• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Word from the D.A. AI is on the blocks?

Diesel

• Premium Member

Watching the NBA allstar weekend was pretty entertaining. One thing that wasn't so entertaining was seeing D.A. as a Lynn Swann type. DA used to be an in studio expert. He lost his job to guys who float rumors some of which are made up (Bucher). I miss DA in the studio because he had integrity to the lost art of Journalism.

Well, he floated one rumor... AI on the blocks. Will Philly make a move with AI? I thought AI was having a very good year.

The reason I brought this here is:

Would Atlanta be interested?

AI + JJ??

He would definitely increase our defense and our seat totals.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree and miss DA in the studio. When he gave you NBA news there was some substance behind it. Now a days, all the these guys do is give you about 20 trade scenario's about each player and when a move is made they take the credit for being the first to report it.

they confirmed during all-star weekend that philly ownership had ANOTHER meeting with AI just to make sure he understood that the trade rumors are BS and he's going nowhere. They asked AI, he confirmed the meeting and said that he took them at their word and wouldn't be going anywhere

So no

The USA Today has a similar rumor in today's paper also. They mentioned AI along with Garnett being two franchise names that could possibly be on the block, however little it may be.

I'd personally love to see an AI + JJ backcourt. Could you imagine the problems that Iverson would cause driving to the hole and creating open shots for the rest of the guys?

Totally O.T. but it was a reference to AI. Did anyone catch the comment made during the dunk contest about using Iverson as a spotter for Iguodala? I forget who it was, but one of the TNT guys said, "Why would you use AI as a spotter. He's gonna shoot the ball as soon as he gets it". lol.

Quote:

If the trade was Al, JC, Lue, 1st for AI...

would you be interested.

Ai, JJ, Marvin, Smoove, Zaza...

AI = 33.2 ppg, 7.4 apg.

Absolutely. Even though AI isn't a pg, he is a threat on both the offensive and defensive side of the ball that teams plan against. I can live with that in place of Al.

Getting AI to man the point for the next few years would lock up both guard positions for that stretch, making JC and Lue expendable.

And that 1st round pick... Set it back for 07 or 08 so we can draft a guard this year or next year for depth.

• Premium Member

I see Philly making a move towards the future. What they get from us is:

an ending contract (Al) and actually, you could probably put Delk in place of Lue... Plus Chillz. I think Chillz is a strong player at the Sf position. AND a high 1st rounder. The first rounder is something that is a bit shaky because of our future deals. Because of that, this deal couldn't be done ....

However, it's interesting.

so you just left that part out? lol

you call a meeting because he is your franchise player, the heart of your team and city, and if you're not trading him, you want to make sure that he knows it, that he can trust you, and that he stays happy. AI is an emotional guy and you don't want him worrying about that stuff.

AI will go nowhere

Quote:

I see Philly making a move towards the future. What they get from us is:

an ending contract (Al) and actually, you could probably put Delk in place of Lue... Plus Chillz. I think Chillz is a strong player at the Sf position. AND a high 1st rounder. The first rounder is something that is a bit shaky because of our future deals. Because of that, this deal couldn't be done ....

However, it's interesting.

Was just about to say... With Iguodala currently at the 3 and CWebb currently at the 4, where do Chillz and Al play? Or would Philly really only be interested in freeing cap space by trading for Al?

Quote:

AI dosen't make others around him better and if he comes to Atl than don't expect a lot of shots for Marvin and Smoove.

What's your reasoning?

I think AI makes others around him better because of the way he either draws a double team or puts up a lot of points. Even when he gets doubled, he still gets his (33.2 this year) in less shots and with better accuracy than Kobe (1344,44.3% / 1253,44.7%). And assuming that Marvin and Smoove progress the way they're being groomed (more low post than jump shooting), that should work out just fine. I think adding AI would give them more quality looks.

Quote:

AI dosen't make others around him better and if he comes to Atl than don't expect a lot of shots for Marvin and Smoove.

He's gotten much, much, MUCH better in that regard in the past 2-3 years. I just wouldn't want him because of his age and the nature of his game. 3 years ago I would have

• Premium Member

Philly is not much better than the Hawks with AI. So Why do you think that AI without a defensive presence in S. Dalembert, Chris Webber, & Igodola would help us win more games? Is philly playing .500 with AI? I don't get it! And isn't AI toward the end of his career? So no I would not trade for AI!

First of all, like I said, I wouldn't trade for him now either.

But at the same time, it's not like we have the same record as Philly. If the season ends today, they're in the playoffs, and we have the 3rd most ping pong balls. Last year they were in the playoffs. The year before they were in the playoffs. Etc, etc, etc... So it's not like AI hasn't done anything. He almost instantly makes you a playoff team and got an MVP and a finals appearance along the way.

So no I wouldn't do it now because we are rebuilding and he is probably about to decline, but he is still a hell of a player, and he gets wins.

• Moderators

Quote:

Watching the NBA allstar weekend was pretty entertaining. One thing that wasn't so entertaining was seeing D.A. as a Lynn Swann type. DA used to be an in studio expert. He lost his job to guys who float rumors some of which are made up (Bucher). I miss DA in the studio because he had integrity to the lost art of Journalism.

I just wanted to second this statement. It was a travesty when they let DA go. That man was class and was a calibre journalist. He has been missed more than I've enjoyed the shouting "reporters" who replaced him.

• Premium Member

Quote:

But at the same time, it's not like we have the same record as Philly. If the season ends today, they're in the playoffs, and we have the 3rd most ping pong balls. Last year they were in the playoffs.

They do have Webber & Dalembert in the front court. A real center and a real power forward right? and we have Al & Zaza and nothing off the bench. We are the youngest team in the league right? Having said that, I think that we would be competitive in a 7 game series with right now! Next year if we get any kind of defensive upfront and with more experience from our young guys, I would give the Hawks the edge in a series.