JT's contract year revisited

• Premium Member

I believe that if we made an offer starting at 7 million that JT would accept. With Toni's contract coming to an end, I wonder why Management haven't approached JT with an extension....

Can you say... Trade is a possibility?

I don't want to believe it.. Especially now with the pool of possibilities drying up... But we have to face facts that it's a possibility.

Pete always says that nobody is untradable, and as you and I, Diesel have always said, if JT isn't going to be the PG, and we want to win a championship, then he almost has to be traded.

I don't want that to happen, obviously, because I think JT can be the PG of a championship Hawks team.

I have asked JT, point blank, about the extension, and what it would take.

He has always said, whatever it takes, and for seven years.

Pete has said, "We will draw up an extension, and put it forth to "my bosses", and we'll see if it's approved.

Therein lies the problems of the team....Pete can't make the financial call, else JT would already be extended.

Pete has said that "they (whoever they are) might want to see wins before they commit to a long extension for JT, even if it costs us a million or so more a season"

It's a RIDICULOUS notion, but it speaks to why Jerry West turned us down and why sometimes Pete can't act in the basketball interests of the Hawks.

Finally, I agree D....Trace had laid out a nice 7 year, 77 milllion proposal that would start between 7.5 and 8 million dollars.....That's a great place to start, and if JT is going to have a chance at the PG position long term for the Hawks, it's a good deal.

But, if JT is a SG...I don't like it, and maybe we should seek other options like ESPN is saying.

• Premium Member

Actually, 7 yr 70 million wouldn't be too bad. We have to fit JT in with Shareef. We also need to consider Theo and DJ.

Those 4 (if that is to remain our core) should cost us somewhere near 36 million.

I agree, with everything said. I dont want to see JT playing the 2 again, I honestly think he can become the PG of this team and honestly I think he can easily become one of the leagues top PG's. I think JT is a great player and what he showed the last 3 months last season, he showed and proved to us that he can really run this team and can become an allstar type of PG.

But you are right, this is a business and he has to show this. Not only does he have to show the management that he is the starting PG of this team during training camp. But he has to show that he is capable of running this team and do a heck of a job doing it and make us a legitimate playoff team.