• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

My Once a Month Trade Proposal - January

unknownjdb

...and this has a slight catch to it.

After Marcus Banks played so well in that game for the T'wolves, I got to thinking. Minnesota has three good PGs as well as another who is a veteran. I originally wanted to wait until the off-season to go for Banks but if he continues to play well for Minnesota he may not leave. So my thought was...

ATL trades Al Harrington & Tony Delk to MIN for Marko Jaric, Trenton Hassell & Bracey Wright (TRADE ID#2880365)

I'll start out with why MIN does this trade. It's as simple as posting the proposed lineup.

Hudson | Banks | Carter

Davis | McCants | Delk

Harrington | Dupree

Garnett | Madsen

Griffin | Blount

Harrington becomes a third scoring option, something I believe he's made for. I also believe that Garnett, Davis and he would cause major problems for their opponents. The Griffin/Blount rotation is going to be solid and the Hudson/Banks rotation could be very dangerous. This also gives playtime to McCants for his growth. Goodness all around.

Why ATL does the trade.

Jaric | Lue | Stoudamire

Johnson | Hassell

Williams | Childress

Smith | Williams | Batista

Pachulia | Edwards

This doesn't solve our C issue, but it solidifies our 1, 2, 3 & possibly 4 positions. Jaric is the tall (6'7") PG BK so loves and I believe he could do very well playing beside Johnson. Hassell would be a very solid piece backing up Johnson. The addition of Wright is just to take that little extra off MIN's payroll to be able to resign Harrington and Banks (we could probably take a little more from them, regarding payroll).

If MIN isn't interested in trading Jaric, a last minute option would be Hudson. He, Lue and Stoudamire would be an interesting trio.

After this trade, I'd then see if we could package some combination of Lue or Stoudamire, Batista and/or Edwards and D.Smith and/or Ivey for a solid, GOOD backup FC. We then go for either a PF or C in the draft or possible pick one up in the off-season.

Again, this is all contengant on Banks continueing his good play (which he will) and of course BK's willingness to give up Harrington. So what's up?

I don't know, Jaric is anything but consistent and his own coach has stated he is not a point guard in the traditional sense. Seems he is similar, though much less skilled, to JJ. Also, Jaric has a pretty hefty contract for his level of play, so I am not sure that helps the team in the long run.

Banks had one good game, lets not get carried away.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Banks had one good game, lets not get carried away.

I'll keep this in mind, though I believe your statement may come back to bite you on your @$$.

I doubt it. He is another shooting guard trapped in a point guard body, no different then Delk, Lue and Salim.

At least he does have some size though, which would hopefully help us from getting murdered from whomever isn't being guarded by JJ. Thing is, and it's been mentioned in this thread already, is that Jaric seems to be another tweener guard.

Quote:

I'd like to see where you get this from. I haven't heard/read/seen one thing that would suggest this.

Just watch him play, he doesn't have the vision or court awareness that a point guard needs. There is a reason he has played ownly sporadicly for a few years.

What makes you think he is a good player other then his draft position?

Jaric is a bit slow to be running the point here. He would be an upgrade defensively, but his offense is horrible. And that contract? YIKES !! Jaric could easily become a backup on this team if we acquired a guy like Speedy Claxton. Paying a backup PG that much money is counterproductive to what we're trying to do here.

At least Hassell can knock down an open jumper and take the ball to the rim, while playing stellar defense. And Griffin can at least board and block shots, although Griffin is a lot like Smoove in the sense that he doesn't have the highest basketball IQ in the world. He is notorious for taking bad long range shots, when he should be working on his post game.

Hassell, Griffin, and a 2nd round pick for Al . . would work for us to strengthen the team overall. Then you could go out and get Speedy and/or Przy . . or address both of those needs in the draft.

G - Speedy

G - Hassell

F - JJ

F - Marvin

C - Przy

Bench:

G - Lue

G - Salim

F - Chill

F - Smoove

F - Griffin

F/C - ZaZa

2006 1st round draft pick

Quote:

What makes you think he is a good player other then his draft position?

Actually, sad but true, I don't even know where he was drafted. I just know that what I've seen of him and what I've read about him tells me that he's going to be a really good player. I feel that he and Hudson would be a very strong combination for MIN and the addition of Harrington would be HUGE for their chances not only to get to the Playoffs but even compete in them. That's basically why I think MIN does the proposed trade if offered.

Quote:

Jaric is a bit slow to be running the point here. He would be an upgrade defensively, but his offense is horrible. And that contract? YIKES !!

Well, you could basically say that Jaric is an upgraded Ivey. I wouldn't say Jaric's offense is horrible, it's decent enough to start and it got him that contract. Speaking of contract, it's a PG getting paid less currently then what we are paying Harrington. I don't see it as being too terrible.

Quote:

Hassell, Griffin, and a 2nd round pick for Al . . would work for us to strengthen the team overall.

It may be good for us (I'd love it), but do you really see MIN giving up Griffin the way he's playing. That plus the only C they have after him is Blount. The reason I brought this trade proposal up is because they now have a surplus of PGs and SGs.

Jaric, Hassell and scraps for Harrington and Delk just makes sense for both teams.