• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

childress' ceiling is his shot.....

flava

Childress's shot is interesting to watch...I knew a guy a few years back who could shoot 40% from the centerline with that 2 handed push shot. I used to use it in my backyard too...you can get excellent bacskspin and touch on it.

My favorite move (when properly positioned at the top of the key) was the "no-look shot"...faking a pass and shooting without even looking at the basket. Of course if anybody guards a "push shooter" it's an easy block.

i'm not saying childress doesn't play D and grab boards...

i'm not saying childress doesn't take smart shots...

i'm not saying childress isn't an articulate, bright young man...

i'm not saying childress won't be an asset to this team...

what i'm saying is that as the #6 pick in the draft (taken ahead of deng and iggy), childress has a fundamental flaw that will limit how much overall success he can have (a two guard is supposed to be able to get a shot off in traffic). this is a flaw that should have been identified early (it isn't that hard to figure out) as it has a finite impact - i frequently see chillz forced to pass on shots that if he could hit, would help the team avoid poorer shots or shot clock violations....

flava

• Moderators

I can't believe people on this thread as saying Childress's form is the same as Reggie Miller's. I like Chill but give me a break - Reggie never looked that ugly shooting the ball even if his form wasn't textbook.

• Premium Member

Childress is uncomfortable when he shoots because there is a great deal of pressure on him. First of all, everybody makes such a big deal over his shooting form and low % on J's. So everytime he pulls up, he probably feels like the world is keyed in on him. He is our first real lottery pick (other than JT/DJ) in I don't know how long. He doesn't want to be shown up by Iggy and Deng (does anyone want to be known as a draft bust?) He's expected come out and improve on his numbers from the end of last season. BK has ripped him over his poor play... I'm sure all of that goes into his shot as he rises...in addition to his mechanics.

Yet, people get confused into thinking that a good SG has to have a great shot. AGAIN...there are many different types of SGs. You've got guys like JRich and Wade who are better at penetration. You've got guys like Rip and Reggie who excel at running around without the ball, coming off of screens and maybe pulling up. Shooting guards are expected to do one thing above all ellse - SCORE. A shot is a shot, whether it's from 3 feet or 30 feet out.

That being said, Chill's ceiling will have much to do with how regular he can get his shot to fall. I think that much is true with any SG/SF. They need that midrange/off the dribble/spot up shot to keep their man close when they put the ball on the floor (and to get the defese to respect them).

More importantly to Chill's development, above all else, are three things:

A) He has to stay aggressive. When Chill plays aggressively, you see the difference. But, he is simply too much of a team player right now and he has been placed in a role that does nothing to change that. He will defer to ANYONE on the court at any given moment. You can't score if you aren't taking shots, and he has taken fewer shots than anyone in the regular rotation save for Marvin...and he isn't ahead of him by that much.

B) Chilldress needs to get stronger. Many times, he makes a move to the basket...but simply can't finish. He's getting bumped on his moves and in the air. Unless he's sneaking in or wide open, it's affecting how he finishes.

C) The Hydra...multiheaded, regenerating, monster... The Hawks are similar. You've got all these swingmen that it is blurring the roles of who's on the court firt of all, and it's taking away minutes from guys who need to get in. The Lakers moved Eddie Jones so that Kobe could come into his own. The Blazers had no place for JO. TMac exploded once he got out from under Vince's shadow. There are simply too many guys, with too much to prove and too much to learn, playing the same positions.

I have no idea how Chilldress will fare 5 years from now. I will say this though. If he gets that shot to fall regularly, gets stronger, and (above all) plays aggressively, he will be a force to be reckoned with. If he continues to defer to everyone on the court and takes 1 or 2 jumpers a game, then he will be a coulda/woulda/shoulda 6th man for the rest of his career.

Quote:

That's because some, not flava, only look at the form on his shot. They pay no attention to whether it goes in or not.

flava's point is a good one. Josh isn't the type that is going to get the ball, take one dribble to shake his man, and shoot. He's the type that will move around without the ball, slash to the basket, or position himself in the 15-18 foot range to receive the kick out pass for the open jumper.

so that means we wasted the #6 pick. We don't pick role/bench players at that 6 spot

• Premium Member

Quote:

we wasted the #6 pick. We don't pick role/bench players at that 6 spot

Here are the last 12 #6 picks:

1. Martell Webster

2. Josh Childress

3. Chris Kaman

4. Dajuan Wagner

5. Shane Battier*

6. Dermarr Johnson (debatable)

7. Wally Szczerbiak

8. Robert Traylor

9. Ron Mercer

10. Antoine Walker*

11. Bryant Reeves

12. Sharone Wright

Here's the same list for #7 picks:

1. Charlie Villanueva*

2. Luol Deng*

3. Kirk Hinrich*

4. Nene Hilario*

5. Eddie Griffin

6. Chris Mihm (debatable)

7. Richard Hamilton*

8. Jason Williams*

9. Tim Thomas*

10. Lorenzen Wright

11. Damon Stoudamire*

12. Lamond Murray*

The #7 pick has been at least as productive as the #6 pick TEN of the last twelve years. Is the #6 pick cursed?

Quote:

what i'm saying is that as the #6 pick in the draft (taken ahead of deng and iggy), childress has a fundamental flaw that will limit how much overall success he can have (a two guard is supposed to be able to get a shot off in traffic).

First of all I'm no Childress homer. I think at this point he's a good player but it's pretty clear that Iggy and Deng would have been better, especially iguodala. But back to the point, I would once again bring up Shawn Marion. Why has the awkward low release not hurt his game, yet you think it will necessarily hamper Chill? That's what I'm getting at. Marion can get his shot off in traffic, right?

Quote:

Marion can get his shot off in traffic, right?

Marion is a track athlete. He is extremely fast and strong. Childress is weak and slow.

Plus Marion plays in a wide open offense. When the pace slows down he has trouble getting shots off. He is totally dependent other players to set him up. He can't take guys one on one and get his shot off effectively.

Childress cant take anyone 1 on 1 and score with any regularity.