• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Brandon Roy

jezmund

The more I read on this guy, the more he intrigues me. He sounds like the type, IF we aren't going to get a REAL PG, that would be great in the backcourt with JJ. He might not be a great PG on offense but he can supposedly lock down Points and wings on D pretty well. This offseason is going to be quite a delight to follow.

I really have a feeling about him, like he is the next star guard in line from the draft, following DWade. He just seems to have that "it" quality to him and I would think VERY long and hard about making him our selection, if I were BK ... but thats ONLY if we couldnt get Aldridge and I would have to also seriously consider mini Stromile as well.

Courtside View: Roy a smart and safe choice

By Scott Souza

Sunday, May 21, 2006

Brandon Roy has been described as the safest lottery pick in this year's NBA draft.

But don't be surprised if the University of Washington guard turns out to be among the smartest choices as well.

While teams drool over the dunks of Louisiana State's Tyrus Thomas and Connecticut's Rudy Gay, the shooting of Gonzaga's Adam Morrison and Duke's J.J. Redick, and the mystery of European options Andrea Bargnani and Tiago Splitter, Roy has quietly marched up the mock drafts as one of the few players who does everything solidly, even though he might not do any one thing spectacularly.

Though Roy has flown under the radar a bit playing in the Pacific Northwest for the past four years, expect him to be a target of several lottery teams on June 28 that are eyeing an immediate return on their investment.

"People have seen Adam and J.J. on a national level for a couple years where Brandon was injured last year and came off the bench the last 20 games," Washington coach Lorenzo Romar explained of his star's relative anonymity. "The only reason we had him do that is that we thought it would be too disruptive to have him in and out of the starting lineup if he was going to have to miss more time with his knee (torn meniscus).

"Then in the pre-conference season (this season) we were winning games by 18 or 20 points so Brandon was finding other people for their shots rather than taking them himself," the coach added. "So, again, a lot of people still weren't noticing him. Once the conference season started, he became a real consistent scorer and that's when he began to catch on across the country."

Roy wound up having a tremendous senior season with 20.2 points, 5.6 rebounds and 4.1 assists a game. He shot 50.8 percent from the floor despite a lot of mid-range and perimeter shots. He also connected on 81 percent of free throws and hit 40.2 percent of 3-pointers as he expanded his range considerably from his junior season.

He displayed the mettle to hit the big shots when needed as well. He scored 35 points twice within a week in late December against Pac-10 rivals Arizona State and Arizona -- including 3-pointers that forced both overtime and double overtime against Arizona.

In the NCAA tournament, he topped 20 points in each of the Huskies' games with 28 against Utah, 21 points and seven assists in a comeback from an 11-point deficit against Illinois and 20 points in the loss to Connecticut.

Along the way, he showed the type of playmaking ability and court intelligence that could provide a smoother transition to the next level than most.

"Adam Morrison got all of the attention," said Dan Raley, who covers Washington and Gonzaga men's basketball for the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, "but in the long run, after covering them both, I think Brandon Roy might turn out to be the better pro. He could wind up being a real hidden gem. He does everything well. He has a magic about him out on the court."

Roy considered entering the NBA draft out of high school, but pulled his name after pre-draft workouts. According to Raley, he had enough confidence in his skills, but decided he needed to improve his strength to make the jump.

Roy was steady, if not overwhelming, during his first three years at Washington, while playing in the shadow of New York Knicks point guard Nate Robinson. While the lingering knee injury cost him a starting spot as a junior, he still shot a sterling 56.5 percent. With Robinson graduated, Roy took on a floor general role and hinted that he could be more of a combo guard than a strict shooting guard in the pros.

"I think Brandon can play any position on the perimeter in the NBA," Romar said. "He led our team in assists, we ran the offense through him. At times, he was the only ball-handler we had out on the floor."

Roy was so impressive, according to Raley, that though he was not listed on an original list of 10 semifinalists for the Oscar Robertson Award, when the list of five finalists later came out, he was added.

"There was such a negative reaction that he was left off that they must have realized the error of their ways," he said.

Those teams in the 5-8 range of the draft -- where the Celtics expect to be picking pending Tuesday's lottery -- could all strongly consider Roy. Because they won't have the luxury of a second chance to fix a mistake.

For all those saying we should go after Jason Terry, I say why not just draft this guy? He is not a true point guard, like JT, but is bigger and has a good all around game. Sounds like he could be a bigger version of Jason with more, as stated already, D-Wade type skills.

The first time I watched him play I was very impressed. He ran the point well and was very unselfish. He took open shots and only really looked to force the action when the clock was running down.

At the half I was thinking he had maybe 12 points but he had 19.

Watching him a couple of other times I saw him make some plays that make me think people are really underestimating his athleticism. I don't think he will have any problem guarding pgs in the pros.

From the little I saw I don't remember seeing much DWade in him. His game was all about smoothness wasn't it? I think he actually resembles Joe Johnson a little bit. He likes to post-up smaller guards, mid-range jumpers, mini-floaters, good penetration skills and distribution skills but, like Joe Johnson, doesn't usually finish with the explosion and dunks of DWade.

If Brandon is the highest rated player on the board, then that's a problem the Hawks will have to fix another way. I absolutely am not for reaching for a player simply because he plays a certain position. I believe every team should draft according to their draft board.

Brandon Roy will be a possibility for the Hawks. I think the big guys will be weighted higher on their board, but I do believe Brandon Roy will be high on the Hawks board as well.

If I had to guess who the players that the Hawks will rate the highest in the draft, the list would look something like this:

1. Andrea Bargnani, F/C, 7'0", 240 lbs, Benneton Treviso

2. LaMarcus Aldridge, C, 6'11", 245 lbs, Texas

3. Tyrus Thomas, F, 6'9", 225 lbs, LSU

4. Brandon Roy, G, 6'5", 190 lbs, Washington

5. Rudy Gay, F, 6'9", 220 lbs, Connecticut

6. Ronnie Brewer, G, 6'7", 210 lbs, Arkansas

7. Tiago Splitter, C, 7'0", 240 lbs, Tau Vitoria

8. Randy Foye, G, 6'3", 220 lbs, Villanova

No, I do not believe Adam Morrison will be high on Billy's list. He's what I would call the antithesis of a Billy Knight-type of player. He simply doesn't bring the versatility, athleticism, or overall skill level that Billy Knight looks for in a player.

of which he plays the game, but rather the control he possesses over the game while he is in. He plays a lot more like JJ than DWade and I guess that JJ is a really good comparison, although I dont think he will take as long as JJ to become a very good player.

Guest Walter

Quote:

I absolutely am not for reaching for a player simply because he plays a certain position.

KB, you have been on all sides of this debate. Last year you were so pro MW that you insisted best project available no matter what. This past season you insisted we must consider position (in part because of our SF glut and the previous year's MW selection). Now you are heading toward the other extreme, however you qualify it with the word "simply...". Nobody thinks you should "simply..." consider position, so this characterization of yours is a straw man's argument. That was indeed the problem with last year's draft. MW's wasn't significantly better or worse than the pick of the 3 pgs, so if you considered position AT ALL rather than "simply" one should come to the decision to select the pick of the Pgs. What a great decision that would have been based upon early returns.

Anyhow, your positionS are meaningless as they comb the spectrum for some truth to support your like in a player.

That being said,

Quote:

1. Andrea Bargnani, F/C, 7'0", 240 lbs, Benneton Treviso

2. LaMarcus Aldridge, C, 6'11", 245 lbs, Texas

3. Tyrus Thomas, F, 6'9", 225 lbs, LSU

4. Brandon Roy, G, 6'5", 190 lbs, Washington

5. Rudy Gay, F, 6'9", 220 lbs, Connecticut

6. Ronnie Brewer, G, 6'7", 210 lbs, Arkansas

7. Tiago Splitter, C, 7'0", 240 lbs, Tau Vitoria

8. Randy Foye, G, 6'3", 220 lbs, Villanova

...is a good list up until 4 or 5. I believe Marcus Williams should be neck and neck with Roy on our draft board and I do believe Morrison could be 4 if only to trade him (no, he doesn't fit team positional needs but he's a valuable trade commodity).

W

• Premium Member

Is that a few days ago, in his sig file, KB had Roy ranked.. I think it was 5th... and Marcus Williams was on there too.

This is another case of KB not being totally honest.

of his profile on Insider:

Scouts Inc. evaluation:

Roy may have been the most complete player in college basketball last season. He has great height, length and athleticism for the guard position. He did not play the point for Washington, but that may be his best position at the next level. Roy has excellent quickness, and is wiry strong. .

He is an excellent one-on-one player who can take his man off the dribble and get to the rim. He has a very good crossover and hesitation dribbles that help him create penetration. Roy is very crafty around the rim and is able to finish with either hand. He is an excellent passer and unselfish with the ball. If a man is open, he will find him. He knows how to play with and without the ball. He is constantly moving without the ball and coming off screens. He is a very good catch-and-shoot player. He knows how to set his man up and read the defender coming off screens. He makes the correct read almost all the time. When he comes off the screens, he has excellent range on his jumper. In addition, Roy is very comfortable using pick and rolls, whether it be side or middle picks. He comes off the picks with a little bounce in his step, which keeps defenders on their heels, and is very alert to make good reads. He loved to post up in college. Was very comfortable going into the low block and playing with his back to the basket. Excellent vision and passing skills out of the post..

Defensively, Roy excels with his long arms and active hands. He is a cagey defender and will be a big steal guy at the next level. He has been taught very well in college, and he understands the important defensive concepts. There is no doubt he will be able to defend his position at a high level in the NBA. Roy also is an excellent rebounder. He averaged 5.7 rpg in his senior year. It is an added bonus to have a guard who can not only defend but come back and get you rebounds at the pro level..

This kid will be a lottery pick because he has no major flaws in his game. He will be ready in his rookie year to contribute, because his game is so complete. Look for him to go in the first 5-7 picks.

I would not mind the Hawks drafting Roy. We already have a half-court point guard with JJ. Also, with Roy's size, he and Salim could play in the backcourt together. The downside is that he is not considered a pure point guard, but he will only be asked to run the fast break and bring the ball up the floor.

Also, since BK picked Ivey over Duhon, I think Roy is the type of Point Guard that he would like. He also made that comment about big point gaurds earlier last year.

I also feel Roy has the most complete game out of the players coming ot.He is a clutch player in the 4th quarter something that is hard to find while many players disappear in the 4th.As bad as the hawks need a big if it turns out none of the players impress who are left when the hawks draft then Roy would be an option.Alot will depend on when the players come in to tryout for the hawks.If the hawks are at 4th or 5th in the draft who does that leave a Sheldon Williams? Aldridge,Thomas and probably Bargnani will go in top 4 so if Roy is there he may be selected by default if his ceiling is much greater than Marcus williams.

I was impressed with Roy in the tournament and whoever gets him could have an all star that plays both offense and defense.Worse case scenario Roy is drafted and the hawks trade Childress or a small forward for some help somewhere else.

It's not about Roy's ceiling, it's about the Hawks having their mindset on getting a big man which is what they should be looking at. We can live with JJ running the point if we had to but we aren't going to win too many more games if we don't get an upgrade downlow. Zaza Pachulia is nice for what we got for him, but if we ever want to contend for a title he's not going to be more than a 6th man. We need an upgrade and that's what we'll be looking for.

If the Big 3 are gone we will be looking at Shelden Williams or Tiago Splitter. Either one would improve our interior D from day one.