• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hmm, could this very possible lineup win?

Admin

Lets say that the Hawks #1 priority this offseason is Kenyon Martin. Lets say we offer him the max or close to it. That locks us up at the 4 for years. We still have JT under contract so unless we move him we are better than average at PG. I also think that we will resign Jax around the MCE or a little more.

So, now that leaves us with a starting rotation of:

PG - JT

SG - ??

SF - Jax

PF - K-Mart

C - ??

Now, we take some of our leftover money and throw it at the big athletic guard that can play with JT, Jamal Crawford. With Diaw and Hanson being the guards off the bench and possibly Sura thats a pretty stout guard rotation. We could score on basically anyone with Sura and JT, or defend anyone with Crawford and Diaw, etc. Jax is Jax and we know the great things that he can bring to this team and should only get better. Then in the draft we try and get the best possible frontcourt players that we can find. We might even have enough money left over for a guy like Foyle or Okur to play center for us.

If you have Kenyon you really need a team that can push

the ball and make great passes. JT will give a really

good pass every once and a while but I just don't think

you can keep him. Honestly? I don't think the team will

get much in FA this year. This franchise has so much to

prove that I think players aren't going to want to sign

here til the know the team is headed in the right direction.

Besides, isn't next year supposed to be a better FA crop? If

so, I feel the team might aswell hold off on major FA signing

unless they can get Kobe which isn't likely despite LA's

problems. I think Phil is gone and Kobe will stay.

There is no question that the team suggested with a few other players could make the playoffs but we also need to consider do we want a team that just makes the playoffs or have a legit title shot.For that the hawks will need a top level player or players.I would hold off and build the team the right way.That doesn't mean not sign any one but I don't feel the hawks should blow alot of money this off season!

I dont think that by signing K-Mart to a max near contract and either Okur or Foyle, plus Jax and maybe Sura will eat up all of our cap room.....but it will be close. However, next year we get another what 7-8 mil to go after another marquee FA next year. I agree that we shouldnt blow all of our cap money this year, but we need to keep Jax first of all because he is on the verge of a major breakout in this league. We can also get our prototype PF in K-Mart and we should do anything within reason (IE give him near the Max) to sign him. Right there we have our SF/PF of the future locked up. Now, if by some chance we do luck up and get Howard then maybe we dont go after Martin unless they are sure Howard can play center for us when Martin is on the floor.

I think alot will be cleared up on Wednesday when we learn what pick the Hawks get. If it is pick 1 or 2, then power forward is set and dollars can be expended elsewhere. In this scenario (i.e., Howard or Okafur through the draft) I would definitely resign Jackson and Sura and then make a play for a center like Foyle, Blount or Okur. With the seventeenth pick, I would look at a either a developmental center or best player available.

If the Hawks do not get the one of the top two picks in the draft, things change quite a bit. With the 6th or later pick the Hawks are likely looking at either a small forward or point guard (the exception being Biedrins - I don't know much about him, but if he is the pick, then the plan looks more like scenario #1). I am thinking Josh Smith, Deng, Livingston, Harris and Gordon. I would prefer Smith. If it is Smith, then the question is, do you sign Jackson? Probably no because you can rotate Diaw and Smith at the 3 (Smith may not be ready to start) with Sura, Diaw, Hanson and maybe a draft pick at the two. While smith has potential I am not expecting 18+ points a game, so we need some scoring. This is where K-Mart really comes into play. Might as well through some money at him and a center. If K-Mart is not an option, the power forward spot is a major weakness and probably will need to look at short term filler while a draft pick (17? - Jefferson, Splitter, Humphries, etc.) develops. Also, if no big name is signed this year (ala K-Mart), then lots of money should be available the following year.

I agree that's it's difficult to gage until after the draft. But I must say that I think we can be succcessful by signing Kmart(but not quite the max) now and also maybe a center (but only if they fit in our system and they are worth the money). As dolfan stated, you've then got your pf and sf locked up for the future(and I also agree Jackson is a star in the making at SF).

The question is what to do with JT? If we kept him in the above situation, we are lacking one big thing, a top-notch shooting guard. Can Josh Smith play SG?

But in any case, we will have money next year also. Fill some spots you can fill now(through draft and free agency) and then gage your weaknesses for next offseason for another position. Go ahead and decide if JT is the future or do we trade him for a pick to try to pick up the pg of the future?

I have faith in Knight and I'm excited to see what unfolds.