• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

WE SHOULD DARFT MARCUS WILLIAMS!!!!

y2kenta

Here are my reasons why...

1. LAST YEAR's MISTAKE MAY BE RIGHTED

- We fluked last year and drafted Marvin over Paul who fit a bigger need and who also won ROY and kept the Hornets competitive all year. As long as Paul stays consistent with his 2005 numbers, we'll always wonder what if we had drafted Paul last year and signed JJ?

2. SIZE

- He's a solid 6'3/ 200+ who has Jason Kidd-like vision/ Mark Jackson-like handles along with nice speed/ quickness. Paul was only about 6'0 and made a major impactlast year.

3. STYLE FITS OUR PG NEEDS

- He excels in both the open court in transition as well the half court offense because of his vision and creativity. He may become a younger Kidd running the courts with the athletes and finishers that we have. He's aslo solid enough to play with a small lineup like with JJ + Salim and really spread the floor.

4. THE PG DIFFERENCE

- NO, UTAH, and CHA (w/o the injuries to Okafur + May) all greatly improved by adding young star PGs last year. PHX, SAS, and DET are and will continue contending for titles over the next 2-3 years because of the additions of Parker, Nash, and Billups. We all will always wonder what if we had drafted Paul last year and signed JJ?

Guest Walter

Quote:

Just because he was the best pg in a draft weak on pg's doesnt make him a star PG. He is a very avg pg in college as evidenced by his team's performance in the NCAA's. Hell I'd rather draft George Mason's pg. Whoever that is.

Marcus Williams was the only clutch player at UConn IMO. Rudy Gay doesn't even know the word clutch. Hard to guage whether playing on a talented team helped or hurt MW statistics, but his heart shouldn't be in question.

Does that mean he should be drafted so high? Likely not. Still, we NEED to make some bold moves rather than compound our mistake in drafting MW by maintaining a glut of talent at the Sf position while other positions remain unfilled.

I would trade MW for Char #3 pick and draft Bargnani. If Aldridge available at our own pick draft him. If not trade down with NO 12, 15 for a center prospect and a quality Pg. We are so flexible now if we are to ever remake this team and undo the mistakes of the past, NOW is the time.

W

W

Quote:

Quote:

Just because he was the best pg in a draft weak on pg's doesnt make him a star PG. He is a very avg pg in college as evidenced by his team's performance in the NCAA's. Hell I'd rather draft George Mason's pg. Whoever that is.

Marcus Williams was the only clutch player at UConn IMO. Rudy Gay doesn't even know the word clutch. Hard to guage whether playing on a talented team helped or hurt MW statistics, but his heart shouldn't be in question.

Does that mean he should be drafted so high? Likely not. Still, we NEED to make some bold moves rather than compound our mistake in drafting MW by maintaining a glut of talent at the Sf position while other positions remain unfilled.

I would trade MW for Char #3 pick and draft Bargnani. If Aldridge available at our own pick draft him. If not trade down with NO 12, 15 for a center prospect and a quality Pg. We are so flexible now if we are to ever remake this team and undo the mistakes of the past, NOW is the time.

W

W

You are aware right that if you trade MW for the rights to draft bargnani then you are in essence trading for another SF, at least in theory. I am sorry I don't trust Euros that much.

Guest Walter

Quote:

You are aware right that if you trade MW for the rights to draft bargnani then you are in essence trading for another SF, at least in theory. I am sorry I don't trust Euros that much.

That's just my take. I also believe that he's a much more special player with superstar potential whereas MW is not. Just watching the opposition try to defend him is crazy. They absolutely have no idea how to guard him much less stop him. BTW, Bargnani plays at a very high level of international competition and produces despite being 19. He's a project like most any other 19 yr old but he's not the risk that many other foreigners have been of late.

In short, he's more a Pf than MW or JS, he's FAR taller, and his superstar potential is greater than at least MW's.

W

Guest Walter

most 19 year old Europlayers dont' get off the bench. They just don't play youngsters there.

Quote:

You mean that same European competition where players like the great Trajon Langdon are superstars? Please. If MW was in the European league he'd avg 20/10 easily.

Consider it between college/cba and the nba pros. A 19 year old, perhaps the only 19 year is geting ample PT there for a reason.

Quote:

Quote:

That's just my take. I also believe that he's a much more special player with superstar potential whereas MW is not. Just watching the opposition try to defend him is crazy. They absolutely have no idea how to guard him much less stop him. BTW, Bargnani plays at a very high level of international competition and produces despite being 19. He's a project like most any other 19 yr old but he's not the risk that many other foreigners have been of late.

In short, he's more a Pf than MW or JS, he's FAR taller, and his superstar potential is greater than at least MW's.

W

Agree, I watched Bargnani play and he is perimeter oriented offensive player that can drive easily to the basket or just stop for a quick jumper. On defense he will try to block a shot or help on the weakside but he is just a little unexperienced, he either commits a foul or they score on him.

If his game translates to Nba like it should be than i would trade Marv to Bobcats for their pick.

Guest Walter

Quote:

Agree, I watched Bargnani play and he is perimeter oriented offensive player that can drive easily to the basket or just stop for a quick jumper. On defense he will try to block a shot or help on the weakside but he is just a little unexperienced, he either commits a foul or they score on him.

If his game translates to Nba like it should be than i would trade Marv to Bobcats for their pick.

While I understand we could trade MW theoretically at "any time" it just doesn't make sense not to not do so now (especially if we can get a player like Bargnani) because it's better to build your team earlier rather than later (duh?) where they grow together rather than be torn apart to rebuild and because we may not be as flexible for the next ten years as we are this very offseason. I mean when again are we going to have this much cap space, an Al Harrington player to trade, and a valuable yet redundant player in MW to trade. I don't see why this is such a big deal for people. The team needs real change to resemble a real team and there in all truth is no better time than now.

Back to Bargnani, he would have to not only develop as he is only 19 but also adjust his game to the NBA. That's alot to overcome, but honestly I see nothing stopping this kid from being a player we build around alah Dirk in Dallas if only because of the way nobody knows how to defend him. The fear the opposition displays in their defensive body language is so great it's funny.

W

It is amazing the amount of people on this board who fail to realize that MW was a project to begin with, and to expect him to come in and become Lebron James after his first year. It is quite ridiculous. It is even more ridiculous because now folks are suggesting that we trade him for a freaking Euro, who is probably a project as well. Even the great Dirk Nowitski had to suck for a year before he started showing progress....and no one is saying that Bargnani is going to be better than Dirk.

Guest Walter

...and he was a better one than MW out of HS, remained a 25% better one as a rookie, and is a 25% better one at the same age.

Now THAT's "amazing" that many here won't accept that.

Lebron James is an example of a player so great that you might bend you lineups to accomodate him. MW, by your own account is not in that we can't nearly expect him to be as good as Lebron. MW is NOT the type of player you force players out of position and handicap your team inside to allow him to develop into a merely decent player.

Quote:

and no one is saying that Bargnani is going to be better than Dirk.

And sadly, no one can say MW has ever, is, or will ever be as good as even JS. Same argument you make, whole 'nother level. I'll take the equal poor man's Dirk to the rich man's lesser JS anyday.

W

Guest Walter

how people can put a player like MW ahead of other, better players, much less the team.

The Hawks have holes at 3 positions. What is wrong with taking redundant value and filling a hole with similar talent? How is there any wrong with that?

W

Quote:

It is amazing the amount of people on this board who fail to realize that MW was a project to begin with, and to expect him to come in and become Lebron James after his first year. It is quite ridiculous.

It's really not the amount of people, it's the amount of posts. If I had to guess it's 5 people or less, I'm not sure. Who is there other than Walter and Diesel? Of course that probably accounts for a couple of thousands of posts on the topic right there

Guest Walter

Quote:

Glad you guys weren't GM of the Lakers during Kobe's rookie year.

& I believe it wouldn't take a GM to see that.

W

• Premium Member

I think last year when we had chillz, Smoove, and Al.. that we needed a Pure PG.

I think now that we have JJ, our need for a pure PG (i.e. a PG that will dominate the ball) is lessened.

I would opt for a scoring OG to go along with JJ.

I think a good match is Roy. I could also see Ben Gordon being a good guy to pair with JJ.

Having JJ means we don't need a Pure PG.

now, Marcus Williams could be a good draft pick.. but it would mean that JJ goes to strickly 2 guard.. I'm not against that if he doesn't become one dimensional like A. Houston.

with Diesel here. I like Marcus' game but I don't know how well he really fits here. He is a very good playmaker but I haven't seen much from him defensively and that is the Hawks big weakness.

Considering that we have JJ and that Smoove and Marvin are both unselfish I think that the need for a pure pg is lessened.

Roy is a better scorer and a much better defender. I think he would be a better fit here. I wouldn't be upset if the Hawks pick Marcus but I like Roy better.

I didn't see him play live games just over the TV.

From what i saw he is really agressive and he wants to atack the basket almost everytime he touches the ball.

Sometimes he doesn't finish on a drive, but he stays with it.

He has a good high release when he shoots(so he can get a shot over anybody) but doesn't really leave his feet of the ground that much of course he is a 7 footer or almost so he doesn't have to. He reminds me of Morrison because of his agressiveness.

That's one of the reasons Bargnani is different from Skita and other european players.

On defense he seems unexperienced, but he is willing to play the defense at least he tries, unlike our great big AL.

On defense he guards big guys like 4s and 5s and does a decent job. It's easier for him to guard bigger guys in europe because they don't have that back to the basket game, it's mostly jumpshots and open layups.

DrReality you asked me if he is more of a Pf or Sf.

On offense he can play every position just like Dirk and on defense he is more of a 4 or 5 and above average rebounder.