• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

For all those taking Belkins side, dunno, but read

GoDawgs21

Last year Denver gave New Jersey 3 picks NOT PROTECTED for the right to sign Kenyon Martin, and Kenyon is a good PF, but not a superstar like Garnett or Duncan. You assert that Johnson isnt a super star either. Thats fine, but we are giving a player that has been a bust while he shows some skills a bust. Then two protected picks. Stack that up to precedent set in the league, and I would say we got a bargin. On top of that one of the picks is an extra pick of our two next year. We recieved this pick for Antione Walker. So lets put this in perspective. Basically, at the deadline would you have traded Antione a 3/4 which we are back logged at, Boris and one protected pick two years from now, for Joe a 1/2 that is a rising all-star. Ummm, yeh I think so. This point is for everyone that can't understand why we gave up Rasheed, achhum he turned in Smoove. But to the here and now, When all is factored in we are paying far less then Denver paid, and getting a need postion. But this argument is pointless since the only reason Belkin is doing this is to try and keep payroll down see link.

http://www.ajc.com/hawks/content/sports/ha...05/09hawks.html

In conclusion, one must realize that draft picks are not all they are cracked up to be. We have a young core of players all under 24 (Smoove, Chill, maybe Joe, Marvin, and Salim) You cant be the Clippers and keep gaining young talent its like a farm team in baseball you have to add veterns at some point. With this trade we still would have our pick for next year since the pick is Boston's. So we can still add one top tier talent since this will prob be a rebuilding year. So you are giving up one 1st rd pick. The following year, assuming we make the playoffs. If we make the playoffs we can probally attract more FA and can miss one draft. For all those that covert picks think about this the past 33 1st rd. selections we have had 0 all-stars. 0 Dominuqe was drafted by the Jazz and we traded. So you are worried bout missing one of those role players if we make the playoffs. Yeh I'll take it

Quote:

Denver gave New Jersey 3 picks NOT PROTECTED for the right to sign Kenyon Martin

you have to keep in mind

1)NJ is (and WAS) a lot better than us. Since they are a playoff team, its not essential for them to PROTECT a few future first rounders. they are committed to win today, and not build for the future. adding Carter + Abdur-Rahim is more proof of that.

Their 3 first round picks = Boris + our 2 lottery protected first rounders.

i dont see any difference. unless Denver/Phoenix somehow gets lucky as anything and finds a future allstar in the low first round.

-------------------------------------------------------

however, i do agree that the 2 situations are very similar. Compile a list of top PFs and a separate list of top SG, and Martin/Joe Johnson are probably ranked about the same.

^^^ I agree. We got a fair deal, more or less. We might have overpaid a little, but that's what is necessary when the worst team wants to sign one of the top FA's, who happens to be restricted. It's not just about equal value. It's about what it will take for us to turn the corner as a franchise, and that is a stud like JJ. There will only be 1 year where we don't have a 1st rounder as a result of this trade, and we'll have to deal with it. JJ-Chill-Smith-Marvin-Al-Zaza is a great young core to build on

it sounds like you are saying its NJ that is giving Denver picks...is that what you were saying?

Just to clarify, it is Denver that is giving 3 unprotected picks to NJ for K-Mart.....and I believe that 2 of them were used to get Vince from Toronto.

Anyways, it is clear that according to that K-Mart deal, we are getting a fair deal here....although I wish it was 1 fewer pick or 1 more year of protection on it.