• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

David Aldridge Article - See Info On DJ

Traceman

As much as DA is usually down on the Hawks, it doesn't surprise me that he is critical of DJ. He probably framed his question to lon in the following fashion. "Coach, you have to be disappointed in the progress of DerMarr Johnson as a #6 overall pick. Don't you think he should be dominating the competition here?" I do think Lon's comments regarding DJ are interesting though. Not because of his analysis of DJ's game (he's right on) but because it indicates that we are probably in the market for an upgrade at either SG or SF. Lon said that DJ could improve but still see a decrease in PT and his comments alluded to the possibility of a trade that would bring in a player that will cut into DJ's minutes.

I also find it interesting that DA praised Jefferies while criticizing DJ when DJ shot a higher percentage than Jefferies and averaged more than 5 ppg more.

As far as the questions regarding AI go, I think all of them are valid. Interesting stuff!

http://espn.go.com/nba/columns/aldridge_david/1408022.html

So here's my question. Let's pretend the Hawks drafted a small forward this year. He was a junior in college who left school early. His first taste of pro basketball was to play in the Shaw summer league. Over 6 games here's his line.

In 28.8 minutes, he averaged 13.8 pts, 4.5 rebounds, 1.3 assists and 1 steal. He was asked to be the 3rd option at ball handler and guard the best scorer of the other teams P.G., S.G. or Small Forward. How would you rate his performance.

Most G.M's would pat themselves on the back for finding a quality 3 in the draft.

That player gentlemen is DeMarr Johnson. The only difference is that instead of Playing 32 minutes a night for Cincinatti the last 2 years taking 25 shots a game, he's been playing 24 minutes a game for us and taking 10 shots a game.

Before anyone goes icky balooky and states Dion is better than Demarr let's remember 3 important things.

1. The offense was running through Dion at the summer league as the Hawks were trying to showcase him for trade bait.

2. DeMarr was playing the 3 and Dion the 2. So height and weight matchups were greatly in Dion's favor.

3. Much of the summer league games are about transition basketball and not offensive sets. Meaning that the 1 and 2 guard get a great many more opportunities to go to the basket.

Now remembering that Dickau is actually a year older than Demarr let's look at his line. In 5 less minutes a game, he scored 5 less points, had 2 less rebounds and 4 more assists. The stat line is very compatible. Why these writers (and people on these boards) expect him to be the next coming of MJ or to put up 20 a game I don't know. Probably the same people who said the Manning for Nique trade was a good idea.

Give him 2 more years and he will be putting up 20 a game. Don't rush the kid.

And David Aldridge is a horse's rear.

Guest Walter

...in terms of making an NBA player than 2, 3, or 4 years of college. ONE NBA season has more practices, summer games, and games in it than 3 average college seasons.

Dickau may be a year older but he didn't play organized ball for a year because he transfered from Washington to Gonzaga. Again, DD's experience in college doesn't translate as well and isn't as much as DJ's expereicne IN the pros.

W

Wasn't there a guy in Toronto, who sat for a couple of years and didn't do diddly. He later went to Orlando and is one of the best (if not the best) all-around player in the NBA. What's his name...OOOOH Tracy McGrady. Look the NBA is not instant coffee. It takes time to develope into a 'baller'. Most 4yr college player need time to develope and with the NBA going younger it will now take even more time.

As a matter of fact we have a player on our team that we picked 10th and was dogged his frist year and change, but now we're all on his jock.

Who were those other 3 kids who came out of highschool and didn't do jack their first couple of years: Kobe Bryant, Kevin Garnett and Jermaine O'neal.

• Admin

This will be his 3rd season. He should be producing respectably this year. I think he did good last year. But obviously the staff and us, the fans, want more out of him and he has yet to deliver everything that his attributes hint is there.

In response to one of your comments though:

1. The offense was running through Dion at the summer league as the Hawks were trying to showcase him for trade bait.

I don't think so. Dion has played extremely well in these games for the last two years. He's just heads above the rest of the talent out there. He somewhat translated that into production on the floor last year before losing his will to play D resulting in lots of bench time. They may be shopping him and his performance in those games will help. but it's par for the course for Dion over the last two years. They weren't running things through him specifically for that reason and DJ wasn't getting left out in the cold just to showcase someone else.

as a rookie than DJ was as a rookie. 5th year seniors like DD and Mo Pete have a tremendous advantages over guys who leave school early during their rookie seasons.

Comparing DD NOW to DJ NOW is a lot more fair than comparing DD now to DJ as a rookie, particularly when DD is a year older than DJ.

Agreed. I wonder that if DJ had been a Freshman this year in college, would he have come out? I think that maybe with the infusion of the Euro players out there that some of the HS and College Freshman will think twice about coming out because not as many teams will be willing to wait 3 years on a player anymore with a high draft pick. Also, DD was the man on his team at Gonzaga, DJ was the 3rd option on his team. DD also played a game that was much more favorable to the pro game than DJ played. Hopefully we get lucky and they both come on like gangbusters this year, then Pete will look like a genious for having a "plan" like that....... smile.gif

Guest Walter

And McGrady busted out his 3rd year setting up demand for his MAX deal without his having a year of college so we should expect this or better from DJ in his third year with a year of college? I've always been a proponent of the 3 year plan for players drafted so young as DJ. This is his 3rd year and it will be seen what he will be bringing.

I was never down on JT because of his personality (including on court aggressiveness) to go along with his physical attributes and skills. DJ has more athleticism but lacks the other two components to greatness.

You keep bringing up kids that came out of HS when DJ didn't. He came out after a year od major college ball. Regardless, Bryant and Garnett showed more OUT OF HS than DJ did in his first two years. O'Neal never got a chance to play in Portland.

W

What DJ really needs is a strong personality on the team that has more talent than him. He could easily become the next Pippen, but he needs his MJ. As much as I love SAR and JT, and regardless of how much talent they have, I just dont see them having the type of personality that MJ has to lead his troops and make them better. How about we swing a trade for MJ? Hendu for MJ....... smile.gif

Or bring back Nique for one year and let hiim mentor to DJ on the court.......he looked good in that commercial dunking his chips, maybe he can still get up and windmill? smile.gif

Every young player is not created equal. Surely DJ doesn't have to be T Mac or KG before you will consider him a success because if that's the case, he will likely never be succesful in your eyes. Rashard Lewis is a long way from those guys but he's pretty damn good. If DJ becomes as good as Lewis is within the next couple of years, would he be a disappointment in your eyes?

If DerMarr doesn't break out this year and become more than just capable, then the Hawks have to look in a different direction next season (or at least get another young player that will serve as competition).

This is his year. Unless a trade is made, the starting small forward position is his to lose right now. He knows what his role is going to be, and he knows what the coaches are expecting him to improve on.

It is time to sh!t or get off the pot.

All I'm saying is that we can't call the guy a bust, yet. Now if he can't produce atleast 14ppg then he needs to be dealt. You can't realistically expect him to avg. 20ppg. He will be a third option on our roster and that depends upon how often we kick-it down low to Theo.

Play 1: SAR on the block

Play 2: JT drive/kick/jumper

Play 3: JT drive and kick to DJ or Dion(sf) or SAR on the block and kick to DJ or Dion(sf) from the double to the spot up or slasher

Play 4: Theo on the block and continue with Play 3

That's about it. DJ or DG, for that matter will only average 14ppg. Put backs/fast breaks/hussel are the only things that will change that.

Now if either or both can do that, then I would call them a success.

You are right about his offensive numbers. He is currently the #3 option on this team. If you rank PPG to the option on the team you would think that SAR would be the highest (21PPG), then JT (19PPG), then DJ (14-15PPG), then the rest, but if you have 1-2 other 10PPG players on the court at the same time, he will get even less looks.

If we do make a big trade for a #3 option (Jones, Lewis, Mash, Miller) or something int hat neighborhood, he will become the #4 option and we could see him have a great season adn average about 10-11PPG. Remember offensive PPG is no the only thing out there.

I believe that the reason EMuss wants him to focus on D at the summer games is becasue they believe they will bring in a #3 guy. Picture a line-up of JT/DJ/Lewis/SAR/Theo. DJ needs to be the fast break/Defense/all round player. If he can shut down the other team's SG/SF and get 10-11PPG with a line-up like that, I would take him any day of the week.

Guest Walter

...that does not mean he would not be a "bust" if he became our 4th option on offense and a perimeter defensive stopper. Ira was our 5th option and a better team defense energizer if not a better perimeter defensive stopper late last season and he was free in terms of draft currency.

I simply want what our draft currency paid for out of DJ.

W

Guest Walter

Lewis was a mid 2nd rder BTW but no, DJ wouldn't be a dissappointment even as a #6 pick if he became as good as Lewis. I'll even conceed you a year of age and development. If DJ can be as good in his coming 3rd year as a pro as the straight out of HS, Lewis was TWO years ago in his 3rd year, then DJ will certainly not be a bust.

Given that DJ has yet to shoot 40% from 2 and over 36% from 3 for a season and Lewis has shot 47.5% and 40% respectively for his career, I don't see that happening.

W

It is irrelevant where DJ was drafted relative to Lewis. Those were two different drafts and two different sets of circumstances. Obviously, if Lewis was drafted in the 2nd round, a lot of teams missed on him. besides, the only thing we should be concerned about relative to DJ's draft position is what players who were drafted AFTER him in the 2000 draft do in the NBA. That is the only thing that was within our control.

LOL! I HOPE you would "concede me a year in age and development" particularly when you want to insist that DJ is farther along in his development than DD despite the fact that DD is a year older and despite the fact that he spent five years in college to DJ's one. Although both DJ and DD are going to improve a lot more over the next few seasons, DD is much closer to being a finished product than DJ is. At any rate, thank you for the concession.

As far as the stats go, DJ probably won't shoot quite as high a percentage as Lewis does but I think he can be almost as productive. If DJ can put up around 14-15 ppg as the 3rd option on this team, I will be VERY happy. Lewis averaged 14.8 ppg in his 3rd season as the 2nd option and 16.8 ppg last year as the 2nd option. If DJ comes anywhere near that kind of production as the 3rd option, I think this team will make the playoffs.

One side note. If we make a trade, DJ could end up being the 4th or 5th option or not even in the starting lineup and he could STILL be a MUCH better player than he was this year. Tim Thomas is a perfect example of that. So for me at least, I will judge DJ's performance on how he actually plays rather than basing it ONLY on his statistics.