Latest I have on JJ

chillzatl

• Admin

JJ's house out there is officially under contract. So if this deal doesn't go down, he's going to be looking for a house somewhere, regardless.

Also, he's still scheduled to come into town on Thursday and , as of mid-afternoon, still intends to have a press conference. I can only assume that this means a Hawks press conference.

His house in Phoenix???

He is holding a press conference by himself? Because we cant hold a press conference with him. Do you think this shows confidence that the Hawks feel this whole situation will be resolvd by then, or do you think they thought today would go their way..in which case..that JJ presser aint happening.

I appreciate your optimism chillz, but I don't think we can read too much into a house contract and press conference. It seems like JJ has been planning to come to Atlanta, and this current outcome was just totally unexpected.

This is totally out of our hands. The comissioner may step in, but what if he can do nothing?

• Admin

well that's pretty much it. His house is up for sale out there. He's still coming into town this week to look for houses and, as of mid-afternoon yesterday, after the hearing, they were still planning on holding a press conference.

So either Joe and his agent are completely out of touch with what's going on, or they are very confident that it will be resolved by Thursday.

It is entirely possible that they knew last friday that if the hearing didn't go their way, Stern would step in and bump Belkin. So they had no reason to change their plans.

• Premium Member

From an AZ Central article:

Quote:

"We're currently reviewing the judge's ruling," NBA spokesman Tim Frank said.

Quote:

Judge Allan van Gestel granted the injunction
15 minutes before the restraining order was set to expire
. The other owners were prepared to take an immediate vote to remove Belkin and install co-owner Michael Gearon Jr. as governor. They could return to court today if they receive the commissioner's approval to remove Belkin as governor.

Quote:

Much of van Gestel's written explanation was supported with basketball matters,
rather than opinions on the role of a NBA governor or specifics of the owners' partnership contract.

Quote:

The judge also stated during the hearing that he did not have the NBA knowledge to render basketball judgments.

But in the court documents, van Gestel wrote: "It is hardly apparent on the present record that the deal for Johnson, however talented he may be, given what is needed for the Atlanta Hawks in order to effect it, is in the economic best interest of the franchise. In short, it is not clear that Belkin's action constitutes a removable event. Surely, the commissioner, when asked for approval, will have to consider all of the ramifications of the Johnson trade, not just that the defendants and others want him. Sometimes the cost is just too great."

I'm just confident. Stern will not let anyone trash the value of a franchise. He'll give the green light to remove Belkin. The white-hat owners will then go back to court and say they have the NBA's permission, and that jerk-off homer judge will relent, and then the trade will go through.

Belkin will go down kicking and screaming like the whiny bitch that he is. He'll probably sue the NBA and the other owners anything else that moves.

• Admin

I don't think it will shake out like that. The court has ruled that the restraining order stands. Stern has NO power to overrule that. it doesn't matter if he gives them permission or not, the court ruling stands. The current ownership CANNOT remove him from that role.

But he does have the power to act in the best interest of the NBA and one of it's franchises and remove someone from the board of governors. That does not step on the court ruling, which was directed at the other owners.

• Moderators

I don't see that happening anytime soon!

I do hope that Stern can either get Belkin out of his role as governor or get him to accept a buyout. This could be very ugly if he can't.

Gearon and Levenson said today in the paper that they would "NEVER" sell their interest in the team to Belkin. Like I said, if he is angling for a buyout he can get some extra money from this tact. If he was angling to force the others to sell to him, that is not going to happen. They'd rather wait until his contract as governor expires and then kick his #$* down the block.