• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What to do with Walker

andycard69

I personally like Walker and what he can bring to the table. However Im sure everyone can agree he isnt the type of player who can be "The Man". He is at his best when he is the co-star or the side-kick.

What does this mean for the Hawks? I think it means that he will not be a part of the future for this team. Look at the direction the team is going, young and athletic players who run. Walker isnt old by anymeans but he is no longer a spring chicken either. I think Al is the future at PF, Smoove is the SF of the future and Chill will be the SG. Add someone like Swift and draft a PG and we are starting to look like the Suns. Walker is a halfcourt player and there is nothing wrong with that its just that already this team is at its best when they run.

I say trade Walker for what you can get for him or just let him walk at the end of the year. The best contract I could see offering him is 3 yr and $21 mil.

Keeping Walker...so much depends on how Knights serves as a prospector of the upcoming market.

Here are the facts:

-Walker is receiving a max contract right now, what most would consider overpaid (like SAR, Jamison, etc.). That contract expires after this season.

- He is 28 years old (wont be 29 till just prior to the next season).

- The CBA will likely be renegotiated soon, decreasing the number of max years that can be attached to a contract.

- His numbers this year, 20/9/3 are right about his career averages (up in boards, down in assists).

- History would tell you that he can't 'carry' a team, for numerous reasons, but that he is a great 'second option', with the ability to serve as both a three point 'threat' and top-5 handles for a pf. He also passes extremely well, perhaps second only to webber in terms of that skill from a pf.

- He will likely be seeking a long-term deal, perhaps sacrificing some money for a full seven year deal (whatever team that has it at the end of the sesaon, retains his bird rights). This contract will likely be the 'last big one' that he signs, carring him to near his mid-30's at which point it is likely that his game will be on the decline, perhaps garnering only a two to three year deal AT BEST at that time.

- He's in his 'prime' now in terms of age, and potential money making on a contract...and is less likely to be in this position three years from now, due to his age and whatever the new agreement in the CBA.

SO....a three year deal won't work. We either have to decide that we like Walker and his fit here as a 3/4 (depending on need for the team, he can play either position, though defends the four much better imo).

What's Knight to gauge?

- how much does Walker truly fit here with what the team wants to do over the next several (two to three) years. Does he fit?

- if it came down to it, and it likely would, would he rather have Harrington or Walker? JSmoove will enevitably take on of their positions, Walker's proven starter material...and there remain questions about Harrington's true abilities as a full time starter...as well as his position (I'd like to see him at the four, as I don't think he defends three's particularly well, doesnt shoot very well from distance, and has somewhat limited handles. But putting him at the four would require a bigger body/rebounding focused center...).

- What can he get for Walker now, and, if gotten, would that trade fit into the future plans (we dont particularly need 'more cap room right now'. We need talent...

- Would Walker resign here for a lesser contract? Many players consider this a slap in the face...but the climate of the NBA, and indeed the CBA, has changed dramatically since many of these 'high money players' signed their last deals...he's shown that he can't carry a team (stated above) and therefore, in my mind, shouldn't garner a 'max type deal.'

So ther'es the lay of the land. I'm sure I left out a few things as I went through the diatribe. But it's food for thought and things to take into consideration.

I think Knight is trying to build a team more in the Suns mold than the traditional mold. Al at PF works in that kind of system.

We will be in a good position to fill the C spot this summer since there really arent any teams with cap money who dont have to resign their own players. Cle has money but they have to resign Z and Sea does as well but they have Ray to resign. Lets say that we let Walker go and spend our money to sign Swift and maybe Redd, even if we have to overpay. We then use our draft pick to get a PG and if the one we want isnt there when we pick then trade down a few spots and get another one.

I think the key with this plan would be Chill, Smoove and Al working together over the summer to get comfortable with each other. Those 3 players are our future and we should be able to keep them together for a long time.

Al doesn't really fit that system (as a 4)...he's not amare, he can't shove guys out of the lane or rebound particularly well...therefore you'd need a Nazr type center, serviceable, able to get boards, and alter shots (but not block them, as Nazr doesn't do that...nor do the C's on the Suns). Al doesn't play 'well above the rim,' but rather, decently there...

I just don't see him fitting with this team outside of a great sixth man. Too many deficiencies thus far in terms of being a 'tweener.'

OUTSTANDING POST, Weez!!!! smile.gif

My gut feeling tells me that with the CBA being what it is, I think Walker realizes that he won't be getting any real big contract elsewhere except here('Big' meaning reasonable price, of course...lol).

I think he'll most likely remain here for the rest of his career IF HE IS TRULY SERIOUS ABOUT REBUILDING THIS TEAM FROM THE GROUND UP. It will be an awfully-difficult choice to make to just give up any possibility of going to a contender to get a ring and stick by and help rebuild an entire franchise. Walker did it before with the Celtics....And I think he can do it again with the Hawks.

• Premium Member

How do we begin to look like the Suns when we have NO shooters and no Amare? Harrington for all of his ability will not be a great PF, not even a really good one. His rebounding is suspect.

Plus. what makes the Suns and not all about nash (But we don't have that either) but it's the three point shooters. That's why some nights, like last night they lose.

Yeah I agree. We're nothing like the suns model. Here's the Suns model: get a beast in the middle, surround him by a TON of athletic scorers and shooters. Throw in a PG who excels at running the fast break and finding open men. Buckle up and enjoy the ride

Our model is the memphis/detroit model. Get tall, versatile players who can play D and get easy points on the break. Even though it's not showing yet, our goal is to win with D. Phoenix wins on offense