• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

quietly, JJ is...

flava

• Premium Member

Quote:

don't want to see Joe Johnson be made into a traditional shooting guard.

What JJ showed tonight is that he has some Kobe, Tmac in his game. It wasn't his passing or ball handling that made him the man. it was the fact that he took over the game and scored 40 that made him the man.

Notice also that Tmac or Kobe or Vince can take the team and become essentially PGs who score for their team but the question is does that make them better or worse. I think it takes away from their ability. I believe the same is true of JJ. If we try to make him a PG, he will not be as potent as when he is a pure SG.

Quote:

Quote:

don't want to see Joe Johnson be made into a traditional shooting guard.

What JJ showed tonight is that he has some Kobe, Tmac in his game. It wasn't his passing or ball handling that made him the man. it was the fact that he took over the game and scored 40 that made him the man.

Notice also that Tmac or Kobe or Vince can take the team and become essentially PGs who score for their team but the question is does that make them better or worse. I think it takes away from their ability. I believe the same is true of JJ. If we try to make him a PG, he will not be as potent as when he is a pure SG.

I don't want to see JJ cast into the Kobe (and somewhat Vince) mold of a SG either. To me, these guys definitely make buckets but they HAVE to be the focal point of the offense at some point during the possession - bringing the ball up or taking the actual shot - to be at their best. Granted, if JJ does turn into a pure scoring machine I'd be fine with that. What I'd rather see is JJ become more of a a team guy versus a superstar + roleplayers guy.

Quote:

What I'd rather see is JJ become more of a a team guy versus a superstar + roleplayers guy.

JJ assist totals and average continues to increase, so he's making a concerted effort to share the ball and getting the guys easy buckets (which some assist can be contributed to guys just finishing better, earlier in the year a lot of good passes were not convert into points); however, when push comes to shove and the team needs some scoring, it's good to know that JJ can carry the load, and the way the Hawks defend, more times than not they will need some offensive fire power to stay in the game. Besides, the guy is being paid big money, so he's doing exactly what he's suppose to do. Which is whatever it takes.

Snow is a poor version of Ron Harper, and the Hawsks need a Ron Harper. Harper was a perfect compliment for Jordan and JJ could use a similar guy to compliment him. That is, a guy that handles the ball, plays defense, can knock down a three, and if needed drive. I don't know who fits the bill that is out there right now, maybe A Miller? I always thought Banks would be good with the Hawks. But other than them, I don't know who would fit the bill.

Whom ever we get as our other guard, he won't be that effectivev until we cure our woes in the middle. More beef is needed there.

Anyone know where that power forward for Texas is supposed to go in the draft? The few times I've caught Texas, I was more impressed with him than Aldridge in terms of physical play and rebounding. That guy would be a good 2nd round pick as I don't think his offense is all that great, but he's definately a strong rebounder and can box people out (a skill the Hawks don't seem to have).

Quote:

JJ is like a modern day Oscar Robertson. He can score, but he is terrific at getting his teammates involved. His scoring comes within the offense, not outside of the offense.

I was thinking of the same comparison but didn't want to sound crazy. Just to set the record straight, KB said it first but I definitely second it! How about a less athletic but what looks to be a more cerebral LeBron for a more modern comparison? I'd actually rather have someone that doesn't rely solely on athleticism because that can become a crutch when the player thinks sheer talent without enough drive can make you a superstar.

Quote:

Diaw was never allowed to play like he is allowed to play in Phoenix.

So what other team would he be allowed to play like he does in Phoenix?

Quote:

Diaw probably would have been our starting PG this year

Diaw is no more of a pg than Josh Smith. He was terrible at the point.

The reason he is doing well in Phoenix is his defense. He is able to guard bigger players effectively.

They have him playing the 4 or 5 there, and since he can guard the position it causes matchup problems on the other end. He can easily drive past these bigger players. When the defense collapses he kicks it out to a shooter or throws it up to Matrix around the rim.

if he is playing the 1-3 spots he can't drive as effectively because he is going against quicker players. And we have already seen what happens when he has to shoot jump shots.

If Diaw was here he wouldn't be doing anything. There is no way the Hawks would be playing him at the 4 or 5.

• Admin

shooot, forget that. I want to see him become a star. Anyone who thinks that those superstars are somehow hurting their teams is crazy. They do what they do because they have to. They also get more respect from opposing defenses and the refs than ANY plain old "good team player". There is only one elite team in the league right now that is not a superstar + a bunch of role players.

Quote:

bullcrap

we made every effort to integrate Diaw into this team, but he simply stopped trying after awhile

Meanwhile, Steve Nash has made a quite different team look equally good this year, with such premiere players as Diaw and Raja Bell

lol

Puleaze! Diaw looked great under Stotts and now looks great in Pheonix. The ONLY coach he hasn't looked great under was Woodson. Diaw wasn't some lower league international player. He was a top league player, one who played in the same league as Parker. Yet, he won an award there as a rookie. That's 3 of 4 top professional places he excelled at since the age of 19-20.

Woddson dogged him for whatever reason. Yes, Diaw wasn't a shoot-first player, but it was precisely his unique skill-set aside from that making him such a prospect his 1st year and very good player this year.

W