• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Denberg Article on the Hawks working out voluntary

Admin

In reply to:

INSIDE THE NBA

Committed: Summer monthly workouts could help Hawks reach goal of making playoffs.

Jeffrey Denberg - Staff

Sunday, June 16, 2002

No rest in the offseason

In a league of affluent players who generally disappear from the last game of the season until a point in mid-September when they can no longer avoid one another, this is pretty special:

The Hawks got together for three days at Philips Arena last week to prepare themselves for a playoff run. They will be back each month of the offseason, working on the court, taking coaches' instruction and generally bonding for a rebound campaign after three consecutive duds.

"We all said we want to make the playoffs, that it's our goal," center Theo Ratliff said. "Well, you have to prove you mean it, and this is how you do it."

Every roster player showed up except Emanual Davis, still awaiting clearance on his surgically repaired left wrist, and Toni Kukoc, who remained in Chicago while his son had minor surgery. In addition to the roster players, two free agents participated: Ira Newble, whom the Hawks plan to sign in July, and point guard Matt Maloney, who played with them two years ago. Maloney, still being paid by Houston, sat out last season when his agent became too ambitious financially on his behalf.

How did it start? Coach Lon Kruger said it would be nice if his players could spend time together after last season's series of disastrous injuries. Hawks All-Star Shareef Abdur-Rahim did the rest.

"This is a chance for us to bond together," Abdur-Rahim said. "We had so many new players and so many players who missed most of the season. We all know if we're going to make the playoffs, we've got to get together and work."

Forward Chris Crawford (torn knee ligament) and guard Dion Glover (broken bone, right foot) were given medical clearance to participate. Ratliff, who has been working on the court for nearly a month, also is free of limitation. Davis is almost ready, general manager Pete Babcock said.

As long as coaches are on the court, the Hawks are limited by specific NBA restrictions. They can't play five-on-five or four-on-four. Smaller groups are fine, and the coaching staff is allowed to teach, something Kruger took advantage of last week.

"I almost feel like the season's about to begin," he said. "This is great for our guys to build team chemistry. It's great for our staff."

How badly do the Hawks need these sessions? They led the league in games lost to injury with 319.

Lucas' dubious move

The skills of rising high school senior LeBron James --- who broke his left wrist at an all-star game last weekend --- are so obvious that Cavaliers coach John Lucas' decision to illegally work him out in Cleveland is simply bizarre.

Scouts say that when the 6-foot-8 James, a point guard, does enter the draft, he will be the No. 1 pick, and that no one else is even close. Furthermore, the Cavaliers apparently will offer their point guard, Andre Miller, a maximum contract after the coming season.

So what did Lucas get in return for a $150,000 fine and two-game suspension except notoriety?

Hawks invitees

The Hawks are bringing in groups of draft hopefuls while preparing for the 37th pick. Included Monday is Maryland's Final Four MVP Juan Dixon. The others, Arkansas guard Jannero Pargo, Valparaiso forward Lubos Bartos, Kentucky forward Tayshaun Prince; Southern Mississippi guard Elvis Mims and Troy State forward Lemayn Wilson.

There will be six more in Thursday, including Thomas Terrell, who led Georgia State in scoring last year.

I'd rather have Matt Maloney rather than Email.Matt is

sticking around the team for some reason.I wouldn't be

surprised if he is signed when Vaughn leaves the team.

Toni wasn't there...I read he his son had minor surgery,

but I don't know...something doesn't seem right to me.

This is the type or reason Toni will probably come into

training camp out of shape again.

Atleast Theo is there joining in.

This is a pretty regular thing as he goes to the same bar that I work part-time at and hang out at on weekends. He comes in with some of the other Rockets players every once in a while. Well I always tell him that I would like to see him back with the Hawks and he told me that he would either want to play for Atlanta or Houston, but those are about the only teams he would want to play for. He didnt mention anything about this deal though. I would love to see him back with us, but if he is going to replace JV I sure hope we draft Maddux and bring in Cookie/Scoonie to compete. Might as well get used to the idea also that Email will be here next year. He isnt that bad though if he is used right. He can shoot from outsite, can play the point and plays very good defense. He is a very nice situational player for us.

Good stuff here man. I like that they're making a concieous effort at building and maintaining chemistry with the stars and the scrubs. If JV splits, I would'nt be so upset at Matt coming off the bench, last time I saw him play he had a great stroke from long range and a tight handle, he's just not gonna take anybody off the dribble and force it inside like Jacque can. I'm especially amped over the bit on Theo, and I'm betting he regains all of his value and then some by mid season cause he's staying on his game this summer.

• Admin

not long before he hurt his wrist he was hitting those shots though. I was as hard on him as anyone (I gave him the name E-dump). But truth be told he did pick it up about the same time JV started picking it up. He is a good backup, but only a backup. He's not a starter. We tried to use him as a starter adn it just didn't work. As a backup I think he could be a very key part of this team. He plays good man to man D and good team D and we wouldn't be completely punished if we had him and JT in the game together for short periods. If he continues to improve his shot selection as he did before he hurt himself he'll be a fine backup. He's not going anywhere anyway so fughetaboutit.

Yeah and keeping people like him is exacutally why

we will not make the playoffs.Pete has always had

a soft spot for bums like Email/Recasner/Jim Les/

Henry James and all the other scrubs we have

gave meaningful minutes to.

As far as Email picking it up goes....He is about

a career 38% shooter.He wasn't going to pick

it up all that much.

"He plays good man to man D and good team D "

That's why we were the worst defensive team in

the league when he was a starter.His defense looked

the best on a extremely poor defensive team.But

in reality,good players can score on Email at will.

"He's not going anywhere anyway so fughetaboutit."

And that is why you can fughetabout our playoff chances

and watch another 38 win season.

Email should be dumped for a more talented player.

He was cut in Houston for Matt Maloney and he has been

cut more times that Chris Gatling has seen trade papers.I

remember how Davis stunk in Houston and he will stink

here aswell because he isn't good at one thing including

defense.