• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

gibson or rondo?

lifelong

• Moderators

I haven't seen nearly as much of Gibson but I know Rondo is going to be special. He has the feel for the game; long arms and amazing quickness. He shoots a high % but doesn't feel the need to launch up a volume of shots and would prefer to create for others. He is my preference.

I have seen Gibson a few times. Last year they had some injuries to key players and Gibson was forced to be their primary scorer as well as the pg.

He is a scorer with good size, quickness and a sweet J. Not completely sold on his pg skills though. Apparently scouts advised him not to turn pro so he could get more experience and improve his pg skills.

Quote:

most people here seem to love rondo. ... he's a better shooter at this point than rondo, though rondo may be quicker.

Rondo shot 30% from 3pt range last year and 58% from the line. I'd like to see those come up to adequate levels before canonizing Rondo. Glue defense and real good point, though. I'd like him more at picks 5-10 than 1-3.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

most people here seem to love rondo. ... he's a better shooter at this point than rondo, though rondo may be quicker.

Rondo shot 30% from 3pt range last year and 58% from the line. I'd like to see those come up to adequate levels before canonizing Rondo. Glue defense and real good point, though. I'd like him more at picks 5-10 than 1-3.

He isn't a good jump shooter and needs to improve that part of his game but he did lead the national team in FG% this offseason and will shoot > 50% for UK because he is good at getting to the hole and has good shot selection. There is no reason to canonize him but I think he fits this team's needs pretty well both defensively and offensively. I'll admit to bias, though!

• Premium Member

I like Rondo because:

#1 He's very long. He's listed 6'2" but he has LONG arms and Big "a" hands...

He's also quick.

He also plays the passing lanes very well.

I think Rondo could come into the NBA and lead the league in steals/assists within his first 3 yrs.

SUNDAY JAN 29, 2006

RONDO Vs. RONNIE!!!!

Hi guys.....

Long time reader, don't get a chance to post often. My vote is for Rondo. Here is a blurb on the best prospects for 2006 by Chad Ford. If you need anything else, let me know.

Rajon Rondo

Point Guard (Rank: #3) | 6-2, 171 | Age: 19

Kentucky (Louisville, KY)

Draft Projection: Top 10

Notes: Rondo stepped up and dramatically improved his draft stock. Rondo was inconsistent for Kentucky during his freshman season. But he was great for Team USA this summer at the Under 21 World Championships. He averaged 11 points, 4.5 assists and 2.7 steals (which led the tournament) while playing 20 minutes per game and leading Team USA to a 7-1 record.

Positives: He is a long, super-athletic point guard with great quickness and the ability to take just about anyone off the dribble. He loves the up-tempo game. "He's the quickest player in college basketball," one NBA scout told Insider. "He's so fast, he makes even the best defenders look like they have lead in their feet. He also plays a lot bigger than he measures. He's got a really long wingspan that allows him to cover an enormous amount of court space on the defensive end. He was a steals machine."

Negatives: He's an inconsistent shooter, especially from long range.

Summary: Rondo loves the up-tempo game, but what impressed scouts the most was his leadership and ability to play under control. "He's a true point guard," another scout said. "He knows how to lead. He sees the floor well and he's got the right balance between being able to take over the game when he needs to and being unselfish the rest of the time." The fact that Rondo outplayed several other top point guards -- including Temple's Mardy Collins, UConn's Marcus Williams and Memphis' Darius Washington at the U.S. trials in Colorado Springs and Texas' Daniel Gibson in the Nike camp -- has helped his cause as well. After an amazing summer playing for Team USA, every scout Insider talked to had Rondo rated as the top point guard in the draft -- with Gibson running a close second -- and a likely top-10 pick.

Daniel Gibson

Point Guard (Rank: #4) | 6-3, 190 | Age: 19

Texas (Houston, TX)

Draft Projection: Top 10

Positives: Gibson has just about everything you could ask for in a point guard. He's an excellent athlete, very quick and has good size for the position. He has the ability to score from the perimeter or by attacking the basket, and he's great in the open court. He gets to the line. He has excellent floor vision and never lets scoring get in the way of involving his teammates.

Negatives: Scouts aren't totally convinced that he'll be a pass-first point guard in the league. He's still makes too many mistakes. However, some of that must be attributed to the huge load he had to carry at Texas as a freshman.

Summary: If he can lead a talented Texas team deep into the Tournament, he could move ahead of Rajon Rondo (much like Williams bested Paul) as the top point guard at the end of the day

**I find myself looking at college b-ball looking for our next PG and big man.

~therook

For all those that love to talk about basketball, but don't pay attention. No Ivey and Gibson didnt play at the same time since Gibson is a soph. but Ivey never played the point. Ever hear of a guy named T.J. Ford. Ivery played the SG in college, and we drafted him trying to make him a PG.

• Moderators

Quote:

For all those that love to talk about basketball, but don't pay attention. No Ivey and Gibson didnt play at the same time since Gibson is a soph. but Ivey never played the point. Ever hear of a guy named T.J. Ford. Ivery played the SG in college, and we drafted him trying to make him a PG.

For those who like to make condescending remarks - check your facts first. Ford was drafted after Ivey's junior year. Ivey took over the PG spot in Texas for his senior season. We drafted him after he was already a PG.

Quote:

Quote:

For those who like to make condescending remarks - check your facts first. Ford was drafted after Ivey's junior year. Ivey took over the PG spot in Texas for his senior season. We drafted him after he was already a PG.

You both are only partly right. Ivey did play point guard his senior year at Texas, but he is not a natural point guard like Ford or Gibson.

I am going to try and follow both this season. My concern with Rondo is obviously his shot. However he can drive and finish and right now the Hawks take too many jumpshots. Obviously his D is much needed also.

Zaza is the only Hawk who gets to the line consistently. Nobody else really breaks down the D and can finish or draw the foul. Harrington shoots fadeaways most of the time. JJ and Al only get about 5-6 foul shots a game between them.

If the Hawks draft Gibson, who I like also, I would be worried about them becoming too much of a jump shooting team. He did have a lot of turnovers last year too.