• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Best player argument??

Diesel

• Premium Member

First off,

You can't compare the team's success to the player's success. That's the same kind of logic that made Dominique not one of the 50 greatest of all time even though it was evident that he was.

Back to the comparison....

When I look at KG, I see a guy who can play all 5 positions equally well. So here's how I break it down. Duncan is probably the best PF in the game right now. KG is the best all around player period. The fact that KG is putting up 20/15/6 says it all.

However, KG is going to be challenged very soon by the heir apparent. LeBron James. The difference between James, Kobe, Tmac is that James is all about the team. James has the skill of Jordan and the IQ of Kidd. Right now, KG to me is still the most dominant force in the game. What I mean by that is that he can find several ways to beat you. Shaq also is a dominant force, but his time has passed. On the Horizon is Bron and Wade...

Actually you can because Duncan lead his team. David Robinson was old by the time Duncan got there.

If Kevin Garnett was nearly the player everyone thinks he is then he would have titles by then.

A lot of the time people would say all Dominique could do was score.

No one is knocking Garnett but some of us don't think he is better then Duncan. Titles do matter. Duncans supporting cast isn't as good as Kevins yet one has 2 titles and one has none.

Quote:

First off,

You can't compare the team's success to the player's success. That's the same kind of logic that made Dominique not one of the 50 greatest of all time even though it was evident that he was.

Back to the comparison....

When I look at KG, I see a guy who can play all 5 positions equally well. So here's how I break it down. Duncan is probably the best PF in the game right now. KG is the best all around player period. The fact that KG is putting up 20/15/6 says it all.

However, KG is going to be challenged very soon by the heir apparent. LeBron James. The difference between James, Kobe, Tmac is that James is all about the team. James has the skill of Jordan and the IQ of Kidd. Right now, KG to me is still the most dominant force in the game. What I mean by that is that he can find several ways to beat you. Shaq also is a dominant force, but his time has passed. On the Horizon is Bron and Wade...

• Premium Member

Scott Williams have more titles than Duncan and KG combined... It means nothing.

Karl Malone has no titles... Is he less than Duncan?

Before you boldly try to answer that... Let me say that Duncan would not have sniffed 1 win against Jordan's bulls. Utah played them twice..

The point is that regaurdless of how good 1 player is, 1 player does not win a championship. It requires a team and a good team and a healthy team.

KG's first good team was last year. That team didn't stay Healthy.

You downplay David Robinson and Tony Parker... But David Robinson was STILL a 8.5 ppg, 7.9 rpg, 1.73 bpg in 26 mpg player in his final season. Yes, he was old, but what other player can you put on the floor for 26 minutes and get those kind of numbers??

Even Now, Olowakhandi...

PPG

RPG

BPG

MPG

Let's not be fooled, Duncan didn't do all the work alone. He had a very good team beside him. Still, when you separate the team and put Duncan vs. KG... KG can do it all and do it all well. Inside, Outside, 1-5 and can defend all positions. Duncan is the best PF in the game.

Take the entire world as your player pool. Choose captains and pick teams.

No matter how they were picked, there would only be ONE impossible match-up.

Only one man who there is no answer for. Not even close.

One man who would command the attention of multiple players,

regardless of who was on your all-world team.

SHAQUILLE O'NEIL !!

Shaq is beyond the shadow of a doubt the greatest basketball

player in the world. His numbers may not always reflect this, but it does not change the fact.

Duncan and Garnett both put up great numbers and are

great players. Garnett the better athlete. Duncan the

better player.

Neither could check Shaq or score on him at will as

he could do them without any effort.

• Moderators

Quote:

danny- u mention DUNCANS strengths and use it to support ur answer, but the same could be done w/ GARNETT

1)Garnett is the better PERIMETER PLAYER

2)Garnett is a better PERIMETER DEFENDER and STEALER

I think that does summarize why Duncan is better and more valuable. In my view, it is much easier to find good perimeter players than good post players. That means Duncan is providing skills that are more scarce than other players (kind of like why Shaq is so incredibly valuable despite not having 1/10 of the versatile skills of premier perimeter players).

I'd take Duncan over Garnett on my team everytime if starting from scratch. Like someone said, if you took the TWolves and Spurs rosters without Garnett and Duncan and assigned Duncan and Garnett to one team or the other, I'd favor the team with Duncan in either case to reach the NBA finals over the other roster.

That said, Garnett is an amazing player and I love his attitude on and off the court.

Don't want to go into it in detail 'cos one thing is clear we agree on -- they're both damned good.

I also picked Duncan because I was looking at entire careers, not just last year.

Today, its apples and oranges. I picked Duncan over KG (my favourite player in the NBA, by the way) because he does Big Man things better. Its my preference. Thats all.

Give me The Diesel! Shaq is the ONLY guy in the NBA who makes ANY team (yes, even the Hawks) a threat to win it all. No one player in the league can even come close to stopping him in a one on one matchup. KG and Duncan can somewhat neutralize each other but Shaq would kill either of them one on one. The Heat gave up 3 of their starters for him (and 2 of their 3 best players) and he STILL has led them to the best record in the EC. You think KG and D-Wade or Duncan and D-Wade would be as formidable a duo? I don't.