Stotts & English To Fill Assistant Slots?

Traceman

Has anyone heard this? According to the attached article, Terry Stotts has already accepted one of the Hawks' assistant positions (I'm sure it is the top assistant position) and Alex English has been offered a postion as an assistant coach and advance scout. The article indicates that English said he is likely to accept the position.

The article also says that Kruger told Mike Evans that it was a tough decision (I'm assuming that he meant deciding between him and Terry Stotts).

I think it could be a VERY good decision bringing Stotts in because he probably knows Big Dog's strengths and weaknesses as well as anyone and he can probably help us incorpaorate Big Dog into the Hawks' system. In addition, Stotts has a lot of experience and he has an excellent rep as an assistant. He has had a hard time getting a shot at a head coaching position but many think he is ready. He should fit our staff well.

Assuming English signs, he will be a quality addition as well. He will bring a lot of credibility as a former NBA star plus I hear that he relates to the players pretty well. If Lon is able to get those two guys in the fold, I think our prospects for the post season just got a little brighter!

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36%257E90%257E798708%257E,00.html

It just seems odd to me. I mean...they've got the Nuggets, Broncos, Avs, Rockies, and Rapids to talk about. Yet, it seems like we get some ink from them on a weekly basis. Weird that they report this before the AJC does...

Honestly, I'm not familiar at all with Stotts. I've heard the name before, but never mentioned with any relation to us. But, I've been pushing for English for a while now, and I'm glad that he is now (officially?) on board. He's a recognized name and I still think he will do some good for JT/Dickau/DJ/Dion. Maybe he can even help Ira find an offensive game.

The following was taken from the Denver Post. Scroll down about 1/2 way to see the subject info under "Hawks moves."

Hilario nursing nagging injury

Rookie could miss tournament

By Marc J. Spears

Denver Post Sports Writer

Friday, August 16, 2002 - Denver Nuggets rookie forward-center Nene Hilario is plagued by an injured groin. That's not good timing for him, because the World Basketball Championship for Men starts in less than two weeks.

Hilario, 19, was injured Thursday participating in the Pete Newell Big Man Camp in Honolulu. The 6-foot-11, 260-pounder is slated to play on the Brazilian national team, which opens play Aug. 29 in Indianapolis against Lebanon. The Nuggets want Hilario to be healthy for the start of training camp at the beginning of October.

Nuggets general manager Kiki Vandeweghe, a staff member at the Newell camp, said it's up to Hilario and his doctors whether he plays in Indianapolis. Hilario, who signed a three-year deal with the Nuggets in July, has had groin injury problems in the past.

Nuggets rookie swingman Vincent Yarbrough sustained a sprained ankle but is expected to participate in the final day of the camp today. Other Nuggets participating include forward Mark Blount, rookie forward Nikoloz Tskitishvili, forward Chris Andersen and center Zendon Hamilton.

Hawks moves

Former Nuggets interim coach Mike Evans interviewed Monday for an assistant job with Atlanta, but learned late Wednesday former Milwaukee and Seattle assistant Terry Stotts got the position.

"It was the first interview outside of the Denver Nuggets, so it was a good opportunity," Evans said. "(Atlanta coach Lon) Kruger said it was a difficult decision."

Evans has a year left on his contract with the Nuggets, but his future with the club won't be determined until a head coach is hired. Denver is expected to hire assistant Jeff Bzdelik as its head coach next week, but the job has yet to be offered. Nuggets officials have said they expect to announce a coach hiring next week.

Former Nugget Alex English said he was offered a job with the Hawks as an assistant and advance scout Tuesday and will likely take the position. The Nuggets' all-time leading scorer also interviewed with the Nuggets and coached NBDL North Charleston last season.

"To get the opportunity (in Atlanta) is a good thing and a blessing," English said.

Talking with Cooper

The Nuggets had informal talks with Los Angeles Sparks coach Michael Cooper about an assistant job. Cooper has one more season remaining on his contract with the Sparks, but also has an option that would allow him to accept an NBA coaching position. Cooper, who played for the Los Angeles Lakers for 11 seasons, was the 2000 WNBA coach of the year and coached the Sparks to the '01 WNBA title.

"I'm under contract with the Sparks and am happy, as far as I'm concerned," Cooper told the Los Angeles Times.

Etc.

The Chinese National Basketball team will work out at the Pepsi Center from Saturday to Monday in preparation for the world championship. China's team includes 7-foot-6 center Yao Ming of the Houston Rockets, the top pick in this year's NBA draft, and Nuggets free-agent center Mengke Bateer. The practices are expected to be closed to the media and public.

"We love having them there, and our facility is one of the best in the world," Vandeweghe said. "I love that a team from another country will see how great Denver and our facilities are." ...

The Nuggets waived point guard Carlos Arroyo on Thursday. The 6-2, 202-pounder appeared in 20 games for Denver last season and averaged 4.1 points and 2.5 assists.

than Evans. WTF has Evans ever done? Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Evans at all but that doesn't take away from the fact that Stotts has been an assistant on a LOT of playoff teams whereas Evans has not.

As far as Karl goes, Stotts never made the comments that Karl did despite the fact that he was the one who was supposedly wronged. In addition, Stotts CHOSE to leave Milwaukee and George Karl. Maybe he felt it was time to get away from Karl for a number reasons? Besides, if your boss says something stupid, does that mean that you're a loser?

I'm sure if there was a problem with Stotts, there is no way in hell the Hawks would have hired him. They have over $30 million invested in Big Dog, you don't bring in an assistant coach from his former team if there is a problem there.

So again, why is Stotts a loser and what makes Evans so great?

He's paid his dues as an assistant under George Karl, who contrary to popular opinion is a very good head basketball coach (he's won everywhere he has ever been and paid his dues as a player, assistant, head man in the CBA, and with Seattle).

Terry Stotts knows his stuff and can flat out coach. Oddly enough, Stotts was a name that was mentioned when the Hawks were looking for a head man two years ago.

• Premium Member

...cause I think this will be the first year that Kruger has had a legit opportunity to excel (assuming injuries aren't again a culprit).

But...

Stotts has interviewed for a number of head coaching positions for two or three years now... can't help but suspect that, if Babs or Kasten decides to make a mid-year change, this puts them in a good position to do so.

Ya think???