• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

How do we make Marvin more aggressive?

tmac13

This is not a bash Marvin post..After watching Marvin this year with the Hawks, and seeing him several games last year at North Carolina it has become clear that Marvin is not a player that naturally has the "goto guy" personality..He has a very smooth game in almost all areas, he is however, a fairly timid player..I don't think this a teachable quality..Some guys have it, some guys don't..Marvin is a guy that wants to be a team player, and just simply blends in on the court..Guys that become stars have to be aggressive and most of the time a little shelfish..People like Carmelo Anthony or Lebron demand the ball, they demand the responsibility of making their teams win or lose..Marvin is almost too polite to ever do that..Can he ever be a star with this approach?

We can't make him more aggressive. Either he develops that type of drive or he doesn't. The reason Jordan was the greatest was not just his skill and athletic ability, it was equally related to his drive to be the best. Time will tell whether Marvin can utilize his enormous talents to become a good/great player.

how about we allow him to develop as a player before we start crying about a "mean streak". I think he's plenty aggressive. Maybe the fact that he doesnt lower is head and charge into the lane means he is SMART and understands what he can do and cant do. good grief. And lets not compare him to lebron on carmelo. That isnt fair. Being a number 2 pick in the draft doesnt always mean immediate impact, ask darko. Right now I just want him to finish the season healthy, maybe work on a few things, and gain upper body strength because thats what he desperately needs.

I think Marvin will become more aggressive as his skills develop. Right now his 1 on 1 skills are pretty limited.

His favorite play is the simple catch and shoot. His other option is to drive all the way to the basket, and he has trouble finishing in traffic. His best plan offensively frequently seems to be getting to the foul line.

He has shown no in between game and no post game. If he develops those and gets stronger I think he will be more aggressive.

Smith is just the opposit. He is already aggressive, many times too aggressive. He just doesn't have the skills to fully take advantage of his mentality.

For instance he hasn't been shooting 3s all year, but recently he has made big 3s at the end of 3 tight games. That really shows that he isn't afraid to take big shots.

He has also shown that he is willing to work hard to improve his game. Let's just hope Smith's mentality rubs off on Marvin.

Quote:

I don't think he is aggressive at all..Getting to the foul line is an important part of any scorers game..I think comparing him to Carmelo is completely fair..They are both 3's with one year of college..

oh please, thats such a cheap shot.

1992: alonzo mourning, 2nd pick, center, 4 years of school

1993: shawn bradley, 2nd pick, center, 4 years of school

your logic is about as strong as mike tysons vocabulary

Quote:

Quote:

I don't think he is aggressive at all..Getting to the foul line is an important part of any scorers game..I think comparing him to Carmelo is completely fair..They are both 3's with one year of college..

oh please, thats such a cheap shot.

1992: alonzo mourning, 2nd pick, center, 4 years of school

1993: shawn bradley, 2nd pick, center, 4 years of school

your logic is about as strong as mike tysons vocabulary

burned.

I wouldnt compare him to anyone. Comparisons are for women.

Woman 1: Do you think this blouse looks good with this skirt?

Woman 2: Well, lets compare...The teal one looks good because it brings out your eyes, but the peach one matches your skin tone and skirt better...

tmac: ladies!..ladies!...youve got to wear the red one, just like mcgrady. those colors are soooooo last season.

How do "we" make Marvin more aggressive?

well, unless one of us is on the coaching staff, all "we" can do is nothing. perhaps if "we" blog at him harder, or yell more at phillips arena, other than that "we" are pretty much powerless in regards to Marvin's level of aggression.

Let's not forget this kid is still a teenager and he's a rookie in the NBA. I don't think he should be expected to become agressive and demand the ball at this infant stage of his career. Let's give him time to learn the game and become developed before we question his toughness.

• Premium Member

I think that Marvin has become more aggresive as the season has went on. He drives more and he mixes it up more in the paint. Last night, I was impressed by the way he was taking rebounds. He didn't just grab the board, many times it was like he was saying, "This is mine!" and just took the ball from anyone else who was near.

He will be fine. Give it time.

Quote:

... Last night, I was impressed by the way he was taking rebounds. He didn't just grab the board, many times it was like he was saying, "This is mine!" and just took the ball from anyone else who was near...

I totally agree. This was the spark that got everyone else involved last night. JJ didn't lead the charge. Marvin did - on the offensive glass. JJ kept us in the game long enough to make everything else matter.

Scott

I think Marvin's doing fine. He was impressive last night. He's young and seems to have a personality more like Duncan. He doesn't "Strut!!!" and I'm glad. Not my style either. If he keeps improving and playing like last night, he'll show everyone why he was drafted #2. He's quick and has some jumps. But he's got a ways to go yet.

Not related. But I am really impressed with Smoove lately. He and Marvin are going to quite a combination. Something is going right for these young guys to take off like this. Maybe I'll have to take back my comments about Woody.