• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

QUESTION: How much will Al get?

ATL_BALLER

I suspect he is going to ask for upwards of 10-per, but I'm not convinced he'll get that.

If we can resign him at a reasonable price, would you? Marvin and Smoov are the future, yes - but if ever expect to compete again, we need depth, and I don't see the problem with having three stud forwards. Of course, someone is going to have to sit during crunch time - the real question is: would Al be able willing to be that guy?

Talk to me-

Of course if Al has a very good or very bad year it will influence future contract but in general I'd say his price will be more influenced by how many teams go after him, etc. We do need depth but I just dont think a team can ever go very far if it's weak up the middle. With our current crop of forwards we just arent able to control the paint. Al is probably the weakest in this area, he doesnt rebound very well and tends to go for the charge as opposed to stopping the ball. I think Al will get some sort of pay raise and probably be around $8mil per yr. I'd rather trade him and get a player that's less of a duplication of our other forwards. Even one of our old overpaid forwards like Reef or Antoine would be better fits and they now are paid less than Al may get. I'd rather move Al before the trade deadling but I dont think we have to, a post season sign and trade would probably work and might be more likely. I wouldnt be surprised if we resigned him but then traded him later or even if we just let him go. I just dont see him being with us more than another year or two.

• Premium Member

I'm for giving Al an extension on his contract that he has now...

I think that starts at about 8.5 million. Over four yrs, he would make about 41 million. That's very fair and very reasonable. Al is still the best player we have right now and with JJ here, I think he and JJ can be a dynamic duo...

Al also has to recognize that there are not a lot of people in the market for Sfs... I think the only team that we have to be concerned with is N.O.

if his game changes none at all then, and we do know what we have, i'm completly against giving him such a contract (that diesel proposed~ startin at 10 million with the 12.5%).

he's simply not worth that.

he's not as valuable as Bibby, or CWebb...if you use the old sacto (which we're not there yet by any means) as an equivalent.

they overpaid for Bibby (I think JWill's new contract was once in Memphis...if wrong on that, then look at that as a good starting point for Al's next contract).

Extending him 5 years at 10 millino starter makes no sense if he can't start boarding more and playing some d.

I agree. He definitely isn't worth that, even though he'll probably get that in the open market. Which is why in the end I think it's best to trade him at the deadline or SNT next offseason. He can get the big deal he wants, we can get talent in return that fits in better with our youth. The only way in which it makes sense for him to stay long term is if he is willing to accept a smaller contract, and I'm not sure that I see that happening

• Premium Member

Quote:

i'm completly against giving him such a contract (that diesel proposed~ startin at 10 million with the 12.5%).

Quote:

Extending him 5 years at 10 millino starter makes no sense if he can't start boarding more and playing some d.

Wow... Is this supposed to be spin??

I said a 4 yr extension starting at 8.5 million...

I guess you just go through trying to put words in my mouth huh??

I actually would like to rescind my previous post, and indeed state that I'll need ot 'review' some of the Al things...

for whatever reasons, I thought that Al was making near 10 million dollars this season...and that the extensions would go from there.

Correction: I did the research and double checked it:

Al is making 6.875 this year (the end of a four year deal he signed with the Pacers).

To continue him on the 'extension plan' it would start at 7.7 for the first year (under 12% raises). I didn't do the math from there on up...but that makes the contract much more palatable than previously thought...probably topping out at 10 million but not averaging that.

This surprised me as most posts on this baoard seme to be going from the point of Al making more than that/ near 8 million this year.

interesting.

AND ~ has anyone found out the ruling on 'extensions of old contracts' under the new CBA? does it use the 'new' raise adjuster or the old?

Quote:

I suspect he is going to ask for upwards of 10-per, but I'm not convinced he'll get that.

If we can resign him at a reasonable price, would you? Marvin and Smoov are the future, yes - but if ever expect to compete again, we need depth, and I don't see the problem with having three stud forwards. Of course, someone is going to have to sit during crunch time - the real question is: would Al be able willing to be that guy?

Talk to me-

As in $10 million per? If Billy pays Al that kind of money, the NBA is truly out of the reality scale and we deserve to be bad for many more years.

There is no way he gets $8-10 million from this organization.

Not with the way Billy Knight and the entire coaching staff has continuosly re-itterated that we had the tools for the future "in place" (Marvin and Smoove are the future)

Al will more than likely be a S&T deal or a trade deadline deal for a 1st rounder; that is if he is productive.

Unfortuanetly I dont see a place for him in the Future unless we deal one of the kids.

• Premium Member

Quote:

if he continues to shoot like this the whole season and that knee doesn't bother him any he might be worth it, he is shooting lights out. Marvin is going to take a couple years to get ready anyway, I think he should be offered a 3 year contract , something like that.

I agree. I don't think that Al is going anywhere. The coaches love him. He's a good guy and a team leader. He wants to be here. The team is starting develop some chemistry. And most of all, he is developing an outside shot so therefore he has a position. He will be our starting small forward for a while.

• Premium Member

I don't think we should trade Al for a first.

We're already having a time trying to develop all of the first rounders we have gotten in the last few years. With the contract of JJ, we sent the signal out that we are not in that stage of rebuilding any longer... We only trade for proven commodities.

2ndly, I think Al wants to be here and I don't think we have a player better than Al.

I'm would like to see us get Al a 8.5 million dollar deal for about 41.3 million over 4 yrs. I would say that's very fair and it will work for us....

JJ, JC, Al, Smoove, Zaza... That's a good lineup. We need to add depth and size..

• Premium Member

Quote:

We need to add depth and size..

While I agree that the Hawks have passed out of the "trade talent for picks" stage, re-signing Al means that the Hawks will be competing with a tweener at PF for the next four or five years.

Trade Harrington for a legitimate 4/5.

• Premium Member

Who knows, Al may play Sf and let Smoove play PF... However, there are not too many good deals for Al. I mean, who's going to trade a Legit PF for a "tweener" PF. Also, I think that we have a good makeup with the guys we will put on the floor opening night:

Zaza, Al, Smoove, Chillz, JJ.

That's a 6'9 team yes, but they do have all the functions that we need. We need to rally around this group and bring in some other players that add depth. For instance, instance of trading our top scorer, I would trade Delk for Aaron Williams. With all the size they have in Toronto, getting another shooter to help Mike James will be nice for them... We could use the scrap that Williams brings.

If not Aaron Williams, I would focus on getting Etan Thomas or Kendrick Perkins or Chris Wilcox...

We need one of the second tier Cs with size to back up Zaza.. But in my mind, Zaza is it for now!