• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Good Information

tmac13

I found this post over at RealGm and thought it had alot of useful information in it..Thought I would bring it over..

"1. Our GM is Billy KNIGHT not Billy KING. If you want to talk about Billy King, then go to the 76ers forum because he sure isn't our GM.

2. The GM before Billy Knight was Pete Babcock (he was hired in 1990 and replaced in 2002). The Raptors hired Rob Babcock as their GM and Pete Babcock as their director of NBA player personnel. Rob and Pete are brothers. A side note, Babcock hired BK in 2002 as an assistant after he was fired from the Grizz.

3. We do not have an over-abundance of swingmen.

Josh Childress is our starting 2 and he will occasionally play the 3.

Donta Smith doesn't play much, and when he does play it is 75% of the time at the 2, the rest is at the 3.

Josh Smith is a 3/4, he does NOT play the 2.

Marvin Williams is also a 3/4.

Al Harrington is our starting 4 and will not play the 3. If you are going to say "well 82games.com says Al played the 3 twice as much as he played the 4" then just shut up, Antoine Walker was on the team for over half the year (53 games) and Al also missed the final 9 games of the year. He did not have that much time to be the starting 4 once Antoine left (20 games) so the stats from last year are skewed. Also Al has plenty of size to play the 4 (he is 6-9 250 which is bigger than K-Mart) so don't say he doesn't have the size.

Even if we do get JJ, he would be our pg and might see 10 mpg at the 2, but we have plenty of minutes to go around. Our mpg per position should look like this:

2- Chill 25 mpg, Delk 10 mpg, Salim 10 mpg, Donta 3 mpg

3- Smoove 24 mpg, Marvin 18 mpg, Chill 6 mpg

4- Al 40 mpg, Smoove 5 mpg, Marvin 3 mpg

So if JJ is added, he fills up 30-35 mpg at the 1 and 5-10 mpg at the 2 and either Delk or Salim (most likely Delk) shift more minutes over to the 1 to backup.

4. The Hawks do not have a MLE and more than likely will not have a MLE for the next few seasons. You only get the MLE if you are over the cap and guess what, we aren't. So don't suggest "the Hawks should use their MLE to get someone like Earl Watson".

5. The LAL/BOS 1st round pick that we have will look something like this(courtesy of a mrhonline post back in July):

Quote:

The Hawks WILL get a pick in either 2006 or 2007. Either way, it will be the worst first round pick the Celtics own.

Scenario A:

L.A. finishes 11th or better in the NBA in 2006, so they give Boston their draft pick. Boston then gives us the worst of the two picks, meaning the pick could fall anywhere from #11 to #30.

Examples (30th = best record, 1st - worst record):

1. Boston finishes 30th, L.A. finishes 11th. Atlanta gets the 30th pick.

2. Boston finishes 30th, L.A. finishes 29th. Atlanta gets the 30th pick.

3. Boston finishes 1st, L.A. finishes 11th. Atlanta gets the 11th pick.

4. Boston finishes 1st, L.A. finishes 30th. Atlanta gets the 30th pick.

---

Scenario B:

L.A. still owes Boston a pick. If the Lakers finish 10th or lower in 2006, they keep the pick one more year. Boston keeps their own pick and Atlanta gets nothing.

That moves us to 2007 -

L.A. and Cleveland owe Boston a pick. Cleveland's is unconditional, L.A.'s in top3 protected. Atlanta gets the WORST of Boston's THREE picks. The Hawks are guaranteed a pick that year.

6. David Anderson is not coming over to the Hawks this year. He signed an extension with CSKA and has expressed interest in the Hawks for the 2006-2007 season. Right now he is one of the highest paid players in Europe, so it isn't even a given that he will be on the Hawks next season.

7. Trade Value of Josh Smith and Josh Childress? A lot higher than what their actual value is on the court. Think, they are both young, signed to cheap contracts that run until 2008-2009 (they are RFA then) and right now are the faces of our franchise. Same goes for Marvin except his contract is until 2009-2010 (RFA).

8. Tony Delk used his player option. He is under contract next season at 3.375 million.

9. Zaza Pachulia was signed to an offer sheet by us. The Bucks did not match. Zaza is under contract for 16 million over 4 years. His primary position is the 5.

10. The penalty for the Hawks not reaching the minimum team salary? Not that much, so don't think they have to blindly take on salary to meet the minimum. The minimum salary is set at 37.125 million this year, and if you are below that number then you are charged the difference and you pay the difference to all the players on the team equally.

11. The cap hit and payment schedule of Joe Johnson's contract, courtesy of a GrandAdmiralDan post in early August:

Quote:

Cap hit amounts

05-06

$11,999,999.25 ($9,302,325 salary, $2,697,674.25 signing bonus)

06-07

$12,744,185.25 ($10,046,511 salary, $2,697,674.25 signing bonus)

07-08

$13,488,371.25 ($10,790,697 salary, $2,697,674.25 signing bonus)

08-09

$14,232,557.25 ($11,534,883 salary, $2,697,674.25 signing bonus)

09-10

$14,976,743.25 ($12,279,069 salary, $2,697,674.25 signing bonus)

$13,488,371.25 signing bonus (due immediately)

$53,953,485 salaries

$67,441,856.25 total contract value (not quite the $70 mil reported)

Payment schedule

05-06

$22,790,696.25 ($13,488,371.25 signing bonus, $9,302,325 salary)

06-07

$10,046,511 salary

07-08

$10,790,697 salary

08-09

$11,534,883 salary

09-10

$12,279,069 salary

12. Here is what our salary cap situation looks like right now (all contract values are approximate):

1. JJ - 12 mil

2. Al Harrington - 6.875 mil

3. Zaza - 4 mil

4. Marvin - 3.883 mil

5. Delk - 3.375 mil

6. Chill - 2.677 mil

7. Collier - 1.65 mil

8. Smoove - 1.365 mil

9. Royal - .720 mil

10. Donta - .720 mil

11. Salim - .720 mil

12. .720 mil

Total - 38.705 mil

Cap Space - 10.795 mil

Although Salim is unsigned, chances are he will be signed and his caphit will be for the minimum since he is a 2nd rounder. Royal and Donta both make less than .720 mil, but .720 mil is the minimum this year so that is the cap hit. So we do not have another Max contract that we can just throw around at Chandler or Curry, but they weren't getting a Max deal in the first place.

If anyone else would like to add to this please do, I am sure I forgot something that outsiders ALWAYS bring up when talking about the Hawks.

Last edited by hawksfanatic on Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:31 pm; edited 6 times in total"

Good info by Hawksfanatic over at RealGm..

Quote:

Josh Smith is a 3/4, he does NOT play the 2.

Smoove started SEVERAL games at SG last year. I agree that SG will not likely be a position he will play longterm but saying he does not play the 2 is not accurate.

Quote:

Al Harrington is our starting 4 and will not play the 3. If you are going to say "well 82games.com says Al played the 3 twice as much as he played the 4" then just shut up, Antoine Walker was on the team for over half the year (53 games) and Al also missed the final 9 games of the year. He did not have that much time to be the starting 4 once Antoine left (20 games) so the stats from last year are skewed. Also Al has plenty of size to play the 4 (he is 6-9 250 which is bigger than K-Mart) so don't say he doesn't have the size.

Saying Al will not play the 3 is ridiculous. He WILL play SF and probably quite a bit. The team clearly sees him playing there some. Heck Nique referred to him as "the best post up SF in the game" when we first acquired him.

We all HOPE JJ will be our PG for 30-35 mpg but until he gets here and proves he can and SHOULD do it, I certainly agree that there is reason to question whether he can (or should) play that much PG. JJ's biggest strength is his versatility and ability to create matchup problems for the opposing team. Some nights, he might creat that matchup problem better by playing a different position. I expect JJ to get minutes at PG, SG and SF AT A MINIMUM.

Quote:

12. Here is what our salary cap situation looks like right now (all contract values are approximate):

1. JJ - 12 mil

2. Al Harrington - 6.875 mil

3. Zaza - 4 mil

4. Marvin - 3.883 mil

5. Delk - 3.375 mil

6. Chill - 2.677 mil

7. Collier - 1.65 mil

8. Smoove - 1.365 mil

9. Royal - .720 mil

10. Donta - .720 mil

11. Salim - .720 mil

12. .720 mil

Total - 38.705 mil

Cap Space - 10.795 mil

Although Salim is unsigned, chances are he will be signed and his caphit will be for the minimum since he is a 2nd rounder. Royal and Donta both make less than .720 mil, but .720 mil is the minimum this year so that is the cap hit. So we do not have another Max contract that we can just throw around at Chandler or Curry, but they weren't getting a Max deal in the first place.

Assuming the above salary numbers are correct (I'm not sure Zaza's contract starts at $4M - I would think $3.5M with 10% raises each year for 4 years), we still COULD offer a max contract to someone because currently, Salim, Donta and Royal are NOT under contract for this season. Using the salary numbers above, we are actually $13.675M under the cap even after we sign JJ. We COULD still sign a max FA and THEN sign Salim, Royal and Donta to minimum contracts. That is precisely why Salim, Donta and Royal have yet to be signed - signing them now would reduce our available capspace. Signing a max FA and then resigning those 3 would take us slightly over the cap (nowhere near the luxury tax) but it COULD be done. That being said, I agree that we likely would not offer the max to Chandler or Curry anyway and we certainly wouldn't offer it to any other available FA.

we would have to use our cap exceptions to risgn/resign players whom we currently own the rights too.

I'm not sure if we have our cap exception or not (someone here should, just missed some stuff this summer).

theoretically we COULD do that, but using our exception is a big deal.

I believe that we are allowed to split up that exception (under the new CBA) for several different players, for whatever that's worth.

if I'm reading it correctly, we only have to account for 11 roster spots, not 12. Therefore, theoretically, wouldn't we still have 11-12 million to spend on a FA if we so desired? Still though, I get your point.

As for Al playing the 3, it depends on matchups. If we were to somehow land Curry, I could see Al playing 3 at times with Curry at 5 and Pachulia at 4. Same thing goes if we acquire Chandler or another quality big man. From what I've seen of Pachulia and from what I've read, he's as much a PF at this point as a Center. I think he would be a good compliment to Curry at PF because he rebounds well. In addition, I've read a few reports that suggest Marvin is probably better at PF right now and I know a lot of people on this board think Smoove will likely be a PF (I don't necessarily agree).

• Premium Member

Quote:

H has anyone gotten word on whether Zaza's contract is flat or does it include the 8% raises?

No, but my guess is raised because:

1. It really didn't affect the Bucks' situation either way.

2. The Hawks could use the extra cap space this year.

3. Most deals are raised.

4. Zaza is young, so the raises are reasonable.

The differences are immaterial (to us):

(Raised vs. Flat)

Year 1: 3.57 vs. 4.00

Year 2: 3.86 vs. 4.00

Year 3: 4.14 vs. 4.00

Year 4: 4.43 vs. 4.00

I'd say we assume raised until we hear otherwise.

You need to remember the proposed deal for Curry would be a sign and trade. At $10 in Cap room, you trade less than $7 million away in Al Harrington. You could sign Curry for $14 million and if my math is correct, 17-14 = 3 million under the cap.

I am by no means a cap cruncher but I believe you must also have 14 on the roster now per the CBA. The extra 3 mil goes to sign those 2 players.

• Moderators

You can't sign Curry for 14M - that is above the max contract for a player with his experience in the league. (Moreover, why would you want to pay him that much when you could have him for significantly less?)

I've realized what the cap space was for us, even my adding Joe Johnsons name, and when I look at the roster I just don't see Al Harrington having a future. He will want similar, if not more money after next season, and I don't expect him to be back. I presently focus on trading him, if I'm Billy Knight, and we could use him with added young talent to fetch us a impact center.

I know it is all a matter of where a guy is drafted, but it seems a little out of whack that Marvin is making nearly 3 times as much a Smoove..There should be allowances in the CBA that allow teams with exceptional rookies be able to slightly bump their pay if they hit performance clauses..

trace, he played OVER THREE TIMES more forward than SG, even tho he had to play sg when toine/al were in the game...

that shows u he is not a sg, but a forward that was forced to play sg just to log mins in the game...

if he was even close to a sg, then he woulda had much more parity in guard/forward time...but as soon as he didnt have to play guard, woodson moved him to forward every time...

the fact of the matter is he only played 7% of the sg mins last season...