• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Only the Hawks

tmac13

We have Diaw, Donta, Chillz, Smoove, and Al..All young 6'8", give or take a half inch, tweener type forwards..This draft has 3 or 4 really gifted and intriguing big guys, this draft has 3 or 4 really gifted points..We have a career 3rd stringer at the point, we have CBA quality centers, yet we are likely to draft yet another 6'8" tweener forward.. We don't have a point, we don't have a real 2, we don't have a real 4, we don't have a 5..So with the 2nd pick of the draft we will toss logic aside and draft another tweener forward..Only the Hawks.

*Would the Pistons even consider an Al for Darko trade?

*Does anyone else think Bynum(7' 280lbs 17 years old) might be the best player in the draft??

If you believe that the presence of Diaw and Donta on our roster should, in part, dictate who we draft, then you are quite daft.

Yup, don't take the best player on the board, because we already have Donta and Diaw.

Nutz.

Look - if Smoove and MWill could each only play one and the same position, then there's an argument not to pick MWill.

But SMoove and Mwill can, in the long run, be our 4 and 3, and so the only reason not to draft MWill is Al, who is in the last year of his contract.

Just because we need other stuff is not a good enough reason.

Rebuilding is a mult-year project, we aren't going to contend next year, so don't expect ALL the pieces this year. That's the flaw in your logic.

We HAVE to spend about $14 mill on FAs this year. We can lay out the big bucks for Dally now.

Then we have a future core of Chills, Smoove, Mwill, Dally. They are all great atheletes, They can learn to play together and be a great core for the future. At that point, we'll have no trouble finding a PG, as free agent PGs will kill to play with those 4. But that's a year away and you guys need some patience.

We HAVE to spend about $14 mill on FAs this year. We can lay out the big bucks for Dally now.

Then we have a future core of Chills, Smoove, Mwill, Dally. They are all great atheletes, They can learn to play together and be a great core for the future. At that point, we'll have no trouble finding a PG, as free agent PGs will kill to play with those 4. But that's a year away and you guys need some patience.

"

Nobody is going to take the Hawks money and people need

to realize that. They will be some minor pickups, but

nobody that can play a major factor is going to sign

with the Hawks RIGHT NOW.

The only problem with that thinking is that Chill is

NOT a real SG. Real SG's are good shooters, but Chill

is not.... SG's need to be able to be able to be decent

on defense againest guys like Kobe and Vince Carter.

Childress has no shot at guarding these guys. If the

Williams kid is drafted sooner or later Al or Childress

is going to have to go.

While rebuilding isn't usally done in one offseason, the

longer you d!ck around by racking in players that will

not fit together the longer it will take to really get

the rebuilding started.

to play the 4 for us, and to justify drafting Marvin in the hopes that one or both of them will grow another 2" to be big enough to defend the Duncans and Rasheeds of the league would be pretty shortsighted of us. I am very leery that either of them will ever be taller than 6'9 and neither of them have good low post games....in fact neither of their games are even close to as good as Al is in the post. My big concern is not having a PF with enough height and length to keep the aforementioned PFs from just backing down and shooting over the top like those two do with most other NBA PFs. It would really suck if we drafted Marvin and neither he nor Smooth could ever make the transition to PF and we lost out on a great PG prospect like Deron or Paul.

You do make a good point though about not figuring Donta or Diaw into the equation when it comes to drafting Marvin and I am sure that Billy wouldnt make that mistake.

If the Hawks throw foolish money out there, someone will be willing to take it.

Billy isn't going to overpay though. He will probably sign a couple of guys to short term contracts just to see if they realize their potential, but I believe the guy he may offer the dough to is Stromile Swift.

So, the fact that everyone that has seen Marvin says he can play power forward should be thrown out the window.

Let's see if we can drum up some more false justifications for not taking the most talented player in this draft.

Quote:

"Early on, I see him more as a power forward and a guy who can play some three (small forward) as well," Bucks general manager Larry Harris said, referring to Williams. "His post-up game is a lot further along than people have seen."

"Eventually he's going to grow some more, so he's going to get bigger," Bucks coach Terry Porter said. "He has the bulk to him to play the four, and it's going to be a very easy transition for him.

"He's definitely strong and solid in the post."

If the Hawks throw foolish money out there, someone will be willing to take it.

Billy isn't going to overpay though. He will probably sign a couple of guys to short term contracts just to see if they realize their potential, but I believe the guy he may offer the dough to is Stromile Swif"

I think they should be some vets.... Rather them have

championship experience on top of that. When a player

has rings to show you would think the young players

would follow.

into being able to play the 4. Right now he is a drastically undersized 4, MUCH lighter than Al (20+ lbs) is (who most consider an undersized 4 himself).

For me, making that ASSUMPTION that either he or Smooth can or will grow taller and get thicker is something I am not willing to make if I am the GM. Unless he grows 2" and puts on 20 lbs he will never have the size to defende Rasheed or Duncan in the post and thats not something I want from my "PF of the future" as he would be if you were drafting him.

"Eventually he's going to grow some more, so he's going to get bigger," Bucks coach Terry Porter said. "He has the bulk to him to play the four, and it's going to be a very easy transition for him.

"He's definitely strong and solid in the post."

I know it's off topic, but it's some lame they fired

Porter. It's amazing at how little security that the

coaches have these days. The respectable season they

had just one year ago was forgotten really quick.

At 6'9" with a 7'3" wingspan and tremendous athleticism, he can play both positions. I've even seen one report that says he is talented enough to play the 2, 3, and 4 positions.

Larry Harris says he can play both. Billy Knight says he can play both. That's all that matters, because one of those two men will be picking Marvin. Hopefully, it will be Billy Knight.

The operative word being "can" play both. They are making the assumption that he will be able to grow into the position. Can you imagine him coming him and having to guard Rasheed being 3" shorter than him? Rasheed would shoot over the top of him all day long. Or can you imagine him trying to stop Duncan from backing him down? Duncan has 30+ lbs on him and a good 3-4".

If you want to talk about what he is probably better suited to play besides the 3, I would agree that its the 2 because he does have a perfect jumpshot. I dont know if he has the handles to play the 2 or the quickness to guard 2's, but IMO he is far more likely to find success at his current height/weight/skillset than at PF where he would get abused like Smooth did last year when he played PF and thats not even mentioning that Marvin isnt half the shotblocker that Smooth is.

sgs don't have to be good shooters..they just have to be good scorers...some are jump shooters like barry and some are slashers like chill

chill's fg% his rookie year: .470

kobe: .433

tmac: .431

reggie miller: .437

larry hughes: .430

joe johnson: .461

rip hamilton: .440

ray allen: .428

michael redd: .441

lebron: .472

his 3pt % may be horrid, but he's a rookie and he can turn that around with some practice, which he's doing right now...

u can't expect everything from a rookie...he already scores at a high clip and rebounds over 3 guys routinely...give him a year or two to improve his shooting...lebron needed time...

He's got the size to defend them right now. Amare Stoudemire is a shade under 6'10", and he's playing center better than all but one center in the entire league. Ben Wallace is 6'7", and he's one of the top three centers in the game.

Marvin's 7'3" wingspan makes him play like a guy that is 6'10" or 6'11" tall.

Oh, let's not forget Dwight Howard, who is also a shade under 6'10" and not as strong as Marvin is.

Josh didn't get abused last year when he played power forward. His highest PER rating was as a power forward last season, and his best defense was played while in the post.

With Smith at the power forward spot, the Hawks had a net point total of +15, and they won 55% of the games that Josh saw time at the power forward spot. His PER rating was 19.0 as a power forward and 16.7 as a small forward. The Hawks net point total with Josh at the small forward position was -242.

than Dwight Howard? Dwight is a monster in the post. He is also 2" taller and 20+ lbs heavier with a lot more muscle mass than Marvin. I havent find Howards pre-draft measurements from last year but I would bet it showed him to be much stronger.

Ben Wallace is a bad example to use because he is a freak of nature who is at least twice as strong as Marvin is. He is also effective as a C because he has Rasheed who usually defends the other teams big man. I dont know what Rasheeds wingspan is, but I believe I heard its the best in the NBA in relation to his height.

What are the Suns hoping to do this offseason, trying to find a legit C so that they can move Amare back to his natural PF spot, where he is a TRUE PF, unlike Marvin who is considered a tweener. There was never any doubt that Amare would be a PF in the NBA and nobody ever talked about him being a SF.

Marvin wasnt even an effective defensive PF in college, yet you think that he can be right now in the NBA? He is a poor shotblocker and gets muscled around on the blocks by stronger PFs.

and because when Josh was in the game at the 4, it meant that we were usually losing pretty badly. Thats the only time when either Toine or Al were on the bench. Josh is a terrific defender in the post when it comes to weakside help and blocking shots, but he was unable to stop the bigger PFs from backing him down. Heck I seem to remember him being unable to stop Richard Jefferson from backing him down as well and he is just a SF.