• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Max Contract to Curry?

WraithSentinel

Should BK offer the max to Eddy Curry despite all the risks involve?

I was against it for a long time. Seeing as how BK has limited himself to just a few players this off-season. He seem intent on getting a big name player. At this point he best just go offer the max if the owners don't mind the risk.

I say no. I don't think Curry is worth the max and he is not good enough to overspend on because he has too many question marks surrounding his game - intensity, lack of defense, inability to rebound, health concerns, weight problems, mental aptitude, etc.

• Premium Member

Whatever happened to the days when a Max contract meant something.

Jordan didn't get a max contract until after he had his 4th ring.

Karl Malones' first max contract didn't come until late in his career.

The Hawks gave Koncak a max contract before Nique ever got one.

Reggie Miller never got one.

Why is it that any ole body who was drafted in the lottery and has played beyond his first contract feels that he is due a max contract??

I think some rules need to be in effect.

1. You must mean a lot to your team.

2. You must be injury free.

3. You must be in the top 6 of Some category.

4. You must have been to at least 1 allstar game.

My feeling on the matter is that max contracts don't go to guys who only have potential. Max contracts should go only for proven players. If your team doesn't value you, then you don't need a max contract. If you are injured a lot, you don't deserve a max contract. If you are not a top something, you don't deserve a max contract. If the fans don't see your value or if the coaches don't see your value, then you don't deserve a max contract!!!

I think we need to give him a really big offer that chicago won't match. That being said, I think the max won't be necessary. I don't think Chicago is really in a position to gamble on him, whereas we are. I will be pissed if we come out of this offseason without Curry.

BK offers as to whether or not I will be pissed. If he does what he can to make it as difficult as possible for CHI to match, that is all he can do. The team who has the player has a HUGE advantage in these matter so all BK can do is his best.

Quote:

BK offers as to whether or not I will be pissed. If he does what he can to make it as difficult as possible for CHI to match, that is all he can do. The team who has the player has a HUGE advantage in these matter so all BK can do is his best.

Exactly. All he can do is try. We can't FORCE any players to come here. What else can BK do to attract these guys, *within the bounds of ethics*?

yeah I guess I didn't state it, but I agree with that sentiment. Obviously, if he offers a max with no incentives and it's matched, I won't be mad at BK. I guess what I should have said "I'll be pissed if BK doesn't do his best to get Curry over here"

Quote:

yeah I guess I didn't state it, but I agree with that sentiment. Obviously, if he offers a max with no incentives and it's matched, I won't be mad at BK. I guess what I should have said "I'll be pissed if BK doesn't do his best to get Curry over here"

Agreed. However, due to our General Manager's reticent nature, we really don't know what he's doing or what he's trying. Thus, most criticisms of him are premature at best.

Those days are over.....and we have to remember that we are dealing with RESTRICTED free agents...not only do we have to offer enough for the player to sign our deal.....we have to offer enough so that his team does not match.....

I would say NO to Curry for the max.

• Premium Member

I think as long as we propagate otherwise "those days are over".. I just think that you don't give your biggest contract to guys who have never done nothing... It's an insult to a max contract. expecially when I know guys like reggie Miller and John Stockton (I think) never got one!

Quote:

I think as long as we propagate otherwise "those days are over".. I just think that you don't give your biggest contract to guys who have never done nothing... It's an insult to a max contract. expecially when I know guys like reggie Miller and John Stockton (I think) never got one!

Who is "we" in your sentence? If Billy Knight tries to break the mold and go back to only offering max contracts to those who deserve it, think of the criticism he'd receive then!

• Moderators

I'd offer Chandler the max before Curry and then let Chicago match and then work out a S&T for Curry or force the Bulls to swallow another big contract for Curry (but not a max contract).

Bottom line ... Cury is the best talent of all the free agents...also a big man with a presence in the middle is what we need(as well as everyone else)..if the owners are willing to gamble...go for it, were at a "all or nothing position" right now anyway.

GO FOR IT

GO FOR IT

GO FOR IT

GO FOR IT

GO FOR IT

GO FOR IT

GO FOR IT

GO FOR IT

GO FOR IT

GO FOR IT

The fact of the matter I feel more comfortable giving Curry a max contract than Chandler or Dalembert, why? He has the highest ceiling out of the three. People applaud us taking Marvin Williams number 2 over all for potential, but imo Curry has more potential than Marvin. Yet Curry gets bashed.

And for those of you crying about him averaging 6 rebounds I would like to make a wager. I'm willing to bet Curry will have alot more 20+ points 8+ rebounds and 2+ blocks games, than Dalembert or Chandler can pull off. I have my doubts that Dalembert can even average over 10 ppg and Chandler isn't much better. I can't believe you guys want to give scrubs like Dalembert and Chandler max contracts.

I don't feel totally comfortable giving any of those guys max contracts because they are not worth it. I like the idea of having a defensive rebounding center, but not at a max contract.

I think we should try and get DJ Mbenga from the Mavericks summer league team. I have watched him play in about 4 different summer league games and he is very athletic and can block alot of shots. He lead one summer league in blocked shots. He has some decent offensive moves, but noone gives him the ball on the Mavs's summer league team. I'm willing to bet given starters minutes he could put up similar numbers to Chandler and Dalembert at a fraction of the cost. I don't really know if the Mavericks are serious about signing him, but he looks like a good prospect.

• Admin

Quote:

You don't give a max contract to guys who play 30 mpg and only pull down 4 rebs and play no defense.

What about Vince Carter, T-mac, Allen Houston, etc?

Guys that do nothing but score...

One guy scoring 20+ has a much larger impact on the game than a guy who gets 8 boards and plays solid D.

Is he worth the Max? probably not. But that is todays basketball. If we want him, that's what we have to pay.