• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Season (Please Respond)

dimes4life

Hello Hawks fans! Now is the time to get excited! We're less than a month from the start of the 2002-2003 N.B.A. season and there have benn siginficant moves this offseason; some that have benefited teams and others not. The Hawks were definitely moving around players this season and for once, they look like a team that is going to be reckoned with. With Abdur-Rahim, Robinson and Terry as your new "Big 3". Although chemistry could be a problem once the season starts, by tthe all-star break the team should be unified. But don't be surprised if the Hawks lose a few games unexpectedly because of this new team. I have lived in Sacramento all my life, and the Kings faced this during the 1998-1999 season when J-Dub, C-Webb and staff made the playoffs. The weakness the Hawks will have though is defense. with the loss of D.J. for the whole year, the Hawks lost more than a "slasher", they lost their best defensive perimiter player. And the question is, who is going to fill that role? This will be a concern. With this in mind, here are my predicitions for the Eastern Conference:(With the current rosters)

1)New Jersey Nets

2)New Orleans Hornets

3)Boston Celtics

4)Detroit Pistons

5)Atlanta Hawks

6)Orlando Magic

7)Philadelphia 76ers

8)Washington Wizards

Detroit needs to be knocked down and Orlando

will probably be better than us if Hill plays enough

games.

Newble is our best perimeter player and not DJ but

I would have considered DJ a close 2nd.We will count

on Ham to help with this.

I believe the reason Detroit stays up there is because the addition of Chauncey Billups. Although they lost Jerry Stackhouse , they did get Rip Hamilton. And they are only going to get better as a team. Not only that, but they work exteremly hard on the defensive end, and they have a very relaible bench with Jon Berry, Rebraca, Atkins and rookie Prince. You're right about Orlando, but I don't know how well G.Hill will be and they don't have any big men with offensive or defenisive presence.

Honestly is Rip/Billups any better than Rip/Alexander?

I think they did so well last year due to being one

of the most healthy teams in the east.Not to mention

Bucks/Hawks/Magic/Washington is all going to be

better...I think Detroit barely beating the Raptors

showed the true value of that team.I don't think

they are really that good of a team.They have no

go-to scorer now.Rip is not a go-to player.

• Premium Member

This is true. Detroit benefited from good health and good coaching. BUT, they messed up. Billups is good but he's not a better fit than the guy they had before (Atkins). Stackhouse for Rip was a bit of a mistake too. Detroit has gotten Younger but they have gotten rid of all of their clutch scoring. UNLESS Tayshun Prince is the man that I thought he would be 2 yrs from now, they will be happy to make the playoffs.

My top 8 teams in the East look like this:

1. Indy. Too Much talent. I think the best part of their talent is Brad Miller. He gets no credit but he's a 16 ppg C. 8 rpg with Indy this yr. Add that to Harrington coming back and you got a squad that has a lot of depth and talent. But Brad Miller and Reggie Miller are the two players that makes the chemistry work.

2. New Jersey Drive. Too Much defense. Offense will struggle abit...But we should see the rise of Richard Jefferson.

3. Washington. Jordan has a lot of talented player and they say Jordan's coming back in better shape. Add Stackhouse to that and you have an almost unstoppable combination. Their Frontcourt is filled with Good players. Collins is a good enough coach to do something with this team.

4. Charlotte. This is a Chemistry project through and through. Some would say they are the best in the east. Well, when Healthy they are really good at every position. With the addition of Alexander and the fan support they should get, they might muster up a lot of vics.

5. Orlando. The return of Hill. You guys forgot that Hill was the leader of triple doubles when Kidd was playing? If Kidd can make such a big impact in Jersey, what do you think Hill will do in Orlando?

6. Milwaukee. Yep. Milwaukee is going to make it this yr (if they stay healthy). Aside from selfishness and bad coaching I think another thing that hurt them was injuries. We'll see if Karl can earn his money.

7. US. We have a really good team. We don't have much perimeter shooting. However, defensively we have to make a stand.

8. Boston. By the skin of their teeth. Everybody's talking big about Boston. Again, they were saved by good health. Other than the big two, they have nothing. Baker will give them size but he doesn't fit chemistry wise.

So the question... Could we beat NJ in a best of 5? How about Washington in a best of 7? How about Orlando in a best of 7? How about the Kings in a Best of 7?

That's the road we may face!!

Come on Diesel Indiana has a taleted team but I don't think they will jump from barely making the playoffs to being the 1 seed in the east. I wouldn't put the wizards that high although I think they will make the playoffs. Jordan will miss some games this year and they are weak at the PG and Center postion, and lastly don't make me laugh about puttting the Bucks ahead of us. You probably think the Bucks got the better of the deal by getting Kukoc.

The Bucks have enough talent to beat us out

but with all the assisant coaches leaving(including

good friend Terry Stotts)you have to wonder

what is up with them....The problem is George

Karl.Not only is he a big mouth,but he's not as

good of a coach as he used to be anyway.

• Premium Member

In reply to:

Jordan will miss some games this year and they are weak at the PG and Center postion

IF Jordan is as healthy as they claim he is then Washington will make the Playoffs probably as the third seed... Maybe higher.

With Jordan being healthy, he can rely on Stack to be the 1st option and play a role we're not accustomed to seeing Jordan play.... 2nd option. Think about it, Stack scores in bunches. Jordan scores when he wants to. As far as being weak at C? What? Brenden Heywood will be good enough. White is good. Washington has a lock on all the top young PFs and Cs in the league. Heywood, White, Brown, Jeffries, Thomas.... All these guys are tough and when you put them together you have a good young rotation.

The table is almost set for a Washington-LAL finals... I agree, Washington needs a better PG. I doubt the Hughes project can work... But if Collins can get halfway good play out of hughes and Lue.... Watchout.

In reply to:

and lastly don't make me laugh about puttting the Bucks ahead of us.

The Bucks are no laughing matter. Just because they didn't make the playoffs last yr don't mean that they stop being a very talented team? They had internal difficulties and health issues. Similar to us. However, if they remain healthy, they have a damn good team. Moreover, the trade was good for them. Not that getting Toni will make them better, but getting rid of Big Dog helps end some of that internal strife that they had. Similar to the QB controversy in football, the controversy between Big Dog and Thomas was killing them. IN the end they all quit. However, now Thomas has the position all to themselves. They also got a very talented PF called Haslip that might turn a whole lot of heads before it's all said and done. Now, Go down the line with me.

Theo > Gadzurich

SAR > Mason

Big Dog slightly > Thomas

Ray Allen >>> Ira

Cassell > JT.

Their Bench > our Bench.

Their Coach More Proven than our Coach.

Finally... INdy. YOu can't find weakness anywhere on that team. From the starters to the Bench they are solid. More solid than even Charlotte. Last yr they started out being young at PG and being weak at C. Now, with Oneal playing PF and Miller playing C and Harrington playing Full Time... They have a very strong frontcourt. With Tinsley being a yr older, they have an equally strong backcourt. With Artest, Strickland, Mercer, Jones, Brewer, Croshere, and Foster off the bench they have some much good usable depth that they will be very very hard to beat.

• Premium Member

I think that the main problem is that Karl traded Big Dog or atleast asked for him to be traded. Everybody knows that Big Dog was better than Thomas. However, Karl really liked Thomas and choose him over big Dog. Stotts was not the only person in Milwaukee who didn't like that trade... Cassell hated it too. In fact, Cassell is on the blocks now too... I really wonder if Seattle would go for Cassell/Mason for GP? It would really help Both teams ...Especially if Haslip is ready.

DJ is my favorite Hawk to watch. I still think he'll be an allstar in a few years but I honestly feel we'll be just as good this year without him. To me Ira brings the intangibles to the court that a team with three 20 point scorers needs. He'll defer to the stars and show them how to hustle on both ends of the court. Also without DJ, Dion hopefully will get the minutes he needs to straighten his game out. Then in the next few years if we can keep this team together it'll continue to improve or if needed we can trade one of our big three as the others step forward.

I think we may surprise into the playoffs with a top 4 type seeding but then we'll find out if our defense will hurt us or whether we'll step up and have what it takes. I see weaknesses on most East teams other than:

1. NJ

2. NO

3. Indiana

4. Atlanta

But I'm not that sure about Indiana's young players ever coming together and I hope Grant Hill and Jordan both come back so my final prediction is:

3. Atlanta

4. Orlando

5. Indiana

6. Wash

7. Boston

8. Milwaukee

I think NY will be close but Detroit falls way outta it. Either way I cant wait.

I agree with you somewhat on the chemisrty, but don't forget Dimes, these guys (including Robinson) have been getting together informally over the summer. I think that will go a long way toward the chemisrty when the games start to count, but obviously there will be the inevitable kinks to work out. I won't be surprised if the going is slow at first and some early losses rack up, but I won't be surprised either if the Hawks come out firing on all cylinders. As for your rankings, IMO, New Orleans is too high but not by much, ditto Detroit. The Magic could move way up if Hill plays half the season or better, and for some reason, I'm still just not convinced that NJ is for real, I think Deek will hurt more than help, but that's just a hunch, nothing more.

• Admin

Boston has no point guard at all. Even with their big 2 they will have a lot of troubles if they do not aquire one. Shammod Williams is definietly not the answer. They might not even make it to the playoffs.

Detroit is hard to predict. They upgraded at PG but they lost their go to clutch performer. IT will be interesting to see how Rip plays where he is on a team where he is the man. They might be hard pressed to make it to the playoffs too. However, this team are a bunch of grinders and through the hard work and defence they might be able to grab some more Ws.

any excuses for having the hawks a bit higher with my heart rather than my head...

1)New Jersey Nets

2)New Orleans Hornets

3)Atlanta Hawks

4)Detroit Pistons

5)Philadelphia 76'ers

6)Orlando Magic

7)Indiana Pacers

8)Washington Wizards

The Nets have to still be the team to beat... picking up rogers was a major major coup as important as Mt M IMO...

If the Hornets played as well as they did in a cavern with 500 fans, how fired up will they be down in NO?

Hawks... what can I say, I'm a homer...

The Pistons... on the surface the hamilton stackhouse trade looks weird to me, but who can question carlisle's coaching job last year or the incredible work that dumars has done in turning other peoples trash to treasure? (barry and c williamson)...

76'ers... Brown might just decide to do a masterful coaching job this year... why do I get the feeling if anyone can turn van horn into a winner it will be this guy?

Magic... Mcgrady alone should help compensate for the center problems...

Indiana... has Diesel's words affected my brain?

Washington... I should probably have them higher but who knows if Jordan remains healthy... if he does bump them up 3-4 notches...

Do you actually think that the Wizards can go the finals? The Finals? You are out of your mind? "I think my daddy, excuse me, my Diesel has gone crazy." -Eminem-

Larry Hughes or Tyrone Lue at the point? Can you say trashcan compatable. Garbage! And there Center position is all jacked up. Don't get me wron, Haywood should be a descent starting center in the years to come. But hear my words.. YEARS TO COME. I am a huge Michael Jordan fan, and I still don't think he can stay healthy for 70 games. i think if the Wizards get 60 games out of him, they should be satified. The Wizards should make the playoffs, but don't count on them making it to the 2nd round, especially with the horrible shooting that Stackhouse and Hughes bring. Ouch!

From all accounts, they fell in love with Haslim this summer as he surprised them with his outside shot (combined with his already known athleticism)...I think that helped them decide to trade Robinson. The main factor has already been mentioned, that being Thomas, his contract, and his "all-round game"

I'm sure they also wanted to hand the team over to Ray, saying hey, it's your team now. The pecking order there has been established....

• Premium Member

IF Jordan is healthy, what will stop them from going?

The thing you must understand my young friend is that when there is parity in the division, anybody can win. And that's what there is in the East. I know you're use to West Coast play where I can tell you today what 8 teams will make it to the playoffs.

Kings, Lakers, Mavericks, Spurs, Blazers, Jazz, Clipps, and Sonics.

Why even play the games in the West? Well, that last spot will be close? Sonics vs. Grizzlies vs. Rockets vs. Timberwolves.

That's not because of parity thats because one of those teams will make a move that will make them better.

However, in the east, It's not even a guarantee for a playoff spot. NJ hadn't made the playoffs until last yr. There have been 3 different ECF competitors in the last 3 yrs. You know what that really means is that it's not the same teams getting to the ECF.

PARITY.

This yrs ECF could easily be the Wizards vs. The Hawks. or it could be NJ vs. Boston. However, no one knows or is sure. However, in the West, I'm thinking Lakers Kings? or Lakers Mavericks or Kings Mavericks... What about you?

• Premium Member

Detroit will depend on 2 things.

Can Tayshun Prince or Rodney White or Big Nasty step up and be a big time scorer. Will Barry be able to play at a high level. I think Rip is not really the concern of Detroit it's who will score with Rip.

I like Billups but he's a bad fit for this team.

Rodney White was traded to the Denver Nuggets

for that Chinese dude.That dude is one mean a**

looking dude....forgot what his name is.

The reason they play games in the west is because

they are about twice as entertaining as EC 66-65

games and teams like the heat and bulls that can't

even average 90PPG.