Friday Insider

Wally goes off the market

by Chad Ford

Send an Email to Chad Ford

Also Below: Forecast shady for DerMarr Johnson, Speedy Claxton | Is Shaq on his way back? | Random Game Notes | Here comes the Charlotte ???? | Peep Show

NBA Insider Chad Ford will be chatting live on ESPN.com today at 1 p.m. ET. Click here to submit your questions.

The Wally Szczerbiak rumor mill ground to a screeching halt late Thursday night when word came out of Minnesota that the T-Wolves had locked their All-Star shooting guard up to a six-year, $65 million extension just hours before the deadline, the Minneapolis Star Tribune reported.

T-Wolves owner Glen Taylor had said as late as Wednesday that Szczerbiak wouldn't be getting a deal. However, Szczerbiak backed off his demand for a max contract extension last weekend, and some late concessions by Szczerbiak's agent convinced Taylor to pull the trigger.

Pacers swingmen Ron Artest and Jonathan Bender also signed extensions Thursday. Artest's deal is for six years, $42 million with an opt out after year five. Bender got a four-year deal, according to sources, but an exact salary figure was unavailable.

The Pacers somehow managed to sign all three of their players to extensions. The team thought it was crucial to get those contracts wrapped up now so it could focus all of its energy next summer on several unrestricted free agents, including Jermaine O'Neal, Reggie Miller and Brad Miller.

"I did not want to walk into next summer having to sign six guys," team president Donnie Walsh told the Indianapolis Star. "All these guys want to be on this team.That's pretty amazing for a young group of guys. I like the fact they want to be in Indiana and be part of the Pacers. They see themselves as playing together for a long time."

The signings take all three players off the restricted free-agent market next summer and also kill any ongoing trade rumors. Szczerbiak, in particular, has been subject to numerous rumors the last two seasons. The latest had the Knicks still trying to pry him out of the T-Wolves' hands. Now that Szczerbiak has signed the extension, he is essentially untradeable for the next two seasons.

If the Wolves tried to trade Szczerbiak this season, his "trade value" is the average of the salaries in the last year of his rookie contract and each year of the extension. This is called the "poison pill" rule. Next season, Szczerbiak will be a base-year compensation player, meaning that the Wolves could take back only half of Szczerbiak's salary in a trade. While it's possible to get the numbers to work out in a large multi-player deal, it's highly unlikely.

Szczerbiak, Artest and Bender join Steve Francis, Baron Davis, Shawn Marion and Jeff Foster as the only players from the draft class of 1999 to get contract extensions. Other top players from the class of 1999 such as Elton Brand, Andre Miller, Lamar Odom, Richard Hamilton, Jason Terry, Corey Maggette and Kenny Thomas will be restricted free agents this summer.

Szczerbiak signs six-year extension

Steve Aschburner / Minneapolis Star-Tribune

Artest, Bender get extensions

Mark Montieth / Indianapolis Star

Play now, get paid later for Thomas

Jonathan Feigen / Houston Chronicle

Forecast shady for DerMarr Johnson, Speedy Claxton

Thursday night was also the deadline for teams to exercise their options on players from the draft class of 2000.

The two biggest surprises came in Atlanta and San Antonio as the Hawks and Spurs declined their options for DerMarr Johnson and Speedy Claxton. The Nuggets' Donnell Harvey, the Lakers' Mark Madsen, the Rockets' Jason Collier, the Kings' Mateen Cleaves, the Hornets' Jerome Moiso and the Raptors' Mamadou N'diaye also did not have their options picked up.

Players who did not have their options picked up become unrestricted free agents next summer. Reports from several newspapers that the players become restricted free agents is inaccurate. Teams also lose their "Bird rights" for those players, meaning they cannot exceed the salary cap to re-sign them after the season.

Johnson, who was taken sixth in the draft in 2000, was the most high-profile player not to have his option picked up. A serious car crash this fall put Johnson's basketball future in doubt.

"We searched for alternatives, but there weren't any," executive vice president and general manager Pete Babcock told the Atlanta Journal Constitution. "We have no assurance that he will ever be able to play again. The prospect of a head-to-head collision or a fall is frightening. The results could be catastrophic."

Johnson's option called for him to make $3,076,000 next season. Since the Hawks are over the luxury-tax threshold, that sum would have doubled to $6 million.

"There's no way we could commit that much money, not knowing what DerMarr's future will be," Babcock said. "Doctors have assured us that he will recover fully and live a normal life, but they cannot tell us if he can play basketball again or, if so, when."

Claxton has been impressive in his short stint with the Spurs, however, the team did not want to compromise any of its salary-cap flexibility next summer when it attempts to re-sign Tim Duncan and bring in another top-tier free agent. If the Spurs had picked up his option, Claxton would have been on the cap for $1.67 million.

Harvey was the victim of the Nuggets' ambitious attempt to clear up to $22 million in cap room next season.

"He understands how much we like him as a player," GM Kiki Vandeweghe told the Rocky Mountain News. "Sometimes it is hard to understand the overall plan. We worked so hard to create all this cap space and we have to preserve it."

Injured Johnson's option declined; McCaskill signed

Jeffrey Denberg / Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Spurs decline Speedy option

Johnny Ludden / San Antonio Express-News

Cap issue hits Harvey

Aaron J. Lopez / Rocky Mountain News

Is Shaq on his way back?

Shaquille O'Neal took a significant step in his recovery from toe surgery Thursday, when he participated for about five minutes in a light scrimmage.

For the first time in awhile, coach Phil Jackson can start to breathe easier. But when exactly will he be back? "I'm not projecting that, but anything's possible at this time," Jackson told the L.A. Daily News. "Whatever discomfort [he has in his toe] because of increased activity, he's got to be able to withstand and play under. We don't expect him this week, we don't expect him this weekend, we don't expect him early next week. But maybe at some point we'll find a way to get him out there on the court in the next couple weeks."

"I've been allowed to run on the treadmill, so I asked my doctor if I could start running in scrimmages," O'Neal told the O.C. Register. "It felt pretty good. I just have to keep consulting with my doctor, keep practicing and try to get into basketball shape."

In fact, the Lakers are more worried about Shaq's girth than they are about the toe. When asked how O'Neal looked during his time on court, Jackson had a one-word response:

"Big."

The Lakers have started the season 0-2 and Jackson has suggested that they could lose their first seven games. "Spiritually, it lifts the team up a little bit," Jackson said.

Shaq's play gives hope

Howard Beck / Los Angeles Daily News

Shaq back toeing the lines

Bill Plunkett / Orange County Register

Random Game Notes

First of all, I'd like to thank the loyal Wizards fans (including Jesus himself) who read my column on Thursday and then watched the Michael Jordan and company absolutely rout the Celtics Thursday night for the hundreds of emails. The Wiz shot 52.4 percent from the field, their suspect frontline out rebounded the Celtics, 59-31, and coach Doug Collins got stellar play from his two most important young players, Kwame Brown and Jared Jeffries. After playing about as bad a game as possible against the Raptors, the Wizards were firing on every cylinder against the Celtics. "That was as good as I ever had a team play, just in every phase of the game," coach Doug Collins said after the game. "I looked at our coaches and said this is not the same team that played [Wednesday night in Toronto]. That is the interesting thing about the NBA, how quickly things can change." If you draw a line somewhere in the middle of those two games, you probably have a good feel for what the Wizards are going to do this season.

Brown won't average 20 points or 10 rebounds a night this season, but clearly he's figured out something this summer. The difference in his play from last season to this season is striking. "Sometimes," Collins told the Washington Post, "you just don't know what clicks. You just don't." "[brown's] relieved, I'm relieved, I think everybody's relieved," Jordan said. "He's going to prove over and over again in his career why he was picked number one in the draft," Celtics coach Jim O'Brien said.

Speaking of the Celtics-Wizards, what is going on in Boston? Kenny Anderson was a key part of what the Celtics did last season, but he didn't rebound and he didn't hit many three-pointers. After two games, the Celtics are averaging just 34 rebounds a night and are connecting on only 27 percent of their threes. "We know what our strengths and weaknesses are and we just have to make corrections," Paul Pierce said. "There is no need to panic right now. It's going to get better as time goes along. This was like a step back today with our effort, our performance. We've just got to move on from this ... We deflated when we couldn't make shots and I think that affected us on the defensive end." The Celtics will get better . . . but it may take longer than anyone expected.

What has gotten into Glenn Robinson? He's averaging 32 ppg, 7.5 rpg and 7.5 apg on 51 percent shooting from the field in the Hawks' first two games. The points and rebounds aren't a huge surprise, but where are all of those assists coming from? He's never averaged more than 3.3 apg in a season. His career average is 2.8. Here's the rub, he's been putting up similar assist totals in the preseason. Can he keep it up? One prominent NBA scout told me Thursday night that the Big Dog has the potential. "He's looked like Grant Hill out there this season. He can score 20 a night in his sleep. He's pumped up this year. He really has the talent to do it all. He's got great court vision, he's a good rebounder when he wants to be and he can always get his shot. He just needed to get out Milwaukee. Sometimes a little change of scenery is all a guy needs."

Let's not even talk about the Jazz today. My inbox is already too full from the angry Wizards fans. If you even sneeze in the Jazz's direction the whole state of Utah mobilizes. After seeing Adam Sandler's "Punch Drunk Love," that frightens me a bit. Maybe next week.

I spent about 15 minutes watching the Blazers-Kings Thursday night and couldn't take my eyes off of second-year guard Gerald Wallace. Three years ago, Wallace was called the greatest high school guard EVER by a respected recruiting publication. He had a so-so freshman year at Alabama (where he was forced to play out of position at power forward most of the year) and a few shaky workouts that torpedoed his draft stock. Call it a momentary speed bump. The Kings and Blazers have plenty of dynamic players, but Wallace's athletic, energetic play just jumps out at you. Looking at the boxscore this morning, I understand why. He put up 11 points and 10 boards in 18 minutes. All of this Hido Turkoglu-Doug Christie debate may be for naught in another year or two. If Wallace learns how to sink a jumper, the Kings can have the best of both worlds. He's more athletic than either player, plays great defense and has the ability to average big numbers offensively.

In the "How the [censored] did that happen file", little Kings point guard Bobby Jackson grabbed 10 rebounds but only dished out one assist in the Kings' 100-72 rout of the Blazers.

Kwame Brown is well-schooled, well-learned

Michael Wilbon / Washington Post

Wizards pummel Celtics

Shira Springer / Boston Globe

Robinson, Terry pace winning home start

Jeffrey Denberg / Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Another easy one

Martin McNeal / Sacramento Bee

Here comes the Charlotte ????

NBA owners have approved an agreement with Charlotte that would house an expansion team in a new arena for at least 20 years. City Council members are expected to vote on the document Nov. 11. NBA deputy commissioner Russ Granik told the Charlotte Observer on Thursday that owners gave their approval at a meeting Oct. 8, based on a general outline.

"Now we go on to the next step [of choosing an ownership group]," Granik said. "This is a fair deal for both the league and the city, but one that should be attractive to a purchaser."

Under terms of the deal, the NBA would have to choose owners and award the franchise by Jan. 12, when the city and league are scheduled to approve a final contract. But city officials hope the league moves more quickly.

If the deal all works out, Charlotte could have a team in time for the 2004-05 season. The team is expected to move into the new arena in time for the start of the 2005 season.

The move would also likely lead to realignment. The Observer printed a possible re-alignment plan in today's editions.

The new team in Charlotte would move into the Eastern Conference.

NORTHEAST: Boston, New York, New Jersey, Philadelphia, Toronto

SOUTHEAST: Atlanta, Charlotte, Miami, Orlando, Washington

CENTRAL: Cleveland, Chicago, Detroit, Indiana, Milwaukee

In the West, the Hornets are the only team to move to the Western Conference.

SOUTHWEST: Dallas, Houston, Memphis, New Orleans, San Antonio

MIDWEST: Denver, Minnesota, Phoenix, Sacramento, Utah

PACIFIC: Golden State, L.A. Clippers, L.A. Lakers, Portland, Seattle

Deal OK with NBA owners

Rick Bonnell and Scott Dodd / Charlotte Observer

Possible realignment scenario

Rick Bonnell / Charlotte Observer

Peep Show

Bulls: Jalen Rose is riding rookie Jay Williams hard over his missed free throw at the end of the game Wednesday. "He has to practice," Rose told the Chicago Tribune. "He has to not be so nervous. To be honest, he has to step up and make them. In the NBA, we just call that choking. . .You don't take it easy on rookies, especially ones who miss free throws in the fourth quarter." . . . Coach Bill Cartwright is struggling with the decision to start Tyson Chandler over Donyell Marshall. "It is a little dilemma not starting him, but I'm hopeful Eddy and Tyson can get us off to a jump start and use a lot of energy and then we can come back with the other guys," Cartwright told the Chicago Sun Times. "But Donyell is great, and he's going to be one of our leading scorers and probably our best rebounder. Donyell and Corie really plugged up the middle defensively."

Warriors: Rookie Mike Dunleavy is miffed about his one minute of playing time in Wedensday's game. "I don't know what that was about," Dunleavy told the San Francisco Chronicle. "It's one thing if you don't earn it. I understand I was missing some shots, but I don't think that's a reason not to play. Maybe he thought I was going to hurt the team. In that case, sure, don't play me. But I'm as shocked as anybody else." Dunleavy struggled in the preseason and coach Eric Musselman said he tried to play the players that gave the team the best chance to win. "It's one game. His time is going to come in this league," Musselman said. "Patience is important and working hard is important. . . . I hope that all of our players are extremely happy with the win, regardless of roles."

Pistons: Jon Barry is promising that the Grizzlies won't rack up 108 points against the Pistons. "I think they are going to be in for a rude awakening," Barry told the Detroit News. "They aren't going to come in here and be as freewheeling as they were against the Mavericks. We are going to put the wood to them and show them what the Eastern Conference is like."

Knicks: Latrell Sprewell shot for nearly a half-hour (even from long range) and reported no pain in his right hand. "It's great right now," he told the New Jersey Star Ledger. "But if I take one of those [hits], I don't know. I think it's just getting better every day."

Mavs: Popeye Jones' back injury may be more debilitating than first thought. Coach Don Nelson said after Thursday's practice that Jones could miss more time than expected. "It's five weeks, from what they tell me," Nelson told the Dallas Morning News. "With having to get back in shape, I wouldn't expect him to be ready before that. But we also knew that when we signed him. He's had some problems with injuries. This is not unexpected."

Jazz: Jarron Collins' 18-point effort Thursday, and Greg Ostertag's physical condition is causing coach Jerry Sloan to rethink his decision to put Ostertag in the starting lineup. "I've got to put Greg's health in the forefront. If he's not in shape and you put him out there too long, you risk getting him hurt, and I'm not willing to do that," Sloan told the Salt Lake Tribune.

Magic: Doc Rivers on the play of Tracy McGrady and Grant Hill. "I think they're bridging that gap as teammates," Rivers told the Orlando Sentinel. "One is rap, one is jazz, but they have a great respect for each other. Whether they go to the same concert, I don't know if we'll see that, but on the court it's phenomenal."

Williams gets an earful: Sink 'em

K.C. Johnson / Chicago Tribune

Bulls' starts are nothing big

Roman Modrowski / Chicago Sun-Times

Benching puzzles Dunleavy

Brad Weinstein / San Francisco Chronicle

Grizzlies present different challenge than Knicks

Chris McCosky / Detroit News

Newcomer Nailon slips in under radar

Dave D'Alessandro / Newark Star-Ledger

Mavericks have fast break on their minds

Eddie Sefko / Dallas Morning News

Collins May Take Starting Role

Phil Miller / Salt Lake Tribune

T-Mac, Hill providing major thrill

1)DJ... as much as we LOVE him, we need to think in terms of the HAWKS... not just DJ. What if his accident changes his game and he leaves the NBA? (bad thought, but possible). We cant just sign him to be friendly... this is a business.... its gonna be a hard choice for BABCOCK!

2)Robinson! has numbers like the OLD-GRANT HILL of Detroit! i noticed that hes PUMPED up lately as well... lets just hope he can CONTINUE to generate those numbers...

3)Jalen Rose is HARD on JAY WILLIAMS, but im sure its all in the LOVE and the want to win the GAME... Williams sure does need to practice those FREE THROWS though, before bull fans start boo-ing....