• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Peter Vescey rumor on Hawks coach.

KB21

I don't know how true that is why would you fire Stotts just to bring in some one like Randy Whittman. I will except no less than Scott or Fratello. I would also like to see the new coach hold on the Armond Hill. I think Hill should be the top Assistant.

I don't want Scott at all. He is the epitomy of the term overrated. Atlanta doesn't need his ego.

I prefer Fratello, but it looks like the Hawks feel he is too half court oriented for their taste.

I also agree that it doesn't make much sense to fire Terry Stotts just to hire another unproven coach who isn't a clear upgrade at this point. I don't know what goes on behind the scenes though and won't pretend to know.

What I do know is that Wittman's tenure with the Cavs was just as bad a situation as Stott's tenure with the Hawks. Wittman was never going to win with the group of scrubs he was handed.

I'm somewhat indifferent at this time on Wittman, if he is indeed the guy the Hawks go after. Part of me is skeptical about the move, and part of me is excited about seeing a former Hawk come back to lead the team. Back when Randy was a player, you could tell that he was going to be a coach down the road.

I'm curious to see how close Wittman and Wilkins are. It would be interesting to see if Dominique is the driving force behind hiring him, if he is hired.

Wittman does have two connections. He is a former Hawks player, and he also coached and played with the Pacers when Billy Knight was working his way up the scouting ladder in Indiana.

Once again I don't think you guys understand why Stotts was fired. He was not fired because they have a golden boy in mind to replace him. He was fired because there's new ownership coming in, intent on showing that mediocrity of the past is no longer acceptable and we are a new franchise.

So just about everyone's gotta go except Knight who is the GM who started the wholesale shipping of our players. Regardless of who will replace him, Stotts just had to go. Otherwise people think that the ownership is satisfied with a 28-54 record.

Yes it might not be fair (although I think it is), and yes the team got shook half-way through, but that's the way of NBA coaching. Coaches are hired to be fired. There is no reason for Stotts to be the eastern conference dean just because we are sorry for him.

The new ownership's biggest task is to get the city of atlanta involved again. Show them that they understand that mediocrity is not acceptable and things are changing. That's what they're trying to do.

Now as for wittman himself, I don't know too much about him as a coach. My biggest concern in hiring a coach is is he a good teacher? Will he and his team be ready to teach young players team ball and fundamentals? I know he didn't do so great in cleveland. I'm not going to put too much thought into this because it's a peter vecsey rumor.

You make some strong points!!

I have been saying all along to many people, before I joined this board that Stotts would be fired because he couldn't handle the team. He couldn't take control of any of the players during the entire year, and the players flat out didn't respect him.

Wheather we are going after a big name coach or a rookie coach, they need to hold the quality of being able to take control of there own players, and be respected.

Something Terry Stotts just couldn't do.

Quote:

Once again I don't think you guys understand why Stotts was fired. He was not fired because they have a golden boy in mind to replace him. He was fired because there's new ownership coming in, intent on showing that mediocrity of the past is no longer acceptable and we are a new franchise.

So just about everyone's gotta go except Knight who is the GM who started the wholesale shipping of our players. Regardless of who will replace him, Stotts just had to go. Otherwise people think that the ownership is satisfied with a 28-54 record.

Yes it might not be fair (although I think it is), and yes the team got shook half-way through, but that's the way of NBA coaching. Coaches are hired to be fired. There is no reason for Stotts to be the eastern conference dean just because we are sorry for him.

The new ownership's biggest task is to get the city of atlanta involved again. Show them that they understand that mediocrity is not acceptable and things are changing. That's what they're trying to do.

Now as for wittman himself, I don't know too much about him as a coach. My biggest concern in hiring a coach is is he a good teacher? Will he and his team be ready to teach young players team ball and fundamentals? I know he didn't do so great in cleveland. I'm not going to put too much thought into this because it's a peter vecsey rumor.

• Premium Member

I said it before a couple of years ago when getting the retro coach was not stylish... However, I think Daily would do the job and he fits everything we need.

He has only had 2 losing season with 3 teams over 13 seasons. He's won 2 championship and coached one of the best teams in History! He commands respect.

He's a teacher and a mentor. The only coach to ever tame the personality of Rodman.

Get Daily!!!!

When was the last time Vescey was right about anything? If you're going to hire Whittman, you might as well keep Stotts. By the way, the reason Stotts was fired is he's not a very good coach. I think the hire will be someone with a lot of experience, someone who can teach young players.

I don't think the Hawks will hire a coach until

they have some idea of the team they will put

on the court next season.

That means waiting to to see who they pick

up in the draft as well as who they may be

able to land through FA.

There are too any unknowns at this point and

the coach should fit the personel and not vice-

versa.

Right now, there is no real team in place.

It's much easier to fit a coach to a team than

attempt to build a team around a coach.

• Premium Member

I know how you're going to reply before I even write this... but Chuck Daly is, I think, 74 years old.

Sure, Hubie's not a young punk and look at his success @ Memphis... and it's not like Daly couldn't hack the NBA grind again (as far as I know).

But here's the thing: first, at that age, he's little more than a bridge to the next coach. And second, Memphis isn't just a success based on Hubie... they've got a GM who's had even more success than Hubie in his NBA career, and is now working his magic for the Griz.

No, what Knight has to be looking for is what we all know he's looking for -- that coach whose reputation around the league is such that he can help them spend $20 million effectively. And in saying that, I'm not dismissing the respect held for Daly... if it comes down to a choice between Daly and Wittman, for example, I think Chuck can forego the Social Security check for awhile.

But that's what this search is all about... and that's why Stotts doesn't have a job right now.