Chad Ford on ESPN.Com NOW.

Diesel

• Premium Member

He has mentioned the Hawks. I don't know if you can get your questions in right now.

In reply to:

Chad Ford: (1:04 PM ET ) Aloha everyone. I'm back from a (too brief) vacation. Still a pretty slow week, though the signings of Keon Clark (Kings) and Rodney Rogers (Nets) could have major playoff implications. . . Let's go.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Frank(Concord): Is the free-agent acquisition of Keon Clark enough for the Kings to dethrone the mighty Lakers?

Chad Ford: (1:07 PM ET ) I think this is a huge coup for the Kings -- not only because Clark gives them some much needed shot blocking and athleticism in the front court -- but because they were able to keep him from the Lakers. Clark would've been a perfect fit in L.A., but the Lakers used all of their money re-signing Devean George. I know I'll tick off a lot of Laker fans, but I think the Kings are the team to beat this year. . .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

James (New York City): Are the Nets the team to beat in the Eastern Conference, especially after the additions of Mutumbo, Childs, and Rogers?

Chad Ford: (1:10 PM ET ) Rod Thorn has done an incredible job retooling the Nets. The big issue for them is health. Mutombo is like 87 years old, Kittles, Jefferson and Martin have a history of injuries. But if they stay healthy, they'll be better than they were last season. And for those of you who wonder how Mutombo will guard Shaq, listen to what one Nets official told me last night after the team signed Rogers.

"We didn't trade for Mutombo and chase Rogers with the idea that they're the silver bullet that can topple the Lakers. We're crossing our fingers that the Kings do it for us. They were dangerously close last year. I think it's just a matter of time. I don't want to get ahead of ourselves, but I think we've put together a team that would give the Kings a real scare. It would be a great series to watch."

I agree. Nets-Kings in the 2003 NBA Finals.

Mike (San Diego): Why wouldn't the Laker's have focused their energy in going after Clark instead of resigning George? I mean in the NBA there are definitely a shortage of big men, especially ones that are athletic and play the PF position which the Laker's covet greatly.

Chad Ford: (1:12 PM ET ) Clark didn't become an unrestricted free agent until 5 days after the Lakers used all of their money on George. They probably acted too quickly, but they were afraid George would sign with either the T-Wolves or Jazz, both of whom were chasing him. In the end though, that move could cost them a four-peat. BTW Laker fans, this all could have been avoided had the Lakers simply picked up their option on George last fall.

Steve(boston): what are ther chances of the celts getting back to the e.c.f

Chad Ford: (1:14 PM ET ) It's not looking good. The Hawks have upgraded, I think George Karl will have the Bucks back in the hunt and the Pistons have also made some dramatic improvements. Losing Rodney Rogers to the Nets really hurts. You can't let a valuable guy like that slip through your fingers to a division rival. I see the Celtics as a likely 5th or 6th seed in the East right now.

Ray, Orlando: WHy didnt the magic go after clark? They needed a big man in the middle and clark seems to fit well with the magics up and down game.

Chad Ford: (1:16 PM ET ) Luxury tax issues. The Magic could have given Clark the same money. Orlando was his top choice, but the Magic are trying to avoid paying the luxury tax. Giving Clark $4.5 million would've cost them. The Magic still have to fill a pretty gaping hole up front. Right now they're talking to free agent Brian Skinner.

B-Coke (Portland): Would Miami go for a swap of Stoudamire, Davis and Randolph for Alonzo Mourning? The salareis are fit.

Eric (WI): I heard on a rumor page that the Bucks and the Blazers might make a deal with Cassel and Stoudemire and a pick or a filler. Have you heard of this?

Chad Ford: (1:20 PM ET ) There's lots of Damon Stoudamire rumors out there right now because of the trade for Antonio Daniels and the signing of Jeff McInnis. The Blazers have been shopping him for some time, but his $13.5 million contract makes him tough to move. I think both the Bucks and the Heat would pass on Stoudamire. They have cap and luxury tax issues that make a trade a bad fit. I think the most likely destination is Minnesota. A Stoudamire, Bonzi Wells for Terell Brandon, Wally Szczerbiak and Anthony Peeler trade would make some sense.

Bruce (Chicago): Why are the Bulls going after M. Harpring and D. Marshall? The team already has Rose and Eddie Robinson at small forward. I think the current lineup is adequate and adding one of those guys will just create a logjam. Any thoughts?

Chad Ford: (1:22 PM ET ) They've had both players in. They're looking for a veteran who plays defense and plays multiple positions. Tyson Chandler and Eddy Curry still have a bright future, but they aren't ready to shoulder the load alone. Right now the team has Rose playing the two. As for Robinson, his lack of defense is the big problem. He's really better coming off the bench and being the energy guy.

Adam (Los Angeles, CA): Rashard Lewis *has* to be bluffing, right? Taking a paycut to be the 3rd option in Dallas for 3 years is pretty spiteful & he's just not worth Matrix money. Are the sign&trade talks with Houston for real? Who would Seattle get?

• Premium Member

A Stoudamire, Bonzi Wells for Terell Brandon, Wally Szczerbiak and Anthony Peeler trade would make some sense.

These would be two scary teams afterwards...

Stoudamire/Bonzi/Lopez/KG/Smith..

McInnis/Anderson/Wally/Rasheed/Davis....

i purposed that MINN trade for Brandon, not even reading this post... but after thinking about it again, it does make a lot of sense!

Stoudamire is a good player, just overpaid... i still remember him crossing up BRYANT like crazy... giving him a hard time.

BONZI + STOUDAMIRE + KG = means 2nd round in the playoffs?

In answering the question about the Boston, Chad Ford (I know very little about the Hawks except Terry is a SG) said that he believes they will have problems because the Hawks are upgraded, Bucks back in hunt & Detroit has dramatic improvements.

Well when I list teams to beat, I always start at the top. I think Chad Ford believes that the EC is aligned like this now...

NJ Nets

Atlanta Hawks

Milwalkee Bucks

Detroit Pistons

Boston Celtics (here or one more down he doesn't mention)

Well guys, I could live with that this year. I think if we are the #2 in EC this year and DJ, JT & DD grow more, we will be good going forward. If he thinks we are this good and doesn't understand the roles of JT and DJ, then he may just be underestimating us.

I would like to see someone's line-up matchups for us versus the top 5 in the East.

Yes he did say this first:

"The Hawks are upgraded"

but then he says this, I mean this guy is totally confused on what he is saying.

Chad Ford: (2:00 PM ET ) Here's my top 10 right now. Of course, by the time free agency shakes out, there will be changes.

1. Kings 2. Lakers 3. Mavs 4. Nets 5. Spurs 6. Pistons 7. Hornets 8. Blazers 9. Bucks 10. Clippers . . . let the stone throwing begin.

According to this Nets, Pistons, Hornets, Bucks in that order are the best in the East. Then he says this:

Chad Ford: (1:39 PM ET ) I really love the Pacers. They're still very young, but I think the playoff experience was good for them. They'll go as far as second year point guard Jamaal Tinsley can take them. The Pacers tell me he's been working out all summer and is in the best shape of his life. If he continues to improve, they'll be very, very tough -- top 5 in the East.

Basically what he is saying is that the East stack up like this, at least top 5:

Nets

Pistons

Hornets

Bucks

Pacers

So Hopefully since we have upgraded and so have the Celtics with the addition of Baker. Are both the Hawks and Celts 6 & 7. I dont think so, IMO both these teams are better right now than any of those above team for the exception of the Nets, everyone agrees?

Sometimes he really makes no sense on what he is talking about, and I think he just says what ever comes to mind. Sometimes he praises the Hawks and sometimes he puts them down. Make up your mind Chad?