• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Barry Bonds, king of excuses

chillzatl

• Admin

Barry Bonds is a cheater. Lets just get that out of the way right now. He used "stuff". Stuff that he knew was being used to heal his body faster than normal. "Stuff" that, for whatever reason, he felt was best to hide the fact that he was using it. Then he gets in front of the media and says this:

"You're talking about something that wasn't even illegal at the time,'' Bonds said. "All this stuff about supplements, protein shakes, whatever. Man, it's not like this is the Olympics. We don't train four years for, like, a 10-second (event). We go 162 games. You've got to come back day after day after day. We're entertainers. If I can't go out there and somebody pays $60 for a ticket, and I'm not in the lineup, who's getting cheated? Not me. There are far worse things like cocaine, heroin and those types of things."

Ahh, Barry, you poor poor cheater. He gets paid millions to "be the best". But it doesn't matter to him if it's legit because he's an entertainer? That's sure how it sounds to me.

This comes right on the heels of his former teammate, Jeff Kent, saying almost the exact opposite. Kent feels that they are who they are becuase they're supposed to be the best and there should be no doubt to the legitimacy of that. Bonds on the other hand feels that he's just an entertainer and whatever you do to make the game more entertaining is ok by him.

Then bonds follows up with this convenient deflection about "what is cheating":

"You want to define cheating in America? When they make a shirt in Korea for a $1.50 and sell it here for 500 bucks? And you ask me what cheating means? I'll tell you how I cheat. I cheat because I'm my daddy's son. He taught me the game. He taught me things nobody else knows. So that's how I cheat. I'm my daddy's son."

haha, that's classic right there. I would have to put that right up there with Iversons rant about practice and Spreewell talking about needing to feed his family...

If this guy ever breaks Hank Aarons record and they actually let him have it without an asterisk, I will give up on baseball. He's a excuse making, scumbag cheater who doesn't deserve to have his record above someone like Aaron.

• Moderators

I agree with everything you just wrote. The only way he could have been clearer about admitting use of performance enhancers is have openly said it.

You left out one of the best parts of the quote, though:

Quote:

"You're talking about something that wasn't even illegal at the time,'' Bonds said. "All this stuff about supplements, protein shakes, whatever. Man, it's not like this is the Olympics. We don't train four years for, like, a 10-second (event). We go 162 games. You've got to come back day after day after day. We're entertainers. If I can't go out there and somebody pays $60 for a ticket, and I'm not in the lineup, who's getting cheated? Not me. There are far worse things like cocaine, heroin and those types of things.

"So we all make mistakes. We all do things. We need to turn the page. We need to forget about the past and let us play the game. We're entertainers. Let us entertain."

Barry is confused like so many people because he's living in a relativistic society that's accusing him of doing something absolutely wrong.

I feel sorry for him.

How many people spew their untenable post-modernistic ideals of "truth is relative" and then turn around and point a judgemental finger at some athlete who did something *questionable* to get ahead. Barry did what so many people do. He rationalized. He used clever wording to convince himself it was OK...for him...this time. You see, it all depends on what your definition of "is" is.

I agree with you. Barry's record should have an asterisk. Perhaps he should be banned from the game. Barry is a cheater, through and through. No doubt about that.

However, I think we should examine ourselves, too. When is our society going to realize that moral relativism does not parse with reality. We know right and wrong, and when we point fingers at Barry Bonds, we show that we have an innate sense of fairness and justice. It's time we tried to figure out why that is.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

heres my favorite BARRY BONDS QUOTE

"Steroids does not enchance HAND-EYE coordination"

however, it sure does help a FOUL BALL turn into a home run!

Very true.

Actually, I'd change that one slightly. A foul ball is going to be a foul ball either way. However, a pop fly out or line drive out to the outfield may suddenly be a HR.