• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

3-0 to open the season?

djcorley

I think we're in prime position to open the year with 3 straight wins. Last year we had to just about play a perfect game to compete and win. This year I don't think that's the case..Last year, most teams we played against had more talent. This year I don't think that's the case.

We don't have to play a perfect game to compete and win against many teams in the NBA and the three teams we open up against are some of them. GS, LAC, and POR are all games we can win...and we don't have to play above our heads to do it.

If we open up 3-0 we should have a fairly large and energetic crowd for the home opener against the Lakers...I think it would do wonders for our confidence not to mention gaining some respect around the league.

Who's jumping on the 3-0 bandwagon with me?

Eh...we'll definately be a better team than last year, but I don't know how quick we will show improvement.

Al/Smoove/Chill should still play together well, but how quickly can Zaza and JJ (especially JJ) mesh with them. I think Marvin should steadily get better throughout the season (Enough for us to trade Al at the deadline?), but it might take him time. Where's the depth in the frontcourt? Etc., etc.

I don't see us going 3-0 on the West Coast to open the year. GS and LAC should be fighting for playoff spots this year, so I think our best chance to steal a W will be @ Portland. Getting one win out there would be an improvement over our start last year. Can we go 3-0 out there? Certainly, we've got the talent, but that hasn't exactly helped us in recent years.

They both may push for the playoffs...but, they're both banged up right now and they have a bunch of new faces on their squads as well...they're prime for the pickin' right now and we can get em'...I'm not saying we should win and we certainly have some question marks of our own...but, I believe we can get to 3-0 to start the season and it'll give us great momentum out of the gate.

When I looked at the schedule, my first thoughts were, this team could realistically start off 3-0. That would be huge to start the season strong and put some W's up while the team is still learning to play together.

• Premium Member

I am in a good mood this morning, so I will hop on the bandwagon. That would be great it we could start off good for a change. I am just glad that we finally get to watch the team on TV. Win or lose, I will still be happy (but it sure would be fun to rub it in to everyone who laughs at me for being a Hawks fan, HAHAHA!!!)

• Premium Member

I think GS has good players but a good team... I'm not so sure. I do agree that they will be hard for us to beat. They have a lot of talent in the backcourt PLUS, they have Murphy healthy.

I suspect that they will lineup:

Davis/Richardson/JR/Murphy/Foyle... That's a very good lineup to begin the season with. However, if we stop Davis/Richardon, I think we beat them like a Pinyatta!

Quote:

if we stop Davis/Richardon, I think we beat them like a Pinyatta!

I agree with Diesel here. If Chillz and JJ can hang with their backcourt we have a good shot of winning this one.

Harrington, ZaZa, Smoove, and MWill should be able to almost score and rebound at will against their frontcourt.

• Premium Member

I'm sorta stuck between 2-1 and 1-2.

I think all three games are teams we can play with... However, we haven't had our full squad Healthy for 1 pre-season game. I think that Both PTL and LAC are well coached, but when it comes to LAC and GS, I think we have enough talent (in the right positions) to beat them...

3-0 is reaching, but not unrealisticly. I actually could see this team being 4 and 1, with our only deafeat against the Lakers.

I figure after we strut our Hawksquawk Shirts at the Clippers Game, we will have a spike in people registering for this board. If our team wins it's 4th game on this night. Then this board will be crawling with new posters.

If we only win 1 game on the 3 game road trip, then it be a big letdown. We are good enough to play with these teams, so why not go out and beat them!!!

Quote:

3-0 is reaching, but not unrealisticly. I actually could see this team being 4 and 1, with our only deafeat against the Lakers.

0-3: very possible

1-2:most likely

2-1:reaching

3-0: scientific impossibilty

But if we do go 3-0, ill be everyone a beer at the Nov 10th game!

Besides the NFL, the homecourt advantage means a lot in this sport. The NFL and NBA are two of the hardest sports to win an away game.

Realistically I see 1 - 2 or even 0 - 3. I think we will be in all 3 of the games and I will be interested in how Woody coaches down the stretch (4th quarter), when historically the Hawks usually collapse.

Come on now...I had my doubts coming into the season about how quickly this team could come together...and, I haven't SEEN them play...but, i've listend to every game on the radio and we're not bad...ZaZa gives us a decent inside threat and Esteban isn't afraid of anything or anybody and we know we'll get up and down efforts from Salim and Marvin because they are rooks...but, the preseason has given me hope that we'll get more ups then downs...WE CAN DO 3-0!!! all we have to do is "GET ER DONE!"

Quote:

Quote:

0-3: very possible

1-2:most likely

2-1:reaching

3-0: scientific impossibilty

But if we do go 3-0, ill be everyone a beer at the Nov 10th game!

575 tickets sold X $7 Beer = A lot of money, that's almost a Hundred Dollars!

I can't agree with "scientific impossibility". If the Heat, Spurs, and Pistons were our first 3 games, then I see what you mean. Even if you have a bad look on the Hawks, it isn't like the Warriors, Trail Blazers, and Clippers are anything great.

Winning on the road is tough. That might give all 3 of these teams adavantages, and they may sweep us. What if our first 3 games was at home against these 3 teams. Is it still impossible to sweep?

we bought 575 tickets on hawksquawk? wow...but im still not worried. A homecourt advantage would make it slightly easier to accomplish, but until the Hawks prove to me that they are a contender, im not going to make outrageous claims that they will start the season 3-0. How many three game winning streaks have we had the past 5 years? any at all?

Let me put it this way. Those teams were bad last year, probably all worse than this year, and yet we were 0-6 against them. We are better than last year, but not good enough to go from 0-6 to 3-0. Portland is bad. LA and GS are playoff caliber in the west, we're lottery caliber in the east. Not to mention that we won a grand total of 4 away games ALL YEAR and now you want us to win 3 in a row. Not to mention we never even won 2 games back to back last year.

I'm not trying to rain on the parade, but rationally, 3-0 just is not happening. 2-1 would be outstanding for us and I highly doubt we can do that.

Even if we give ourselves a 40% chance of winning each of those games (probably slightly generous), that means there's a 6% chance that we win all 3. I'd put my money on the 94% bet.

But hey I would love nothing more than for you guys to prove me wrong

Thanks for the stats bro...they mean nothing at all...but, thanks anyway....

These games can be won and I believe they will be won....just like the Giants on Sunday put that spanking on the Skins...those guys had something to play for that you cannot measure...We lost Collier and our guys are going to be jacked up playing for him this season...and I wouldn't be that surprised if we rolled off 5 or 6 in a row to start the season.

When emotions come into play you can throw stats out of the window...those teams can and will be had...don't under estimate the power of emotion!!!