• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Would this be a great offseason?

y2kenta

I was alluding to Diesel's imagining that Al is actually our post player, when he actually isn't, he is another perimeter player, he is like Sheed minus D, which is a pretty flawed player if you ask me, because you're right, Sheed takes too many perimeter shots. Diesel keeps insinuating that we are screwed if Al leaves. It is a fantasy of his that Al is an indispensable player for us.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

Wallace = 6'11"

Smoove doesn't have the size, the game, or the training to be a Pf.

The only people who want Smoove to be a PF are those who are trying to justify Marvin playing. However, Smoove is not a PF.

I really hope the cards keep rolling out the way they are and we get Larmarcus Aldridge to be our PF.

Then what? Will we bench Smoove because he's supposed to play PF or will you have that epiphany that Smoove is really a Sf??

• Premium Member

No path,

It's not about Keeping Al.

It's about having a low post scorer... period. More importantly having a real Pf with Pf skills.

Let's say for instance we traded Al for Boozer.

I don't like Boozer, however this is the point...

Boozer is a player who can play PF for us... Offer Low post defense and low post scoring and rebounds...

What then...

Do you still contend that Smoove is not a Sf??

Do you still suggest that getting a Low post scorer is not the way to go???

Your mind is so wrapped up into believing that we need 2 SFs on the floor that you are willing to negate PRIMARY needs of this basketball team...

My question is Why??

I guess, you will never answer that truthfully.

• Premium Member

We have a guy who plays the 5 fairly well.

We need defense from either the 4 or 5 spot. ....

If we get a defender here at Pf... What then.

You will have Smoove and Marvin sharing time at the 3. That's 24 minutes at the three.

It's good to have Depth...

But what sense does it make to draft a guy NUmber 2 who will never be a full time player?

• Moderators

Quote:

But what sense does it make to draft a guy NUmber 2 who will never be a full time player?

Marvin will be a starter/full-time player. He may be better than I expect, he may not pan out the way I hope, but he will be more than a bench player who never makes it to be a full time player.

nice point about is we acquired a more prototypical pf and its affect on those wanting Smoove to be a pf...

at the beginning of this year Smoove's positional future was, to a large degree, up for debate.

However, as the season has gone on, particulary the second half, Smoove has shown his 'desires' to be a sf/scorer/ all round type of man. Granted, the biggest hindrance to this evolution at this point is a) perimeter defense, and b) ball handling/shot creation

but he's showing more and more that those hs clips of him were dead on ~ he patterns his game much more towards a prototypical sf than even a '3rd generation new wave' pf...

• Premium Member

The only way that Marvin becomes a full time player is by depriving somebody else who probably is better...

Any way you look at it, that is what has to happen... and the only reason it will happen is to justify him being picked.

BK will always be the GM who passed over Paul. Now he has to have a good reason for doing it.

• Premium Member

I think the only reason you say that now is because you don't appreciate the inside scoring that you have.

However, if we pick up one without the other, we will be just as lopsided offensively then as we are defensively now.

The easiest team to beat in the NBA is the team that can't score in the interior...

The best teams have interior scorers..

Why do you think Shaq, RWallace, Duncan, have been the guys carrying their teams to NBA titles...

• Premium Member

If anybody has watched Smoove since the break, they can't deny that his game is about 98% Sf.

Hell, he's driving and dishing now. Smoove does NO Pf things.... Really, I don't think Smoove really knows how to do PF things...

Still, you have the "let Marvin play" committee saying that Smoove is our PF of the future???

It's ridiculous.

To better the Hawks I hope we get Tyson Chandler or Chris Bosh or even Boozer (I don't really want Boozer, but if we get him... I understand)...

If that happens... I betcha that most of these Smoove PF for future committee members will have to start speaking the truth...

Smoove is a Sf...

Quote:

The easiest team to beat in the NBA is the team that can't score in the interior...

Guess which team scores the fewest pts in the paint in the league. That's right, it is Detroit at 32 ppg in the paint.

And who is doing all the scoring in the paint for Dallas? Phoenix?

future. Smoove is better now but this is Marvin's first year in the league. I think Marvin is as good as Smoove and Chillz were as rookies. Neither Smoove nor Marvin is finished getting better and who ends up better will likely depend on who puts in the most time in the offseason to improve. I honestly don't care which one of them ends up being better, I just hope they BOTH end up being great. That can only be good for us.

Quote:

Why do you think Shaq,
RWallace
, Duncan, have been the guys carrying their teams to NBA titles...

only 10% of his shots are considered 'inside'

way to throw in someone who isn't even an interior scorer

u are so biased it's not even funny

Just because we don't trade Marvin or Smoove now doesn't mean that a time won't come when it is best for the team to trade one of them. I am not worried about Marvin or Smoove at all. Guys with that much talent/size/athleticism will ALWAYS have value in this league.

• Premium Member

When Detroit went on it's championship run, it was Rasheed Wallace in the post.

The whole series was based on the fact that Rasheed was able to take Karl Malone to the low post and hit the turn around when they needed points. Their other form of scoring was Chauncey driving and either scoring or finding the open man. ... But when they needed a clutch score, it was Rasheed.

Why do you think the trade we gave them made them Championship material?? Without Wallace, they lacked post offense. They had rebounding and defense from ben Wallace but Ben doesn't score well in the post.

Yeah, Wallace has a midrange game.. But I dare you to watch them play before you yap. If they need a bucket, watch Wallace Post up. He has one of the best post up games I have seen.

And of course Diesel is assuming that the Hawks draft a big who will never be able to play center.

The fact is the Hawks could very well be drafting 5-6 and wind up drafting a guard.

Or they could draft higher and draft a big who can eventually play center. After all the C position is the weakest, least productive position in the league by far.

• Moderators

Quote:

The only way that Marvin becomes a full time player is by depriving somebody else who probably is better...

Any way you look at it, that is what has to happen... and the only reason it will happen is to justify him being picked.

BK will always be the GM who passed over Paul. Now he has to have a good reason for doing it.

BK will always be one of 4 GMs (Mil, Atl, Por, Uta) who passed over Paul and the only one other than Utah of those with a clear need for a PG at the time.

I do think Marvin's talent is such that it is inevitable that he will be a starter and FT player for us or elsewhere not long into his career. If Josh Smith cannot play PF, that leaves us a serious problem because J-Smoove is a stud. Then you are looking at a trade of one of them and that could turn out well but is rarely an efficient way of acquiring talent.