• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Few thoughts about the dunk contest

cyman3

1) i feel that all the participants dont give it their "ALL" due to their fear of losing points if they dont make it on their first try. therefore, the NBA should find a way to eliminate this. maybe have 3 dunks in the first round, and ur top 2 dunks count? i donno... something to nullify it and give more to the FANS.

2) Nate Robinson, while he did have to work for it... the crowd + judges were definitely on his side (no doubt about it). IMO, nobody who takes that many dunks, should win the title. however, to his defense- he overdid it. he tried extremely difficult dunks. as for the judges just giving it to him, the contest is for the FANS. its to please the fans. all allstar events are for the fans. at the end of the day, i dont think RAY ALLEN is at home crying cuz he lost the 3 pt contest. its not that big of a deal. its just for fun.

3) Today was a good example of why superstars like LEBRON JAMES do not enter the dunk contest. He has nothing to gain (he'll be expected to win) and everything to lose. not to mention, its not that great of a honor these days.

That being said, i dont blame him for not entering the contest.

4) The dunk contest is usually the highlight of the 4 events. but now-a-days, its pretty weak. i think the other events (shootout, 3pt, skills challenge) is now at the same level as the dunk contest. while im not askin it to be omitted from future ALLSTARS... i dont think it's the same anymore. but as long as the fans like it, they should keep it.

just my 2 cents

this dunk contest was complete crap and here are my thoughts:

-first of all, I was under the impression that you get penalized for missed attempts. No set rules, but the more tries it takes, the more points you lose. But clearly with Robinson that was not the case. Last year Chris Anderson takes 8 tries, he is the laughing stock of the league and gets a horrible score despit the dunk being nice in the end. This year robinson takes a combined 50 attempts on 2 dunks (or so it seemed), and is the dunk champion. That's bullsh!t I don't care how small you are.

-secondly, how is it possible for smoove to get a 41 on his first attempt? His foot was on the free throw line like most in the past, and he managed a 2 handed free throw dunk which is unbelievable. That is at least an automatic 45 if not higher. Instead he gets 41 and by the time it gets back to him he's eliminated. That was disgusting after the inflated scores before him. yes he put the tape down and didn't deliver (what was that about), but that's not as bad as missing a bunch of dunks. He still made it on his first try

-third, iggy got robbed in the finals. They gave nate waaaaay too much credit just for being short. Crazy.

The NBA should fix this all by doing the following:

-on each dunk you get a max of 4 attempts, if you don't make it in 4, it's 0 points for you. If you missed 3 times, do a lesser dunk that you can make

-it should be clear that with missed dunks, your score goes down. You can't get a 50 if you took multiple attempts

-let the judges give scores in increments of 0.1. Not every very good dunk has to be a 10 because it's better than the good dunk that you gave a 9. If you want to give a 9.5, give it a 9.5

They said before the contest started that you don't get penalized for missed dunks. However, there should be a limit on attempts. Like say you get three attempts and your done. If you miss the first two and make the third you shouldn't be penalized, but if you miss all three you get nothin.

You should have known going into this that if nobody was hands down better then Nate, he was going to win. AI probably should have got higher scores but this was Nate compition to lose. I for one was pretty impressed with Nates jumping ability and stanima. The only negative was all the misses, but again as they stated before the compition, judges are not to penalize for missed dunks. I would say his performance tops Spuds from 1986.

Quote:

robbery9ie.gif

Hm, here's what ESPN has to say about Nate:

"New York Knicks guard Nate Robinson flies over former Atlanta Braves guard Spud Webb during the NBA slam dunk..."

I never knew Spud was a multi-sport Deion sort of guy!

• Premium Member

The reason why the other four events are better than the slam dunk contest is simple. NO Subjection. You take out the human element. In those other events either you hit the shots or you don't. Either you make the passes and run the race in a good time or you don't.

i think I have a new way to do the Slam Dunk contest...

They should play HORSE...

Each player makes up a dunk and if the other guys can't do it in three tries they are eliminated.

Becuase I wondered...

Can Smoove do that dunk that Iguodala did with Ai?

Can Iguodala jump over Spud?

Now, if Smoove would have jumped over Spud for a dunk, he wouldn't have gotten many points. IN fact, I think he may have gotten Booed. But nate did it and he's the best thing since sliced bread...

Subjective.

Quote:

They should play HORSE...

if you are serious, that's an absolutely horrible idea. It's like that dumb wheel all over again, where they pull up a classic dunk and have the player do it. Different dunkers have different bodies and different skills. Let them do what there body is suitable for

I do think that Kenny Smith should be banned from judging, and judges shouldn't be able to talk to each other before they give a score.