• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Grade our draft.

Wretch

• Premium Member

Specifically Jarrett Jack. For him to end up in Portland just makes me sick. To watch teams (like Toronto) throw away 1st rounders just makes me sick.

I can't fault BK for Marvin. I can't fault him at all. Everyone thinks he has the superstar potential and if he lives up to that, I won't be disappointed in this team at all.

However...

When we made that pick, we put ourselves in a position to move forward. A year ago, with an empty slate, we could go out and draft 7 or 8 forwards and whatever the hell else we wanted too. Though, after we picked up 4 promising guys who are all the same size and can play the same position - we have to be looking forward. We need to try to shape this thing into a workable team and that includes having a distributer and a presence in the paint.

I don't know much about Salim except that he can shoot the sh!t out of the ball, isn't really a playmaker, but is undersized for a SG. Sounds awefully like a guy we traded away to me and much like one we've already got. I believe that your PG position is crucial to the way your team plays. You don't have to have Stockton or Nash, but unless you've got a Jordan out there, you need to have SOMEONE there that can RUN a pro team. Keyword - RUN. It's about MUCH more than just bringing the ball up; ask JT.

So, with this being a PG heavy draft, and all these great PGs available...we didn't get one? If Marvin was our target, then we should have had another 1st rounder set up before we even went into the draft so we could be in position to get a player like Jack. BK says he tried to move up to get one, but I sense BK doesn't have the killer instinct when it comes to wheelin' and dealin'. Teams were probably insterested in Al, and I'll tell you what...he should have been on the end of a fishing hook. Hell, I don't know anything about Roko, but I'm telling you...if he's a playmaker, I would have gobbled him up. Hell, forget a PG...I would have gone after some of these big guys who fell...Petro or even Taft.

I can stomach another losing season, I cannot stomach another pivot rotation of Drobs and Collier; nor can I be satisified with our PG brining the ball up and launching it every trip. So in the end, once again, I'm just satisfied with what Knight has done. I'm hoping that we didn't make this pick simply because BK has a love for guys around that size because I could see him doing it again.

• Premium Member

I feel the same way. But I don't think it's too much of a stretch for people to envision a perfect draft. For example...

As soon as we made the Smoove pick last year, I felt like we had a perfect draft. If we could have come away with Deron/Paul and a big guy like May or better yet...if we had picked up Jack without giving up the 31 and then picked up Taft in the 2nd round. I'd say our draft would have been perfect. So, I don't think it's a stretch to use the word.

Filling needs

1. Big man - Bogut

2. Point guard - Deron/Paul

3. Superstar - Williams

4. Shooter - Salim

Here's how I feel we should have drafted. We couldn't get Bogut at #2 but we still got the best at 2 out of 4 needs. I think that's an A draft.

So many point guards taken. Most, if not all those

taken in the first round, are expected to become

starters for their respective teams.

What about all those point guards they are replacing?

I realise these draft picks are young and full of

talent and were desireable by all.

Does that mean that none of the players that they will

surely replace are any good? Could the Hawks possibly

obtain one of these? Would they be an upgrade over

what we already have?

Are there not some pretty good centers and point guards

that have become expendable? Free agents? Undrafted

players?

I can't bring myself to believe that somewhere between

now and the opening tipoff of the regular season, the

Hawks makes no deals. Signs no one else. Stands

pat with what we now have.

It ain't over until it's over and all the moves and trading

ain't over yet!!!

cool.gif

The point guards that are getting replaced for those teams are...

Utah - Howard Eisley

New Orleans - Dan Dickau

Charlotte - Brevin Knight

Portland - Damon Stoudamire

I wouldn't consider any of them an impact player at the point. If I had to take one of them, I'd go with Brevin Knight.

• Premium Member

Didn't memphis offer to sell their pick and/or include JWill with it? That would have gotten us JWill and JJack if it were true...

I mean, was this total BS? Did Memphis pull it off the table? Or did BK simply not look into it? Right about now, that JWill deal looks better than okay to me.

Either way, I think we need to take a hard look at some moves this off season. I think that's a given and I don't want to come away from the offseason with BK saying (again) "we tried, but couldn't get anything done."

...I like what he's done so far, but it seems like he's always coming up short of the perfect scenario - when it appears to be such a simple thing to do.

Who knows about the Memphis pick. So much is written before the draft. We'll hear two dozen more rumors that never materialize in the offseason.

Brevin Knight and Gadzuric fill our needs reasonably. We have options at point and center. Someone will be signed.