• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Suns to trade S. Marion... The Diaw Effect.

Diesel

• Premium Member

The news is that the Suns will trade Marion to Chicago for the #2 pick overall.

I say good deal for both teams.

Suns will probably take Bargnani if Toronto doesn't or Aldridge...

Chicago gets a blue chipper.

One writer said:

Quote:

The Phoenix Suns no longer would be my favorite NBA team if speculation turns to fact that forward Shawn Marion will be traded to Chicago for the No. 2 overall pick in the NBA draft. The Suns will have a surplus of big men when Amare Stoudemire returns next season, but dealing Marion would be a huge mistake.

This would actually be great news since it would pretty much end any chance of Chicago getting Al Harrington. Since they are pretty much the only team besides us and maybe N.O. who can sign him outright, it will almost assure us og getting something back in a sign and trade. If Al walks and we get nothing, well that sukkks.

Quote:

This would actually be great news since it would pretty much end any chance of Chicago getting Al Harrington. Since they are pretty much the only team besides us and maybe N.O. who can sign him outright, it will almost assure us og getting something back in a sign and trade. If Al walks and we get nothing, well that sukkks.

Al stunting Marvin's growth isn't that great either.

But anyways, this is just Diesel talking out of his behind. The Matrix was arguably the real MVP this season putting up ridiculou all around numbers making up for the loss of Amare.

Marion for a #2??? That is a terrible trade for Phoenix. Marion is a team leader and does everything on the floor and is a team player. They are fighting for a ring right now, so I just dont see them trading one of their best guys for a project. They need the best team possible for the next 3 years while Nash still has legs and that means Nash, Bell, Marion, Stoudemire and Diaw with Thomas as 6 man. If anything they could try to upgrade at 2 guard, although Bell is a nice fit not needing too many touches and playing good perimeter defense. I do not see this trade going down.

For Chicago - no brainer. Pull the trigger and contend for the East next year. They could still rebuild with the Knicks 2007 draft pick. (and dont forget they still have the #16 pick this year and take Rajon Rondo or someone like him)

It wouldn't surprise me to see Matrix traded. He's made it known that he doesn't like being the 3rd wheel behind Nash and Amare even after he helped make Amare's loss a non-factor this year.

It would surprise me though to see him traded straight up for just the #2 pick. We're talking about an MVP caliber player and he looks far from declining. Maybe he hooks back up with Colangelo instead in TOR for the #1 pick. blush.gif

• Premium Member

Click 1

Click 2

Quote:

Marion is owed about $48.5 million over the next three years, so the Suns might be willing to make a trade if they can get a big man in return and lose a few million in salary. Trimming the payroll would help Phoenix re-sign Diaw and guard Leandro Barbosa, who are eligible for extensions.

The Bulls could send their two first-round draft picks to Phoenix for Marion, which would give the Suns a shot at LaMarcus Aldridge or Tyrus Thomas with the No. 2 selection and also lower their payroll by about $10 million.

Would the Suns be interested in such a deal? Hard to say, but former Phoenix general manager Bryan Colangelo is sitting in Toronto with the No. 1 pick and might jump on the same trade if it’s available.

Skiles coached Marion, who grew up in North Chicago, early in his career. But Marion may not necessarily be a slam-dunk acquisition for the Bulls.

Marion’s statistics (21.8 points, 11.8 rebounds this season) have been reasonably consistent, but his field-goal percentage skyrocketed when point guard Steve Nash showed up in Phoenix.

The key questions for the Bulls would be whether Marion can be as valuable without Nash or if he’s worth a $17.1 million salary in the 2008-09 season. Marion’s strongest suit is his athleticism and drive. He’s great on the fastbreak and tough to keep off the offensive boards, but he isn’t really a go-to offensive player.

Click 3

• Premium Member

That was one other scenerio mentioned... That Coangelo would trade the #1 pick to Phoenix for Matrix. He could probably get rid of a few guys in the process... LIKE Araujo & Mo Pete.

Araujo, Pete, and the first for Matrix?

I've also heard Gordon/1st (Chicago) for Matrix.

the 3 years before Nash arrived he averaged just under 20 and 10, and throw in a block and 2 steals a game - I would say he will be alright without Nash...

Strange jumper or not, Marion is a great player and I would still be amazed if Phoenix would gamble on a draft pick for him. The draft is littered with players that misfired - and they would have done a great job to draft someone with equal talent - so why take the risk?

• Premium Member

Phoenix would get rid of Matrix to drop Payroll.

Diaw does the same thing that Matrix can do... maybe better.

I think the one thing that Phoenix knows is that if it does trade for say Pete, Araujo, #1.. they know that they would be getting the #1 this year, and our pick next year...

I love how you throw in comments that are just begging for heated replies. wink.gif Diaw vs Matrix, for example.

I don't think Diaw has it in him yet (or at least what he's shown) to be as good a rebounder at least on the offensive boards to be considered on par with Marion. And while Diaw has definitely shown more aggressiveness toward the hoop than he ever hinted to while he was in ATL, Marion made a living catching oops from Nash and Diaw.

It's entirely possible that Diaw can eventually fill out a box score as well as Marion does and I can see where PHX would look at Marion as the likely place to cut salary.