• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Send JT to Phoenix.....

Diesel

• Premium Member

This is a great planning move.... I would send JT to Phonix for Jahadi White/Eisley and #7. We give Phoenix enough Capspace to Compete for Kobe. We take away probably #2 and #7....

Howard/Smith/Nelson

We would still have ample capspace to go after 1 good free agent (Jax) and 3 others (Sura, Collier, Pryz).

Our team is still in building mode. You say, why get White... White is a very good transistional player. Like CC/Hendu, White is in the final year of his contract. That means at the end of the season, we would have about 17 more million to spend on FAs or maybe just 1 free agent....

Here's the team:

Nelson/Eisley

Jax/Sura/Sato or Hansen

Smith/Diaw/CC

Howard/Collier/Hendu

White/Pryz

This team would allow Nelson, Smith, and Howard grow together, with an eye on Next year as being a year that we run for the gold....

I don't like the idea of adding Nelson, if this trade happenes, and we end up with Howard/Smith. I think we go big with the 17th pick, and grab a center.

Say we can go after one "big" free agent this offseason, why would you say Stephen Jackson? I think we go after Jamal Crawford, if we pick 1.

Jamal Crawford can be our 2 guard, and we can draft a point guard in the second round. If Jamal proves to us he can be our starting point guard we make him that.

• Premium Member

If you get Mike Fratello in here to coach, having 2 babies would be a great thing... First off, let's look at it....

1. It a PR Gem... The people of Atlanta would love to have 2 guys from Atlanta... especially two young guns. How do you know this Diesel? Remember a few years ago, Atlanta had 4 first rounders. We had Glover and Jumaine Jones. GA/Ga Tech. when we made those picks, though Terry was the top pick, all everyone could talk about was the fact that we got 2 home towners until we traded away Jones...

2. It suggests to the world that we're in no hurry. & the Hawks shouldn't be. You can't build Rome in a day. I would happily take Smith, Howard, and Nelson and add to them Foyle, Sura, Jax... and take my chances. The point is that with the above mentioned trade... We would have a good starting five that's in learning mode. At the end of the season when White, CC, and Hendu's contracts come off the books, we would have room to add 15 million more dollars worth of players.....It's the greatest flexibility because we'd have a young core of Howard, Smith, Diaw, Nelson and neither of them is being rushed to be great yet.

3. Fratello can put on his coaching hat again. If you give Fratello Young talent, he can teach. In three years, you can have a team that's ready to compete for championships.

What's the alternative.

We get "lucky" get Howard... Then in our mind we say... Hey.. We can't get the best player available... Let's get an older player. What sense does that make?

If you had a chance to take Kevin Garnett and Kobe Bryant would you not do it because of your fear of getting 2 HSers?

The point is that if you got the right coach and patience, you can have a great team with 2 HSers...

I don't see the problem.

It suggests to the world that we're in no hurry

you think this is a good thing for the new ownership and general public apathy of Atlanta "fans"? Add to the fact that any slip in their development will be met with widespread criticism and public humility?

Read Dolf's (I think) post on why two young bucks is a bad thing.

• Premium Member

First off, we shouldn't be in a rush to rebuild... If you want to be honest about our situation, Atlanta has a lot to prove to FAs... Any free agent we get, we will have to overpay. I mean, Even I have said pay Martin the max. Martin is not worth the Max... It would be equivalent to giving Juwaun Howard a Shaq like contract.

Secondly, we shouldn't be in a hurry to rebuild because this years FA class sucks... Outside of Kobe, Jax, Qrich, and Martin.. Who is worth the money? Next years class is much much better. If we put together a team that can be competitive with young players, then Next year, we would have a basis for bringing in one or two players who could either be a star or a serious role player.

Thirdly, you say that any slip in development will be met with widespread criticism??

Really?? Would not that be true of anybody we pick?? In fact, let's say we do pass up say Josh Smith for say Ben Gordon at #7. Now we get Gordon and he flops while Josh Smith does become the next Tmac... Don't you think we will take widespread criticism for not taking Smith when we had the chance?? Even if Gordon doesn't flop but Smith becomes the next Tmac, do you think we will ever hear the end of our folly??

For a case in point... Some time ago, we passed up Karl Malone to take Koncak! For a case in point, the Babcock years are riddle with "SAFE" picks because Babcock only believed in picking Seniors. Look what that got us. Do I have to pull out Roy Marble the next Jordan?? Who did we pass up to take Adam Keefe?

but what the hell, I'm going to anyway.

we shouldn't be in a rush to rebuild

I agree, unless it's for Kobe (if you read this board, you should know my reasons...I'll repeat them if you like) or, and I can't believe I'm saying this, KMart (not for the max, never for the max). Barring those two, be conservative. When July abuts the month we're in, perhaps I'll post more on this, but FA's are slowly getting used to the current CBA and the ramifications on contracts and salaries.

this years FA class sucks... Outside of Kobe, Jax, Qrich, and Martin.. Who is worth the money?

firstly, I can't believe you lump this group together, perhaps that wasn't your intent. Jax and QRich esp....hmm, good numbers and youth...on [censored] ass teams. Depends on what sort of money you're talking about.

Next years class is much much better.

Agreed, but so is the competition and projected teams under the cap/decent money to spend. Right now, we face Utah, the Clipps, and Denver for full money, Suns and Spurs (I think) with solid money. that's it.

widespread criticism??...Really?? Would not that be true of anybody we pick?? In fact, let's say we do pass up say Josh Smith for say Ben Gordon at #7

Firstly, and you should know this, I've never even mentioned Gordon. That'd be a terrible pick....but he is known at basketball fans in Atlanta (who don't know HS people outside of perhaps Howard). But no, the expectations are generally less for a pg. Furthermore you speak of drafting TWO HSers....hmm, no reference there. It's a bad idea, even given your position that we're in no rush. It simply won't work primarily due to attitudes, ego's, lack of winning, and pubic (media inc.) pressure.

the Babcock years are riddle with "SAFE" picks because Babcock only believed in picking Seniors.

When did I mention safe? I simply said banking on two high risk guys on a young team and no fanbase (we're not the Pacers) is one too many roosters in the coup, a coup without a an alpha male, or arguably a league wide beta male.

that's pretty much why, though I'm sure I left some things out.

PS - I simply love how you introduce new arguments while ignoring points made that might be valid.

PSS - I'm signing off for awhile to take a nap and study for a pressing exam. Any lack of reply will not be due to conceding said points.