• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I'm not so quick to think AW as a 1-season Hawk

_sturt_

The theme of Billy's transaction history is to acquire versatility... and few players come along as versatile and as multi-talented as Twoine.

Thus, I'm tending to be not-so-cynical about this one... it has the makings of a win-win situation for both parties long-term.

• Premium Member

He played all 5 positions for the C's during one season. That's some damn versatility. I really like Walker's game, I'm not really that impressed with his shot selection at times. I wasn't really against the trade when it came down, but it took me a second to remember Walker's value. His stock has really fallen since being traded from Boston.

He's a solution for us at the 4 and he's going to put up some impressive stats. Come trade deadline, there might be some deals out there on the table that are too good to pass up.

• Premium Member

The only question is what about J-Smooth?

Suppose J-Smooth shows that he has a game that needs to be invested into? I guess J-Smooth will eat at Harrington's table until its time to take over that table.

But Like you say, I believe that Toine being 27 and BK's love for versatility... Toine could be the new identity of the Hawks? At the same time, I think he would also be the elder statesman...

It's going to be interesting. This is my -- season as a Hawks fan and I have learned 1 thing.. Just because it looks good on paper doesn't mean it's good.

However, we will see.

• Premium Member

In that other thread. It looks good until the losing starts and the honeymoon is over. The foundation for things not turing out as well as some predict is based upon the situations surround the players we've acquired. Both of these guys REALLY have something to prove.

Could be VERY good...could be bad; though I don't think very bad.

show that he could be a longterm solution for this team. I don't think BK brought him in here just to trade him, I think he is BK kind of guy. If he comes in here and plays well, I don't think BK will be looking to trade him at the deadline. Rather, I think BK will try to figure out what it will take to keep him in the fold next year. What BK ultimately decides will be based on Toine's performance.

It depends not on whether Billy wants him long term, but if #8 wants to be here long term.

Just like last season with Wallace...I believe if Billy felt Sheed would be open to signing in Atlanta, he might have given that a shot....instead, he was dealt.

No question BK will watch and see if #8 is worth the dough...but it will ultimately be Walker's openness to resigning in Atlanta that will or will not force BK's hand in the matter....

• Premium Member

And come trade deadline, we could be looking at some sweet deals. Wrestle with Toine at the end of the season, get something good that we can hold onto for awhile... I hate to say it man, but I couldn't resist pulling the trigger on a good PG or PF/C prospect.

regardless of what happens with Walker this season...you already know what's going play out after next season. We won't offer him a contract, tell him to play the field (note, more teams have money next year) and see what he can get ~ then decide on a) how we liked him b) whether or not this new offer is going to be worth it.

unless you're a true max salary guy (not likely) or a proven role player without superstar potential (like Bowen), that's how it plays out almost every time with rFAcy...really, the team's stupid not to do it.

Quote:

regardless of what happens with Walker this season...you already know what's going play out after next season. We won't offer him a contract, tell him to play the field (note, more teams have money next year) and see what he can get ~ then decide on a) how we liked him b) whether or not this new offer is going to be worth it.

unless you're a true max salary guy (not likely) or a proven role player without superstar potential (like Bowen), that's how it plays out almost every time with rFAcy...really, the team's stupid not to do it.

I disagree. I think whether the Hawks make the playoffs or not will play a HUGE factor into Walker's decision....