• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Seko's piece on trade rumors Sat. 7:00

DrReality

Trade rumors circulate furiously

The NBA rumor mill shows no signs of slowing down now that the league's trade season is in full swing. The latest has the Hawks and Nuggets talking about a possible deal that would send Harrington to Denver for point guard Earl Watson and injured power forward Nene.

There's also a scenario where the teams would be involved in a three-team deal that would send Harrington back to Indiana and volatile Pacers forward Ron Artest to Denver.

"I don't comment about rumors and speculation," Hawks general manager Billy Knight said Saturday when asked if there had been talks with any of the teams mentioned.

Harrington, who said he doesn't "have time to speculate about speculation," is in the final year of his contract and will be one of the most coveted free agents on the market this summer.

"The NBA is full of speculation and rumors. Always has been and always will be," Nuggets general manager Kiki Vandeweghe told the Denver Post. "I wish there was something exciting [out there], but there really is nothing happening."

Vandeweghe was scheduled to attend to Sunday's game but remained in Denver to man the phones with all the trade talk swirling.

Nene tore his anterior cruciate ligament in the season opener but had surgery and is reportedly ahead of schedule in his recovery.

"I have no comment on things I have no control over," Nene told the Post. "My recovery is on schedule, which I am happy about. I'm going to keep working hard."

Nene, a fourth-year pro and 2003 All-Rookie team pick, will be restricted free agent this summer. Watson is in the first year of a five-year, $29 million deal and the Nuggets are overloaded at point guard.

Watson declined to comment but has said that he was open to a trade in hopes of earning more playing time. He is behind Andre Miller and Earl Boykins.

Hmmm..that's funny b/c I was just talking about Nene this morning. I was hoping we'd be keeping Harrington, though, with our much improved play.

Earl Watson / Royal Ivey / Tyronn Lue

Joe Johnson / Salim Stoudamire

Marvin Williams / Josh Childress

Josh Smith /

Zaza Pachulia / Nene Hilario

Ivey/Johnson/Smith/Pachulia/Halario would be a sweet defensive team in the future. Not sure about Earl's D.

to Denver for Watson/Nene. If we can sign Al to an extension starting at $8M or so, I'm all for it. However, if he's looking for $10M or so to start, I'd rather have Watson and Nene. We would kill two birds with one stone by getting a quality PG and a quality big man. Neither guy is as good as Al individually but they fill big needs and both Smoove and Marvin have the potential to be a better version of Al in a couple of years. Nene will be a restricted FA but he's coming off knee surgery so I don't think we will have to worry about getting into a bidding war for him. Worse case, he signs the 1 year tender and becomes unrestricted the following year but if we make him a reasonable longterm offer, I'll be he signs it.

The bottom line for me is that I would rather resign Al but if his asking price is going to be too much, don't wait too long - get a good deal while you can.

With Al the Hawks are not going to win any championships.Why not get talent in return while you have the chance? Al is playing his heart out but JJ and Al can't win championships by themselves.The rest of the lineup besides ZaZa is questionable at best.If this deal was offered you would have to take it.The Hawks are not in a good position to sign free agents since no one wants to come. Watson and Nene while not all pros would be better than anything we have now.Losing Al's scoring means someone else will have to pick it up and at this time I am not sure there is that person.Marvin would start and develop quicker than being on the bench.

Defense wins championships and Al has some problems in his defense.don't get me wrong al and JJ are the leaders on this team but the Hawks are not going to win any championships any time soon the way the club is constructed now.

I see BK's vision in 2 years. I see us being an ELITE team in the NBA,

I see a rotation of Josh Smith, Zaza, and Nene in the front court. I see Marvin playing the SF spot with Childress bringing it great minutes off the bench. I see Joe Johnson at the 2 with Salim being the other stud off the bench. I see us bringing in a great PG with Earl backing him up. Isn't Earl's best attribute his D? Anyways, I see a very young, very athletic team wtih experience.

I love Al Harrington but I dont see him wanting to stay if Indy offers the same thing we do. His great locker room presence doesn't quite make up for his lack of D.

If we pull this trade off and get a top notch pg we will be a great team in 2 years. With Al, I think we can only be an OK team.

it's a risk i think even with quality of players coming to us..we'd need another scoring threat...

i will say this though..IF we did do this trade we would start to see some serious losing for another good stretch of games until our youth develops more offensively..i don't want to hear any whining about this person needs to be fired or that person needs to be fired because of that...we had chemistry issues in the beginning and those things are working themselves out..this would get mess the chemistry up and take one of our big 2 out..

but i do feel in the long run it may help..we have better depth now (as you can tell how well we're doing with only the big 2 now as opposed to last year's big 2)

for perhaps the rest of the season. If this deal is made, it is clearly a move for the future. Like a few have said, I'd rather squeeze Miller out of Denver than Watson but I doubt Denver does that if they have to give up Nene too.

Denver desperately needs shooting as well. Would anyone do Al/Salim/Delk for Miller/Nene?

Miller/Lue

JJ/Chillz

Smoove/Marvin

Nene

Zaza

looks pretty good on paper for next year. Thoughts?

I have no problem with Miller as a player, but he will be 30 in March and has a big contract that runs through '09. By the time the Hawks young core starts realizing their potential Miller will be on the decline with a bloated contract. Then the Hawks will be in the exact same position they are now, looking for a pg.

Only it will be worse then because their options will be limited due to the cap.

• Premium Member

Nene' would have NO LOYAlTY to Atlanta. What makes any of you trade Al people believe that Nene' would want to stay. He would be a UFA.

I say if you really want Nene' then let's get him after we resign Al or SNT Al in the offseason. BUT What you're guys are suggesting really is Al for Watson with a possibility (not for sure) of getting Nene' at a much higher salary.

That's like 15 million dollars that we would spend on Nene' Watson next year.

And you guys are complaining about paying Al 8-9??

Quote:

Nene' would have NO LOYAlTY to Atlanta. What makes any of you trade Al people believe that Nene' would want to stay. He would be a UFA.

I thought you would know better than to say something that ignorant. Nene is on his rookie contract. If the trade goes down he is restricted.

Also the Hawks would have all the leverage on their side. Other teams would be reluctant to make on offer for him because they know the Hawks are desparate for a center and would match. Plus Nene would be reluctant to take a 1 year deal after just having a major injury.

And I haven't seen any better ideas from you how to get a center.

The Hawks can get a pg and a center by trading an unrestricted fa in his last year. They couldn't possibly do better than that.

AP Report from November:

Quote:

Nene, a first-round pick in 2002, had potential to be a big cog in the Nuggets' plans this season, although his exact role for the long term hadn't been precisely worked out. Denver passed on a chance to extend his contract in the offseason, instead deciding to let him become a restricted free agent next summer.

• Premium Member

Speaking of Something ignorant??

You did know that Denver didn't sign Nene to an extension didn't you??

if not, you're ignorant.

You do know what that means right?

Let me help you...

Quote:

Teams have until the October 31 preceding the player's second season to exercise their option for the player's third season. Likewise, they have until the October 31 preceding the player's third season to exercise their option for the player's fourth season (see question number 50 for more information on options). If the team invokes both options (keeping the player for all four seasons) then the player becomes a restricted free agents following his fourth season (see question number 36 for more information on restricted free agency).
If the team declines either option, then the player enters free agency as an unrestricted free agent.

Next time, you want to correct somebody.. GO and get the Facts...