• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Who Will take Telfair?

The guy is a serious project. Noone has entered the league with his size from high school. Let's face it - even with his talent there is an argument as to how productive he would be at the college level let alone the league. You cant blame the kid for taking the Adidas money and a team will pick him up even if it in the second round. It is more than likely however that a team will take him in the first round to capitalise on some of that marketability that got him the sneaker deal, but who?

All of the lottery teams will go for a safer (or taller) bet. So that means #14 and up. One bet is Atlanta at #17 as they are a team in such dire need of an identity that any excitment that could be brought in would be welcomed. But you could say that they need talent that can produce straight away. Utah have 2 picks and so could gamble on one of them at either #14 or #16.

My bet might be the (almost) home town New Jersey Nets at #22. They have new owners and they might be moving to Brooklyn. Telfair would add excitement for their fans and bring in new ones if they moved over the river where he would sell a lot of shirts. Also he could learn behind Jason Kidd who will soon be getting to the tail end of his career, so that in say 3 years he is ready to contribute meaningfully.

Anyone agree?

Great point ~ I hadn't considered the Nets taking him. In a way it's truly a gamble for them, as they have their bu pg already in place, and he's played commendably in spot time this year. However, this move to Brooklyn adds something...though Telfair wouldn't get much time behind Kidd.

Atlanta would be a good choice ~ but, as like everything else with this franchise, much depends on what direction the front office chooses to go in the offseason. Telfair won't work with JT here, that's for certain...cause, as with almost all other pg's, you can't play them together...but Telfair would most likely be a better "true pg," despite his scoring tendencies, than the mini-vet JT....

what to do.

You guys make a good point and but i think since Danny Ainge has three first round picks, Boston will take him. they don't have a very good point guard(Marcus Banks). Danny Ainge wants to run and gun, and telfair reportedly likes to push the ball up. BOston is building for the future so i say Bassy(the worst nickname ever)to BOston..

• Admin

I don't know where he'll end up. But the word I've heard is that he is far from being ready for the NBA game. I hope he does well. As he's another young player that I have a personal investment in. But by all accounts he's a guy who could, mentally, really benefit from the college game. I think he'll be a 4 year bust if he goes pro this year.

you do realize that he's already signed an agent and a deal with adidas for over a mil to two per year (depending on the incentives he meets).

hard to blame him for going pro....though this in no way contradicts my previous statements that most kids, esp. those with true talent, will end up making far more over the course of their careers by going to college for at least two years.

• Admin

yah I know about his adidas deal. Like I said, I've got "connections" on him. When they offer him money like that, there's no way he'll NOT take it. But my source just doesn't think he's ready and isn't sold on him making it. At least to the level that he's hyped to be.

I hope that isn't true. Because financially, I'd like to see him succeed for his benefit and mine.

.....thinks he needs the most. Does he want to use the draft picks to get some long, athletic guys in the post, or does he go the best available athlete route?

Right now, with only 4 players signed for next season and a lot of question marks, I don't see how Billy Knight can go into the draft thinking that he can pass on certain players.

One thing this team is needing right now is marketability. Sebastian Telfair will bring marketability to the team.

I believe that 17th pick may be used in a deal to move up and get Dwight Howard though.

• Admin

haha, no adidas stock. He, along with many other athletes, is a client of my significant other. I can't really say much more about it. But the relationship gives me the luxury of hearing a lot of inside stuff from people who are extremely close to the players. People who rate pretty high up in the sports world.

I only wish it translated into more free tickets!