• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Dominique to Figure Large in Rebuilding Franchise

jaywalker72

Of all the officers announced as the new ownership group was introduces at Philips Arena during the game between the Hawks and the Miami Heat, the loudest ovation was not for any of the new owners or even new CEO Bernie Mullin, but for the newest Vice President of Basketball, Dominique Wilkins.

It should come as no surprise that Wilkins still holds his place in Atlanta lore and stays in the hearts of Hawks fans anywhere. What is surprising is that it took this long for an executive group to put Wilkins in a position to make a difference in the franchise that he still has an amazing passion for.

In past years, Dominique has served as sort of a figurehead or human mascot for the team, making appearances here and there, and representing the team well in that role. But it has been clear every minute of the time that he has been in that role that he longed to do something more for the franchise he defined for so many years.

At first, he thought he could do it as a coach, but the doors never seemed to be open there. Even after the dismissal of Lon Kruger in December 2002, the Hawks left a spot on the bench open rather than promote Wilkins from his role as special assistant. Wilkins even went so far as to interview for another assistant position, for the Philadelphia 76ers, but was turned down.

Then, as this ownership group emerged, with longtime Hawks fan/aficionado Michael Gearon, Jr. (and Sr.) as a major part of it, it was made clear to ‘Nique that he was thought of more than just a face in a media guide and that he could make more of an impact off the court than on it.

“They said ‘Screw that’,” remembered Dominique about being approached by Gearon and others. “They said coaches get fired, and I thought you know what, they’re right.”

‘Nique continued, “I wouldn’t have changed the timing of anything. To come in with these guys, who have a real passion here, it’s so great now. It takes away any of the negatives that might have been there.”

What the new owners want to do is use the enormous basketball knowledge and his relationships with others in basketball to develop a new culture in Atlanta and for the Hawks.

Part of that will be serving on what is being called a Free Agency Committee, which will consist (tentatively) of GM Billy Knight, Dominique, some of the owners, and sometimes the coach.

“I look forward to working with Billy and everyone,” says ‘Nique. “We’re going to work together to come to an agreement on what’s best for the team.”

This committee will be in charge of identifying the types of players the team wants, comparing that to a list of potential free agents, and then devising a plan to get those players to Atlanta. Dominique will play a major role in recruiting these players to Atlanta, using his status and his relationships to make it happen.

“This is not a job for me,” laughs Wilkins. “It’s fun, it’s a passion. When you’re passionate about something, it’s not a job. I love basketball and I love being a Hawk.”

“Dominique is more of an icon outside of Atlanta than it it,” says Gearon, who says he is amazed at the level of respect Wilkins enjoys around the league. “We went to the All-Star game and my jaw dropped because every player said how much they loved Nique.”

How much Wilkins can do in his role remains to be seen, but one thing is clear, he will have a voice among the voices. The owners see him as an untapped resource for making the franchise better on the court as well as off of it. They also see him as a representation of their “Attitude of Gratitude”, a part of their culture that they want to highlight, the embracing of their past.

Contemporaries of ‘Nique have rarely clung so fast to a franchise. Larry Bird, Isiah Thomas, and others have made their careers away from basketball with other franchises, and they weren’t traded away from their teams. Yet Wilkins remains as loyal and as passionate as the day he donned those Pac-Man Hawks unis.

Says Gearon, “You don’t find many superstars who would do what he has done for this franchise.”

And we’ll see just how much more he can and will do….finally.

That was the 1st thought that popped into my mind when I read that they had promoted Nique to this position. This is absolutely fantastic. The minute the FA period starts I wouldnt be surprised to see our new coach Doc and his old pal Nique at Kobes doorstep the same way Doc got TMac so long ago. Both of them can show Kobe that this is a city that will thrive off of him and he can turn it around in no time. Add Kobe to 2 solid draft choices, plus JT and Jax and we have a nice mix taking shape.

This is a HUGE step that will probably go overlooked around the NBA and certainly Chad Ford will never give any props for it, but it is a step that will IMO land us Kobe Bryant.

A nice mix with Kobe, JT, Jax and 2 first round choices......say maybe Josh Smith or Howard and another solid pick at 16-20....sorry Dolfan that is not a nice mix, that to me sounds like possibly the team to beat in the East. Man, we get Kobe here next year and I am sure Jax will stay and we need to resign Sura and another 2 big bodies (Pryz & either Collier, Mamadou or Rebraca) and with our 2 first rounders, 1 of them is lottery I think we can definitely challenge to be one of the best teams in the East next year.

JT

Kobe

Jax

Sura

Lottery pick

15-20th pick

Pryz

Mamadou, Collier or Rebraca

Hendu

Crawford

Diaw

Hansen

and a FA or two

I think this team will definitely be set for years to come, young and experience team at the same time

• Premium Member

I don't think there is enough in place to entice Kobe to sign with us. He's either going to resign with LA, move crosstown to the Clippers, or sign with a team with a solid core. Anyone remember his face when SanAntonio put them out of the playoffs last year?

He was crying, shaken, and determined to get back. This after coming off of a 3-peat! He's a tireless competitor and asking him to come to Atlanta would be asking him to rebuild our franchise. I don't think he's interested in rebuilding.

Anywho, I do believe that we have a GREAT chance at signing TMac - whom I like better anyway and believe would be a much better fit. That is...if he decides to leave Orlando. crazy.gif

• Premium Member

Knowing that within the next few years, we will have a completely different team on the floor. Chances are we'll have an identity - which we've not had since Nique left.

Thinking about all the top players in the league immediately brings up their colors. Names like Iverson, Kobe, Garnett, and Duncan are synonymous with their franchises. We don't have one of those... We don't have a LeBron or Carmelo either. Hell, we don't even have a Kwame, Chandler, or Miles to gripe about or for the league to take notice of.

It's all about to change though and I couldn't be more excited. Whether we tank, scrap it out, draft 1st or 5th...our franchise is heading for a new beginning. We will FINALLY have an identity.

In the nearly two decades that I've followed this team, I can't say that I've ever been more excited! I wouldn't rather be a fan of any other team in the league right now.

(Heh. Jay, what'chu know about that Pacman Hawk! grin.gif *LOL*)