quentin Richardson.

Then, I'd be willing to pay that much to Damp.

Because then, we'd have a team that would warranted him.

Damp, Okafur, Qrich, Jax, Lopez...

It's defensive. It has an inside out feel to it. It's not a total transition team but it would have a strong halfcourt presence.

However, on the other hand, if we got Howard. Resigned Jax. Didn't trade JT... I would probably be for not going after Damp. Our team is built for running. Damp is not a runner.

Dampier isn't opting out to make as much as he did this year, per se (although he wouldn't complain if he did, of course), it's more so he can get a long term deal out of this season, instead of just cashing one more big check next year.

I wouldn't assume that Damp is going to try and use this season as a baseline, but he isn't going to be a big bargain either.

I would figure that he is going to seek at least a five year deal, worth at least seven million per year. That assure him another 35-40 million dollars for his career and would make him feel like it was worthwhile to opt out of that last 9 million.