• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Jumpshot improvement of our second year players

Iman

Statistically and many times on the court it has looked like our second year players have regressed. The last 5-10 games or so that hasnt looked like the case to me. I think what happened is both the Joshes were told they had to improve their outside shot and they worked so hard at it that early in the season it took them out of what really works about their games. I'm sure their shooting percentages are way off last year's but I'm sure if you broke it down to shots outta the paint, etc, both are doing much better, especially after a couple of cold starts. JSmoove still throws up and extreme brick occasionally but when he squares up he looks good. Last year I think about half his made baskets were dunks, otherwise his shooting percentage would've been horrible. The most impressive to me has been the last 5 games or so by Chill. He seems to be automatic from outside lately. And it doesnt looks so ugly when it goes in. I also have loved the way he drives and kicks out to mainly Salim, that has really worked. Ivey also seems to be shooting a little better from outside.

I still think JJ, JChill, Marvin and JSmoove are the core of our future team and will each get around 30mins per game when it all pans in a year or two. We'll also need a good passing point and big defensive center that will get 30 mpg also. Salim and ZaZa should get more like 20mpg.

I think Childress made 2 jumpers in the last game which is indeed a major accomplishment. It only happened a handful of times last year.

The thing that really frustrates me about Chill is that if he had a conventional shot he would be very tough to stop because he jumps so high so quickly on his jumper. With that funky release even if he started making them he would have a hard time getting open enough to get it off.

Iman...I can't argue about the jump shooting. Just from memory it seems to me that we have out jump-shot most of the teams we have played lately (%age wise). Problem is the # of layups/inside baskets we're giving up on the other end. The Jazz didn't shoot 58% or so for the game on us because they were on fire from the perimeter (although Harpring was having a field day)...mostly it was catches in the paint that did it.

• Premium Member

BTW, 82games.com keeps track of these kind of statistics.

I looked up both of the Josh's "jumpshot" eFG%, which takes into account that three-pt. jumpshots are more valuable than 2-pt jumpshots.

2004-5:

Childress --> 30% eFG, for an average of 1.8 ppg

Smith --> 28% eFG, for an average of 2.2 ppg

2005-6:

Childress --> 52% eFG, for an average of 1.6 ppg

Smith --> 31% eFG, for an average of 3.1 ppg

It seems that Childress is the only one of the two who has improved his jumpshot, but is taking fewer of them. Go figure.

-------

What's more interesting is the change in what type of shot the Josh's are taking:

2004-5:

Childress --> 37% jumpshot, 53% inside

Smith --> 49% jumpshot, 51% inside

2005-6:

Childress --> 28% jumpshot, 72% inside

Smith --> 62% jumpshot, 38% inside

• Premium Member

I will say what the Joshes are going through right now is typical...

It's called the Sophomore slump.

Look around the League....

Jefferson, Okafor, Gordon, Telfair... A case can be made that all these guys were better last yr.

Partly because in your rookie year, you learned some things, you put it together near the end, but coming into the new season, other teams have scouted you better AND you have forgotten the pace and intensity of the game.

Coupled with a changeover of personnell top to Bottom

&

Coaching that doesn't seem to define role...

I'm not too concerned with the Joshes

I am worried about JJ.

He's had some good games, but aside from good numbers, I want to see him find a role that's comfortable to him.. I don't think he has yet. But I say give em time.

Nice stats MrH. I didnt know 82games broke it down that way.

So we've went from a team that couldnt do anything to a team that at least can shoot jumpers. Now we just need the rest.

I'm also worried about JJ and the team in general getting too much of a losing attitude. Also I bet other teams shoot a little better against us just from being relaxed and knowing we suck. We need to start winning regular once the schedule lets up.

The lack of role for JJ is just another coaching blunder by this team. You have to maximize his skills. If you're going to have him run the point, you need shooters around him. If you're going to put him at the 2, you need to run plays strictly for him. The same goes for Salim when he's in the game.

I don't think JJ has a problem being the main scoring option, the distributor, or the decoy at times. Personally, I think he defers to Al waaaaay too much on this team. And it may take for Harrington to leave, before we can really see what JJ can give us on a nightly basis.

But then again, it goes back to coaching.

Damn . . I wasn't this critical of this staff when I thought we were just unlucky in those close games. But now I'm seeing that we may be creating our own bad luck, with some of the lineups and personnel we're putting out on the floor in key situations.

Coach is going to have to be willing to sit some guys down in certain situations, regardless of how good of a player they "think" they are. I'm getting to the point to where I DON'T want to see either Al, Lue, or ZaZa in the lineup at the end of games.

You give me Ivey, Salim, and JJ on the perimeter, with Smoove and either ZaZa or Harrington ( but not both at the same time ) in the game, and I'll like our chances a whole lot better. At least that group gives us a fighting shot from an offensive and defensive standpoint.

But that type of thinking is too progressive for our coaching staff.