• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Man that Matt Jones is going to be something

Admin

that catch he made tonight was just insane. He could very well end up being the most dangerous receiving weapon in the league if he is used right. With his size cant be covered by a corner. With his speed he cant be covered by a LB or most safeties. With his leaping ability and incredible hands he should be money in the red zone.

On a side note, this is the 1st I have seen of the Falcons this offseason and they look even better this year. If Vick can stay healthy they will certainly be dangerous.

Matt has the size of a tight end and the speed of a wide receiver. He is also a very, very smart football player. I saw him for all four years he was at Arkansas. The guy is a great athlete. He was one of the better athletes on the Arkansas basketball team as well.

The only thing that Matt doesn't have that the great wide receivers have is that suddeness off the line. Matt is a long strider that doesn't look like he is running as fast as he does, but when you watch him, he's leaving people in his dust. It takes him a bit to get up to full speed, but once he's there, no one can run with him.

The guy is simply an incredible athlete. I don't think I've ever seen a player that combines his size and speed ratio.

I don't know if he will ever be a great player at any one position, but he will be a good player at several positions. He can play wide receiver, tight end, h-back, and even be an emergency quarterback. He's like a modern day Jim Jensen, except that Matt is a better athlete.

"If Vick can stay healthy they will certainly be dangerous."

That is the key. Although I have liked most of what I've seen this preseason, I'm beginning to worry about Schaub as the backup. He didn't move the team at all this game. He looked worst last week against the Titans. If anything happens to Mike we could be in a world of hurt. We really need a better backup. I would hate to see a repeat of the season before last.

Quote:

The only thing that Matt doesn't have that the great wide receivers have is that suddeness off the line. Matt is a long strider that doesn't look like he is running as fast as he does, but when you watch him, he's leaving people in his dust. It takes him a bit to get up to full speed, but once he's there, no one can run with him.

The guy is simply an incredible athlete. I don't think I've ever seen a player that combines his size and speed ratio.

Randy Moss comes to mind, except Moss does have the quickness off of the line.

the freakish ability to take the ball from anyone like Moss does. What Jones has on Moss is the ability to outmuscle almost any defender, as well as blow past most of them. Moss can outrun and outjump most of them, but he wont outmuscle anyone and he isnt exactly all that special going across the middle.

2 inches on Moss, thats not much if you cant jump or dont have the speed and quickness. Cornerbacks are usually under 6'1" and can jump out of the gym.

Jones isn't a deep threat.

Out muscle? Maybe in bump and run, but he still doesnt have the quickness to get by the defender.

Just wait till someone takes him out at the knees, he's done.

• Moderators

Quote:

2 inches on Moss, thats not much if you cant jump or dont have the speed and quickness. Cornerbacks are usually under 6'1" and can jump out of the gym.

Jones isn't a deep threat.

Out muscle? Maybe in bump and run, but he still doesnt have the quickness to get by the defender.

Just wait till someone takes him out at the knees, he's done.

I have to disagree on this one. He is faster than most quarterbacks, but not as quick, and can definitely jump. The man did play on the basketball team, it isn't like he is totally lacking quickness and jumping ability. At a minimum, he has superior speed and height and can jump for the ball. He is almost a deep threat by default with those attributes - especially because you can't really take him out at the knees on deep patterns if you want to also defend the actual pass.

He ran a 4.3 at the combine, which is faster than probably 90% of the WRs and CBs in the NFL. He also had a 40+ inch vertical, which is extremely good for someone with his height. Not to mention he is also very strong. When I am talking about his size compared to Moss, I am not talking about height. Its like comparing the size between Shawn Bradley and Yao Ming. Both are very tall for their positions, but Ming would have a major size advantage, just as Jones does here.

By the way, I am not trying to compare Jones to Moss because he has a long way to go, but I am very impressed with him thus far.