• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Deals that could hurt Atlanta

exodus

Some of the rumored deals could definitely hurt Atlanta in free agency.

If the Blazers trade Theo to NY for Penny then they will certainly resign Prz, so that is one center off the market.

If Denver trades Nene to anyone that team obviously wants Nene and will match any offer.

If Denver trades Martin then they are more likely to resign Nene.

The chances of filling the hole at C are looking dimmer. Of course it would help if BK did something besides sitting on his hands.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to posts I have read at a Portland fan website, the Blazers will still only be able to offer Pryz a MLE contract after the proposed Theo/Patterson for Penny trade. The Blazers will still need to dump more salary to offer Pryz more than the MLE. If this is true then we could offer Pryz more $$$ than Portland in free agency. I guess Pryz might have to decide if big money or an overriding desire to remain in Portland is the deciding factor in where he signs.

If they dump Theo and Patterson, who do they have left making any real coin - other then Randolph and Miles? Randolph has a max contract and Miles has a large one, but otherwise isn't their roster entirely made up of young players:

Outlaw, Telfair, Blake, Jack, Monia, Kryapa, Webster, etc.

Here is one of the posts I am referring to from realgm and the poster's name is the sebastian express:

am going to clear this up, once and for all.

(this is in a Theo/Ruben for Penny/Lee scenario. It also really works for any expiring salary contract around 16 million.)

We would be sending out 18,019,866 million in salary.

We would be taking back 16,661,360 in salary, 15,750,000 of that is in expiring deal.

After Penny's deal expired, and we add all the salaries together for next year (including Sergei Monia's 1 million, which isn't counted on hoopshype, plus the 30th pick in the draft, and David's Lee salary) we would have 45,218,485 million in salary.

About 4.8 million insalary, right? Wrong.

Without Theo and Ruben's defensive presence, and leadership (Theo), we would be assured a top five pick. That can add anywhere from 3.6-2.3 million.

If we got the first pick, we would have a salary of 48,835,585 million.

If we got the fifth pick, we would have a salary of 47,591,285 million.

Which is 3.8 to 2.5 less than we could offer with the MLE.

So we would have to offer Joel the MLE anyways, and if he left we would have Ha, the rookie, or some third rate center starting for us.

Oh, and this would be our lineup for the rest of the season.

Blake/Telfair/Jack

Dixon/Jack/Webster/Smith

Miles/Khryapa/Outlaw/Penny

Zach/Lee

Joel/Ha

That isn't a winning lineup. Oh, and until Miles gets back, it would be even worse. Our backup center would be Ha. Ha people. Good for entertaintment, not good for winning at this point. If Joel suffers an injury, we'd be done. He can't handle 44+ minutes a night. Nor can Zach play center for a long period of time.

Despite Theo's few mistakes in the last plays a couple of games, he has been playing great for us. He also provides stability in the lockerroom.

(Just for kicks sake, we'll say we got the 8th pick. The 8th pick makes 2,162,880 in their first year. 45,218,485 million plus 1,802,400 equals 47,020,885 million. 50,000,000 minus 47,020,885 million equals 2,979,115 million. Which is 2.1 million less than we could offer with the MLE.)

(The MLE figure I am using is from the one used for the 2005-2006 season, as stated in Larry Coon's breaking down of the CBA, as well as the starting salary for Shareef Abdur-Rahim, who signed a full MLE contract this off-season for the Kings.)

(This post is in no way to be insulting to my fellow Blazer fans, but I am sick and tired of fans of other teams coming in and telling us that trading Theo and Ruben will get us enough cap room to offer a significant amount more than the MLE.)

I don't think Joel Przybilla is interested in coming to Atlanta anyway. BK said in one of his meeting with the season ticket holders that resigning Joel was something he definitely wanted to do before last season, but circumstances prevented that from happening. It was speculated by those at the meeting that Joel told Billy that he wouldn't sign a deal to play in Atlanta, period.

As I said with Jackie Butler, I don't see Billy Knight as the type that will forgive and forget. Even if Joel showed some interest this offseason, Billy would probably ignore him out of spite.

Quote:

Even if Joel showed some interest this offseason, Billy would probably ignore him out of spite.

That is ridiculous. Apparently Joel was upset that BK fired Stotts, and that is why Joel didn't resign here 2 years ago.

If BK has the chance to sign him this year he won't pass on him just out of spite.

That is why they are trying to dump Theo's contract which is the following:

(this season)$11,666,666 $11,666,666 $11,666,666

Portland will be stuck with Ruben Patterson, because he will most likely accept his player option, but the chance of trading him to a contender goes up during the off season.

Derek Anderson also needs to go, but most likely won't have any takers for him until around the trade deadline. Portland is already over the cap, so it's not like they are going to allow Joel to slip out of their hands over one year of Derek/Ruben.

As I said before, I don't feel it is appropriate to discuss the "circumstances" surrounding why Joel was not offered a contract. I don't think doing so would be fair to Joel or to BK. Accept what I'm telling you or not because it really doesn't matter in the big scheme of things.

That said, Joel did NOT tell BK that he didn't want to play here, BK CHOSE not to offer him a deal. As I have posted before, NO other team offered him a guaranteed deal other than Portland.

In addition, for the 3rd time, Joel not resigning had NOTHING to do with Stotts. If Joel was upset when Stotts was fired, I'm sure he was not the only player who was. That said, Joel WAS NEVER OFFERED A CONTRACT. He never said he wouldn't play here. In fact, I got the impression from BK that he WANTED to resign with us but BK CHOSE not to offer him a deal.