• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

AZ Republic Columnist - Suns won't match.

Inside_Man

From an ESPN Board, quoting AZ Republic. The column is not online, and therefore can't be verified.

Quote:

Arizona Republic columnist Paola Boivin: The Phoenix Suns reportedly will not match the offer given to Joe Johnson by the Atlanta Hawks, due to Robert Sarver's concern about his team's payroll next season. General Manager Bryan Colangelo is extremely upset with Sarver's decision to not match the offer made by Billy Knight and the Atlanta Hawks. The word from Johnson's camp seems to be a sense of relief. Johnson's agent, Arn Tellem, tells sources that his client is exceptionally happy to be a member of the Hawks next season, and that it would have been a disappointment if they had returned to the Phoenix Suns Organization.

Might be all BS.

personal feelings get in the way sometimes. There are reports that he doesn't like some of his teammates, he wants to prove himself to be a true star (not in Amare/Nash's shadows), and felt slighted that he was not extended last year then Q was.

I think those things can add up.

I don't know if it is the case, but it certainly could be

Sounds fishy to me because it can't be verified online. I would hold off on the celebration just yet. Here is an article from the Arizona Republic today that is basically begging the Suns to match the offer. I still don't think the Suns will let him go for nothing but I'm keeping my fingers crossed anyway.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/columns/ar...gambo25-ON.html

I hope this is true about joe johnson since the hawks need a proven player that is all star caliber.Someone has to show the young guys what it takes and I hope johnson is that guy.For as long as I can remember outside shooting has always been a problem.Yes the hawks had randy whitman but I am talking about a guy that can fill it up night after night..It also gives the hawks a bargaining chip in future since Childress or Josh Smith or Marvin a young player could be moved in a draft trade next year.I don't think johnson is the protype guard we need leading the offense in the future but move him to shooting guard and let things play out.This year I can see lue signing as a backup to johnson then someone has got to go to the bench.

Anyway it is another talented outside shooter and piece of the puzzle if we sign johnson.With most young teams it takes awhile to know your role so even with as much talent as the hawks may assemble a pure point guard next years draft looks to be the no1 need.

It's legit. here's the link of the story.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/columns/ar...boivin0715.html

Suns season ticket renewals are due Monday, but an answer on Joe Johnson's future isn't. What seemed like a slam dunk days ago is looking more like a heave from half court because of Robert Sarver's growing concern about his team's payroll.

Caveat emptor. As you write that check today, know that the giddiness hangover of the postseason has been replaced by a vibe of uneasiness from several Suns officials who believe Johnson's return is no longer imminent.

The Atlanta Hawks are expected to sign the restricted free agent to an offer sheet worth approximately five years and $70 million on July 22. The Suns have the right to match the offer, and many assumed they would in order to keep much of last season's Western Conference title contender intact. But Sarver is concerned about the long-term implications the deal would have on his club, especially when Amaré Stoudemire's contract extension kicks in beginning with the 2006-07 season.

advertisement

If Johnson returns to the Suns, approximately $54 million would be committed to Johnson, Stoudemire, Shawn Marion and Steve Nash in 2006-07. With the reality of a salary cap and luxury tax - even when factoring in cap aids such as a midlevel exemption - the Suns will face challenges putting together a supporting cast. Sarver became a successful businessman by making decisions with his head, not his heart, and he has the bottom line and a profitability margin on his mind.

That's fine, except that the Suns have sent out signals for several months that closing a deal with Johnson was a priority. General Manager Bryan Colangelo said in April that "my priority No. 1 is to sign Joe Johnson. My other priority No. 1 is to sign Amaré Stoudemire to an extension."

Sarver has spoken many times of Johnson's greatness. Just two weeks ago, Stoudemire said: "I think the main thing right now is that we take care of Joe. I know Joe wants to be here."

Those remarks led many fans to commit money and emotions to Johnson's return. The Suns have sold about 2,500 new season tickets and expect to move another 500. That means nearly 12,000 season tickets to occupy an 18,422-seat arena, which could translate to quite a few sellouts.

Many of those fans wrote checks thinking Johnson would be back.

While some have suggested that Johnson might want to play for the Hawks, the truth is, it doesn't matter. As a restricted free agent, he belongs to the Suns if they match Atlanta's offer. And don't buy the suggestion that he could become a disruptive influence.

Not on a team with a unifying presence such as Nash. Not on a team that has a real chance to be successful.

Plus, Johnson's teammates like him and often have spoken in his defense regarding contract talks.

Which brings up another reason fans won't be too willing to cut Sarver slack if Johnson doesn't come back. The owner could have had him for about $20 million less if the team had signed Johnson to an extension a year ago.

"It wasn't the money to Joe in particular," Sarver said recently. "It was the money to the team in total not knowing what we had that was the key. Sometimes you make good decisions and sometimes you make bad decisions."

It's hard to believe losing two starters - Johnson and Quentin Richardson - from a team close to advancing to the NBA Finals would be a good decision.

And before they write any more checks, fans would like to know whether the Suns agree.

I don't think it is BS.

Joe Johnson will never get the opportunity to be the man if he stays in Phoenix, and he will likely only get spot duty at the position he wants to play. Point guard.

In Atlanta, he will immediately become the man, and he will also be playing the point guard position.

Contrary to popular media opinion as well, the Hawks are a team on the rise. With Joe Johnson, Josh Childress, Josh Smith, Al Harrington, and Marvin Williams, the Hawks will have a core of players who are all under the age of 26. That's a team that has a lot of upside. It won't show immediately, but the Hawks are becoming an attractive team to play for because of that upside.

its rare- to find a player who actually WANTS to play for the hawks.

i think his interest in atl is geniune. if it wasnt- he wouldnt gamble and sign an offer from us.

i think the Suns are in trouble. the western conference is no joke. u got teams like the Lakers who will make the playoffs this year and u just lost Joe Johnson + Q Richardson.

Better find some replacements! go after MICHAEL FINLEY!