• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What about Chandler?

Wretch

• Premium Member

He's young. He's a 7 footer. He can block shots. He's a rebounding monster. He gets to the line. We need a center, or just bigs period....and he's coming off the bench for Chicago. I know Chandler's had some back issues but so far he's shown promise.

I rarely throw out trade scenarios, but this might be a deal worth looking into.

You would have to have something Chicago really needs, we don't. The Bulls are the best looking young team I have seen in a long time..Now that Curry has come into his own, they are gonna get better and better..They have size, athletic ability, shooters, good veteran leadership, and good coaching..They don't need anything we could offer.

• Premium Member

Well, let's break it down...

Draft picks and young talent? *lol*

Uh...yeah...smirk.gif

Point Guard? Now, they certainly don't need a point guard. They've got Duhon who is actually starting over Ben Gordon - who I predict will demand that starting position before it's all said and done.

I'd say they're pretty much stocked there.

Shooting guard? They've got Hinrich, one of my favorite players. I knew he was going to be special. I love his game. He's a very capable scorer, as most people should know by now...but he's also a reliable playmaker. He is equally adept at either position. They reeled in LA Clipper sharpshooter Piatkowski...so backing up Kirk, I don't think they have any problems.

I'd say they're pretty much stocked at the 2.

Small Forward? Luol Deng. Again, what another promising young player. Another player that I've been pretty high on for a LONG time. He doesn't show any signs of slowing down - loved that lob to Curry.

Set at the 3...

Power Forward? They've got Curry there, and here's a guy that's REALLY showing promise; but, at 6'11" and 285lbs...? With all them hops he's showing, he really should be in the post and I think Chicago wants him there.

I would say the Bulls don't need anyting but a) there has been talk about Chicago entertaining offers for their bigmen and b) they've got Antonio Davis starting at Center; and that's pretty telling with Chandler coming off the bench.

So, the Bulls don't need draft picks, are solid at the point, off guard, small forward, and center. Hmmm...if anything, they really need *gasp* a veteran presence, say at power forward, that could fit in well and help glue this team together. If they got a decent power forward (apparently, Chandler is not that in their estimation) Curry could slide to the pivot.

...and it just so happens that we have *gasp* 2 decent veteran power forwards, who *double*gasp* we're likely listening to offers for.

One is a player that thought he was going to chicago last offseason (link). Hmmm, I wonder why he would have thought that...

The other is a player who is FROM Chicago and just wants a team to settle down with - rebuilding or not.

Both are capable of 20/10/5 on any given night.

Now, I believe that sets up a scenario...but again, I don't dabble into that. I just see the foundation of a scenario that could help both teams.

...and I wonder if they could use a swingman, like I dunno...maybe a player that we might not be using too much, to backup the 2 or the 3.

Does anyone really think the Bulls are going to let Curry and Chandler just walk away now they have started to turn this thing around? Especially Curry. We should all know how hard centers are to come by in this league. So Chicago is just going to say see you later.

I have a hard time Chicago is going to let one of those guys go, let alone both of them.

P

• Premium Member

I don't expect them to let anybody walk away. So, let's just throw that out. As far as the turnaround goes...

Hinrich is mainly responsible for that. He's making everyone around him better. Curry is finally realizing that he's huge and talented; and with a better core around him, he's playing better. He starting and he's producing, and at a chisled 285lbs., I don't think they're looking to deal him.

Chandler coming off the bench is a differnt situation. Obviously, the ideal situation for Chicago would be to have Curry at Center and a decent PF running beside him. But, Curry is at the 4 and Antonio Davis is running the pivot. Apparently, Chandler isn't in the scheme of things save for his 20 - 25 minutes off the bench.

It could be that Chicago is looking at dealing Chandler and doesn't want him to expose his back problems. Curry, no. They aren't going to trade him at this point. But I think Chandler is another story and if they are looking to deal him, then they could only be looking at getting a PF back in return - and they are likely looking to add a veteran guy to help stabilize this core. Considering we have 2 that are both realatively young, that can get them 20/10/5 on any given night...then I think there is a good chance they'd consider it.

• Premium Member

Chandler is not currently playing the role of a core player. Chandler is coming off the bench behind Antonio Davis. It's not that hard to figure out.

Chandler and Curry (key) have been the center of attention for the Bulls as the focal point of their rebuilding efforts. But, if you have been paying attention, you would know that the Bulls are on about version 3 of their rebuilding blueprint. Curry and Chandler were a part of the initial rebuilding project and up until the recent turnaround were being shopped to jumpstart what would have been version 4 of Chi's rebuilding - as they are both playing contract years.

Something happened not too long ago though. Something clicked with the Bulls and it has more to do with Hinrich than either of the Bulls' bigs. Hinrich is making that team better (I'd also say that Deng is crucial too). Chandler has been benched and there is clearly a different Eddy Curry emerging.

The Bulls are winning, but with Chandler only playing 25+ mpg giving them like 8/8 off the bench. The Bulls are good, but not great. They have proved that they can beat the least of the East (check the schedule), but what would it take for them to get to that next level? Where they can compete and consistently beat the better than average and even elite teams?

More maturity from the current guys? Yes. But possibly a veteran starter, fairly young, that can give them big numbers. I'll say it again. Curry is sliding over to Center. If the Bulls are looking to upgrade anywhere, they are looking to do it at the PF. If they are looking to deal anything that will upgrade the PF position, then it'll likely be Chandler.

I think a 20/10/5 veteran would be appealing to them.

Quote:

Why would the Bulls want to trade away one of their core players(Curry/Chandler) for Walker when they could just sign him this offseason without giving up anything?? *scratches head*

It's just a little thing called MONEY. With Curry and Chandler being Restricted and I believe the Bulls also have a couple others to worry about, money may become slim to none for them. Where as if we were to trade Walker and he helps the Bulls to the play-offs then Walker may want to stay there and the Bulls would have one less contract to worry about with Chandler.

Wretch, for details on my thoughts on Chandler, please visit "My Official I Want Tyson Chandler in ATL Threads thread".

Also, some past quotes of mine on this subject:

Referring back to DocHawk wanting K. Brown -

"I'd much rather have Chandler. Really I want Chandler AND Dalembert. They both seem very defensive minded and are just as young. So in my opinion, Chandler starts and Dalembert gets good backup minutes."

Referring back to Hawk31 on his "You be the GM" thread -

"In the summer trade Al for either Dalembert or Chandler

Sign the other (Dalembert or Chandler)"

Acutally praising Diesel on one of his thoughts -

The more I see D speak of trading Al for a big, the more it really makes sense. I am noticing that Al isn't turning out the way everyone expected him to. Not that he's playing badly, it's just he isn't playing All-Star quality basketball (which I think most of us on this board were hoping). Still, his value is definitely high and if he were to be traded for a GOOD Center it would not only fill one of our needs but also open up more playing time for the future of this team - Smoove.

Now, another thought is that we wait until the summer for this to take place. If things work out well with Walker and he wants to stay and help us build, then re-sign him and use Al for a sign-and-trade with one of the Restricted Cs. Then next year Smoove would have the SF all to himself (breakout year). We would also still have money this off-season to sign another GOOD C to have "In case sh*t...", not to mention Swift.

Possible roster for next year...

Rookie PG / Ivey / Vet filler

Chill / Delk / Diaw

Smoove / D. Smith / Rookie SF

Walker / (Swift) / Collier

Chandler / Dalembert / Drob

I really think that this is a very possible scenario. Straight sign Swift, throw money at Chandler (though not too much, slightly worried about his injury-prone nature) and then trade Al to Phily for Dal (or vice versa).

Maybe I'm being a little unthoughtful to our PF/C postions in that they all won't get huge minutes, but it's been so long since we've had solids there that I don't really care. As long as we get good play from all."

Though, as of now I'm still wary of sending Harrington off. Harrington/Swift at PF and Chandler/Dalembert at C sounds awfully interesting.

Even though Walker is from Chicago, I dont see them offering us anything for him. However, I could see Harrington being a nice fit for them. He could come off the bench at the 3 or 4. He is a proven 6th man. Chandler is about to require a contract, Harrington is not. I think they'd take Harrington for Chandler, but would BK do it? I would!

• Premium Member

FINALLY, somebody that understands what I'm saying. There's nothing to consider from our standpoint, we'd take Chandler. Looking at this thing from Chicago's standpoint though...

An upgrade at PF is really all they could possibly need. I think that both Walker and Harrington both have their positives and negatives. Obviously, we know why Harrington would fit.

I think Walker would fit too though. He's a guy that doesn't have to be a leader, but he can be. He's not a cancer and he could play well next to the guys that they have. Walker isn't a banger, but Chicago doesn't really need one with Curry and Deng who can both work the inside and pull down boards. And at the same time, Walker is a damn good rebounder too.

What also makes it an interesting is that we have salaries that would match up easily in either scenario.

• Premium Member

I had no idea that you had already started a thread though, else I would have just commented over there. Mostly though, I had no idea he was coming off the bench for Chicago. That's really what started me thinking.

At the same time, you also have to wonder if Chicago is doing that puposefully to attract attention... It makes sense to me, and considering his much talked about back problems...it makes even more sense.

I think with the way the Bulls are playing, with him coming off the bench...that Tyson is indeed trade fodder. Furthermore, it can only be a PF that they'd be looking at bringing back and considering Tyson's value, I'd say if the Bulls are indeed looking, then they are considering nothing short of AH/AW talent.