• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Maybe Belkin got screwed on this deal

Admin

is there any possibility that since apparently Belkin and BK arent the best of buddies that after getting the sign off on the money issues BK never informed Belkin about what we were giving up in the SnT? I know most of us are pissed that the trade got this far and now he is trying to change the terms of the trade, but I think its quite possible that maybe he was never informed about what we were giving up, which he feels is too much (and many of us agree with). So when the trade terms were announced he freaked out and put his foot down. If this is the case where he just found out about the trade (or the terms of) when it became public he didnt have much choice other than to make a big deal out of it or approve it against his better judgement.

Of course I hate that this has made us look so foolish, but there is a chance that BK was the bad guy here and went around the guy he knew had to approve of the trade and made this deal. Honestly if this whole issue really is about the terms of the draft choices, I have to agree with him. Dropping from lottery protected to only top 3 protected in just 2 drafts is just too big of a drop, especially considering how strong the 07 draft is with bigs. I would love if Phoenix would just agree to move the lottery protection back one more year, but who knows if they would do that.

Thoughts?

• Admin

like that might have been the case. Either:

1. belkin knew all along what the deal was and disagreed from the start. The other owners figured they could over rule him and went ahead anyway.

2. They hid details from him or he wasn't privy to some details and they thought it wouldn't be a big deal. Once he found out, it was a big deal.

3. He knew and agreed to it until the last hour and now wants to block it in an effort to leverage his power.

I think 1 and 2 are probably more likely than 3. But again, speculation, we just don't know that much yet.

is that this whole thing is really making our franchise look bad. My concerns are that this will hinder us with future FAs, at least this offseason, and that Phoenix will get fed up and see if JJ will agree to a SnT with another team. I understand that JJ wants to be the man on a team and that he said he wants to come here, but which is more important? I believe that being the man on a team is more important than coming to the Hawks. If another team offered Phoenix something they could use or draft choices and JJ was willing to play for them, we could end up being left at the altar over this one. I believe that we will have until Tue, Wed at the latest to make this happen before we lose this deal. I sure would hate to see that happen, but I can see it happening.

• Premium Member

I find it unlikely that eight accomplished business men would not understand the repercussions of "freezing out" one of their partners. The problems between the owners have been publically noted before, even to the point that the league became involved. Everyone involved knew that the situation was tense and could potentially damage the franchise's image.

So, why would these eight men wait until one of the most pivotal moments in their ownership to make such a move, knowing that it could jeopardize the S&T?

The most likely scenario by far is that Belkin is trying to gain power.

• Admin

You simply don't know. Instead of keeping an open mind to the obviously, logical possibilities, you've taken the one that you want to take.

"belkin simply wants more power".

You have nothing to back that up and at this point, there's probably more evidence supporting the other things. But we simply don't know.

Your logic is completely illogical.

• Premium Member

Quote:

You simply don't know. Instead of keeping an open mind to the obviously, logical possibilities, you've taken the one that you want to take.

They're logical because you say they're logical, huh? I'm a waste of time because I'm skeptical about a plot against one owner by the entire management and ownership?

Quote:

Your logic is completely illogical.

Your opinion is completely, well, your opinion.

• Admin

You're the one that doesn't want to accept the other possibilities. Who's being arrogant? I'm one of the few, in all of this, that has tried to avoid assuming anything that we didn't know for a fact.

A plot by 8 against 1 is only ONE possiblity. It's not one that I've said is more or less likley than any of the others. It's just another of the many possibilities.

Quote:

You're the one that doesn't want to accept the other possibilities. Who's being arrogant? I'm one of the few, in all of this, that has tried to avoid assuming anything that we didn't know for a fact.

A plot by 8 against 1 is only ONE possiblity. It's not one that I've said is more or less likley than any of the others. It's just another of the many possibilities.

I agree, but this is still a bigger black eye than the Nique and JR Rider trades combined. I am very discouraged right now as a fan. I hope it all works out and we land our man and continue to improve, but as the hours and days go by, faith is being lost.

• Premium Member

I couldn't care less how many different possibilities there are.

The most likely circumstances are based on what was reported in the AJC and at ESPN - that Belkin is going against the will of the other owners and the management of the Hawks and is using his "authority" as the governor to lend credence to his viewpoint.

The reports give the impression that Belkin is overstepping his bounds, while there are no reports that the other owners are trying to screw him over.

Speculate all you want, but there's no reason for me to be "open-minded" whatsoever. Until I read something in writing that validates different possibilities, I'm skeptical about them. I would prefer to be discerning as opposed to being "open-minded."

• Premium Member

Quote:

Umm, there is one man in power. Belkin has all the power in the organization, as the NBA Governer, when it comes to player moves.

If that were the case, then why is the deal awaiting the Tuesday decision?

How much power Belkin has is yet to be determined.

• Premium Member

Quote:

awesome, no reason to be open minded even though you have no facts to justify being stubborn. Whatever floats your boat..

Do I really have to post quotes from articles in both the local and national media to show that I'm not being stubborn?

I will if you want, but I don't think it's necessary.

Question #1.

Would Belkin rather own 1/3 of Hawks/Thrashers/Phillips or 100% of the Hawks?

The Answer is clearly 100% of an NBA team.

He's clearly trashing the value of this team in Atlanta.

My guess, he wants to split with the other owners and walk away with the entire team and leave them the areana and Phillips.

He's killing hoops in Atlanta, but he doesn't care, because with his plan, the team ends up in Vegas.

The problem is the other owner's shares of Phillips are worth much without an NBA tenant for the arena.

Quote:

Quote:

Umm, there is one man in power. Belkin has all the power in the organization, as the NBA Governer, when it comes to player moves.

If that were the case, then why is the deal awaiting the Tuesday decision?

How much power Belkin has is yet to be determined.

Not to get in a worthless cyclical argument here, but if he didn't have the power - we wouldn't need to wait until Tuesday. And all Tuesday might do is affirm the power he was already granted when he was voted and signed to be Governer...

Quote:

Question #1.

Would Belkin rather own 1/3 of Hawks/Thrashers/Phillips or 100% of the Hawks?

The Answer is clearly 100% of an NBA team.

He's clearly trashing the value of this team
in Atlanta.

My guess, he wants to split with the other owners and walk away with the entire team and leave them the areana and Phillips.

He's killing hoops in Atlanta, but he doesn't care, because with his plan, the team ends up in Vegas.

The problem is the other owner's shares of Phillips are worth much without an NBA tenant for the arena.

Las Vegas Hawks, eh? Now maybe we should hear the guy out. I would buy season tickets for the Las Vegas Hawks! Think of the free agents we'd get then! cool.gif

Oh all right...I couldn't stand them not being in the ATL.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Not to get in a worthless cyclical argument here, but if he didn't have the power - we wouldn't need to wait until Tuesday. And all Tuesday might do is affirm the power he was already granted when he was voted and signed to be Governer...

He went to court to stop his power from being removed...but I see your point.

It's like we're looking at the same thing from different sides of the mirror. wink.gif