• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

reasons why we should draft Chris Paul!

criss_cross

Paul is gonna be a superstar in the NBA and you won't have to wait too long for him to develop. Imagine a lineup of Paul running the point, Childress gunning shots at 2, Smith catching alleyoops at 3, Harrington posting up at 4, and sign someone like Dalembert at the middle and you'll have a team running for a playoff spot in the Eastern conference. Look at what Steve Nash did for the Suns, he made everyone else much better than they already are when he came in. Paul can dish the rock and score whenever he wants to like Nash, Childress can shoot like Q, Smith flying to attack the rim and running the court like Marion, Harrington providing a low post presence that every team in this league needs. Then sign a center from the free agents with all that cap space and a very talented roster, they should be able to sign another low post presence.

Enter Salim Stoudamire...

Shooting will be a concern no matter who we draft, that I hope we'll adress with our FA money and 2nd draft pick in part. I know it won't be solved by next year, but we need at least one shooter somewhere on the roster

• Premium Member

Quote:

I would prefer Bogut but if the Hawks draft Paul, Dalembert is the big man I want. My concern with that lineup is the lack of three point shooting. Phoenix has 4 guys in their starting lineup that can drain the three. In that Hawks lineup I don't see one.

I agree with this line of thinking. I too am worried about the lack of outside shooting and hope that they can get that from the PG position...

If would prefer Bogut over Paul, but will be perfectly happy with Paul, Bogut, or the Williams.

• Admin

I'm sure both Paul and Williams will be solid players, at worst. But I think we can meet our needs at PG just fine later in this draft. We need a steady pg who can run an offense, can see the floor and plays very good defense. We can get a PG that meets those requirements later in the draft with little problem. In fact, if things fall properly we could move Al in a deal to get us a slightly higher first rounder and take someone like Jack or Felton.

Then we're still free to use our top 4 pick for a big man or whatever other player distinguishes himself above the pack AND we still have our massive cap room to sign free agents to fill in the soft spots in our lineup.

• Moderators

There are some big maybes in that reasoning. Maybe Paul becomes as good as Nash. That's a possiblity. Maybe Smoove becomes as good as Marion. That's uncertain. Maybe we find someone as good as Amare. That's unlikely.

I like Paul but I just don't think we can pass on the big guy if we have the chance.

That is my main concerns with this team, whether we draft Bogut or Paul. Who can shoot the 3? We have absolutely no 3 point shooters on this squad. Who is going to keep the defenses honest in the paint. Bogut will not be effective without a legitimate outside threat. Paul will not be as effective without an inside and outide threat.

Right now as I see it we have a bunch of slashers that can finish and that is about it.

Where is out outside shooting going to come from??

Quote:

I wouldn't be happy with Paul, but would support him, and Deron Williams would be my frist choice.

I don't see Paul becoming a superstar.

Just to clarify, if we get the overall #1, you would take Deron as the overall top pick? Because I can see how he would fit with what we're trying to do, but to me he just isn't a #1 pick. Maybe trade down?

Quote:

Quote:

I wouldn't be happy with Paul, but would support him, and Deron Williams would be my frist choice.

I don't see Paul becoming a superstar.

Just to clarify, if we get the overall #1, you would take Deron as the overall top pick? Because I can see how he would fit with what we're trying to do, but to me he just isn't a #1 pick. Maybe trade down?

No I'd trade down to pick Deron Williams, but I would select Bogut with the first overall pick.

The top two point guards I like:

Deron Williams and Ukic