• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2 things that makes no sense...

Diesel

• Premium Member

1. The Electoral college. One person, one vote.

2. The NBA draft lottery.

The NBA draft lottery makes no sense. It's purpose is null and void. IN the years that there is a franchise changing player on the way... will teams stop tanking games?

I think you can go through and see that the draft lottery has done more to reward teams that tanked than it has to stop team from tanking.

Things would be better if the worse team got the best pick.. period. And the NBA came up with other ways to punish tanking.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

Get the 5 worst teams and their representatives...

5 vs. 4. Paper, Scissors, Rock.

winner of that vs. 3.

winner of that vs. 2.

winner of that vs. 1.

This would be the most interesting draft lottery because the NBA would really have nothing to do with it. The worst team could only fall one position.

Fans would spend all offseason complaining about their GM using scissors instead of paper...

• Premium Member

Here's some others.

Poker.

Top 5 teams send their best Poker representative and they play a hand of texas Hold'em. The guy that wins the game wins the top spot.

I betcha BK could out poker all of them.

Paint Ball

Let them all have a televised Paintball game. Each team has a representative paint ball game. The winner gets the top pick.

Three on Three Basketball Playoffs

Have the top 5 teams send their best three on three team to the draft lottery.

5 vs. 4.

3 vs. 2.

Winner of 5 vs. 4 to play #1.

Winner of that game to play #2.

Winning team wins the draft lottery.

All of these are better than the draft lottery.

• Premium Member

I considered the loser of the 3 on 3 winning the lottery.. Because of was thinking about Shaq and the Magic.

But then I said.. Too easy to tank.

Plus, if you have three guys who really want it, they will play hard enough to win.

Can you imagine:

JSmoove, JJ, and Zaza...

vs.

GWallace, Felton, and Ely...

or

Telfair/Randolph/ and Pryz...

vs.

Marbury/Frye/ and Curry...

How about something like the old "Let's make a deal" show - 'Billy Knight chooses door number three'...whatever system they use it would be nice if it was transparent and obvious to the fans watching that it couldn't be rigged.

As far as the current system preventing tanking - I think it helps because if the worst team gets the first pick and next year Oden is by far the gem of the draft - there might be a serious temptation on the part of the bottom 3 teams or so. Although it would be comical to watch an all-out "tank game" just to see how far the teams would go.

Let's put it in terms of the current Hawks. Lets say JJ might go along with the tanking philosophy to get a guy like Oden...but then Zaza would want to play hard to protect his starting position. Other guys would go with whoever they were friends with most. You could have a game within a game. Same thing would be happening on the opposing team. Bedlam!

• Premium Member

Is the fact that a team that will go so far as to tank half of it's season will disinfranchise their fan base and season ticket holders.

I say that the next CBA, the draft lottery should be thrown out.

If you want to stop tanking, here's what you do... THIS IS FAIR.

The deterant for tanking would be for the league to have a watchdog for tanking investigating said teams. Those team come before the board of governors.. and The evidence will be presented to the top 25 teams' governor for a vote.

If the vote finds that a team is guilty of tanking (by a 51% vote... 13 votes).. That team will recieve the 30th position in the draft. IF more than one team is found guilty of tanking, the teams will recieve the 29th, 30th and so in order of losing record... and everybody else will move up.

If there are more than 5 teams believed tanking then the top 9 teams will be given the duty of examining the evidence. and if 5 of those governors vote guilty, the teams will move to the back of the draft.

I guarantee you that this will work.

The truly worse teams will get the top pick.

There will be no tanking.

and that wouldn't then start an incredible list of conspiracy theories amongst owners who 'dislike' other owners, who and how the watch dog system is implimented, what constitutes tanking, whether or nto the players under contract with the team for the next year are tanking but not on orders from mgt or coaching..

that would create a multitude of conspiracy theories, turmoil, and general speculation exponentially worse than the current system...

Quote:

Let's put it in terms of the current Hawks. Lets say JJ might go along with the tanking philosophy to get a guy like Oden...but then Zaza would want to play hard to protect his starting position. Other guys would go with whoever they were friends with most. You could have a game within a game. Same thing would be happening on the opposing team. Bedlam!

Smoove would rack up the blocks! 10 blocks on Zaza, 15 on Slim

Quote:

...Smoove would rack up the blocks! 10 blocks on Zaza, 15 on Slim

Yeah - it could be hilarious:

Neal: "Well Steve we are at halftime and we have a record 66 turnvers between the two teams"

Smith: "...and don't forget the times when guys were shooting at the wrong basket Bob".

Neal: "Yeah Steve...that ally oop from Felton to Josh Smith was incredible"

• Premium Member

Quote:

and that wouldn't then start an incredible list of conspiracy theories amongst owners who 'dislike' other owners, who and how the watch dog system is implimented, what constitutes tanking, whether or nto the players under contract with the team for the next year are tanking but not on orders from mgt or coaching..

that would create a multitude of conspiracy theories, turmoil, and general speculation exponentially worse than the current system...

There would be no benefit for the governors who vote.

There would be no benefit for the watchdog committee.

The only way that there could be a conspiracy is if 13 governors (all who happen to be in the playoffs) and 1 watchdog committee came together in agreement.

If that be the case, then ALL of BASKETBALL Would might as well be fixed.

Weez, you're just being argumentative to be argumentative in this case.

and there would be no 'if you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours' type deals going on there? or vendictiveness between a governor who's team was fleeced by another (you couldn't convince me that many of hte brass in toronto aren't up-in-arms about Mourning's play in Miami...)

there may be no 'incentive' for the watch-dog committee...but who would compose it? would it be the league? would Stern then be suspected of having a role in Lb's not coaching the last games of this season? or the Raptors in hiring a Babcock to run the team for the short-time before his eventual hiring?

simply put, this method is comprised of even more red-tape and creates significantly greater room for suspiscion and conspiracy...