Shelden Williams definitely has a promise

KB21

This is from Andy Katz's blog:

Quote:

ORLANDO -- Shelden Williams has a first-round promise.

From which team is still unknown, but the Duke senior forward has shut down his workouts, confident he will be selected in the lottery and, according to multiple sources, within the top 10.

Williams has worked out for Boston (No. 7 pick), Houston (No. 8), Golden State (No. 9), Seattle (No. 10), New Orleans/Oklahoma City (No. 12) and Utah (No. 14).

Williams shutting down his workout schedule shouldn't be a total shock, since he was seen more than any other player save his teammate Duke's J.J. Redick in this draft.

"I'm in a good position," Williams said. "I'm ready. I'll go and do the same thing I've been doing. I've been a four-year player who has been on TV. Everyone knows what I can do and that's something that works in my favor."

Williams averaged 18.7 points a game and was a first-team All-American this past season. He also was only the third player in NCAA history to score 1500 points, grab 1000 rebounds, block 350 shots and pick up 150 steals, along with David Robinson and Pervis Ellison. He finished as Duke's career shot-blocker with 422.

As such, it's understandable if he's a bit bitter about the crowds Saturday in Orlando surrounding Texas' LaMarcus Aldridge and LSU's Tyrus Thomas, thought to be the Nos. 1 and 2 picks in the draft.

Williams scored 23 and 13 in the Sweet 16 loss to LSU while Thomas had nine and 13. In a blowout win over Texas earlier in the season, Williams scored 23 points, had six boards and recorded five blocks. Williams was quick to point out that Aldridge scored most of his 21 points when the game was already decided.

"I had one of my best games that game [against Texas]," Williams said. "You've got to be physical with him. He did a lot of his scoring. He had a lot of garbage points.

"Nowadays, it seems like you're hurt when you stay four years," said Williams. "I showcased myself for four years and showed what I can do. I can't do anything else. Just look at the tapes and look at the facts. That's all I can say."

Also a player who is a lock for the top 15 getting a promise isn't a total surprise. There are plenty of teams that wouldn't pass up on Williams if he were to fall. Connecticut junior center Josh Boone may have received a similar deal from New York (Nos. 20 and 29) or New Jersey (Nos. 22 and 23) -- which may be one of the reasons Boone stayed in the draft.

It may be the Hawks. It may not be. It will be interesting to see where Shelden Williams falls into place in this draft. Someone between 5 and 10 is going to take him though.

Guest Walter

...at 5, 6, or 7 IMO. I see Roy, Aldridge (or any other of the projected top 5), and, Marcus Williams as better players and O'bryant and Cedric Simmons as better prospects. Skill-set-wise he is a good fit. I'd still prefer others.

I'll tell you one thing, though. If we draft a Pf like Shelden I can't wait to see this board list him as a 6'7 3/4" "center" for us because of everyone's need to justify MW. MW has everyone listing everyone else out of position, might as well list the whole GD team out of position to suit MW.

The 1st team all out of position team

Pg = JJ (a distributing 2 guard)

Sg = Childress (good but better at Sf)

Sf = MW

Pf = JS (wants to be and is a Sf)

C = Shelden Williams (at least Ben Wallace is 6'9")

There my friends is your severly undersized and underskilled in the post, all-forward lineup one day capable of early playoff exits.

W

Quote:

Since when do players play without shoes on. Shelden is 6'9" with shoes, just as Ben Wallace is 6'9" in shoes.

My question is.... do they have to wear some kind of standard shoe? Or can they wear whatever they want? Can they wear the platform shoes with aquariums like Flyguy in "I'm Gonna Get You Sucka?"

Guest Walter

Quote:

Since when do players play without shoes on. Shelden is 6'9" with shoes, just as Ben Wallace is 6'9" in shoes.

KB, you tried to make JJ the exception as a Pg. He isn't. You insist JS was best as a Sg. He wasn't. Then a Pf. He isn't. That MW was the next Lebron. He's not. That Paul sucks. He doesn't. That 6'7 3/4" Centers are desirable, particularly as #5 picks is just another lame-ass attempt to mischaracterize a player in order to support your pathetic notion of support for BK at all cost to your credibility.

I would love it if dominant, shoe-less 6'7 3/4" centers had more than one poster child than Ben Wallace. They don't. He's the exception. You don't draft for exceptions or else I'd be trying my hand as the first 6'1", white, 190 dominant Pf. It could happen. I could have a late growth spurt like some here indicate as reason to project JS as a Pf, I could develop a post move or two, and I might even suprise you with my power-'fro.

For KB, it's about getting the "best player" (I use that phrase very loosely), then playing him in his worst possible position. Brilliant strategy.

W

Sheldons physical attributes could cause a number of problems..

Will he get called for 3 second violations when his feet are outside the paint but his head blocks the basket?

Will outside shots and interior passes be affected by the gravitational pull of his head?

Will Smoove accidently confuse his head with the basketball and attempt reverse slam it?

Will Marvin get his shot blocked by Sheldons head?

Will Zaza feel betrayed if BK brings in another cromag from a different clan??

Will Woody put a pull down screen on Sheldons forehead to watch game tapes?

So many questions......

I thought the article was going to propose a deal that we have struck with one of the picks behind us. Boston (No. 7 pick), Houston (No. 8), Golden State (No. 9), Seattle (No. 10), New Orleans/Oklahoma City (No. 12) and Utah (No. 14)

Any speculation (that's a stupid question on this board) about what that deal might be if we don't keep him?

Quote:

My question is.... do they have to wear some kind of standard shoe? Or can they wear whatever they want? Can they wear the platform shoes with aquariums like Flyguy in "I'm Gonna Get You Sucka?"

LOL. Maybe Shelden could wear these at his official measurement. cool.gif

• Premium Member

I think the team that made the promise is Houston.

I heard that Houston was impressed by him. He hit some shots from distance as well as displayed his low post game.

More importantly, they need a PF.

Yao/ Shelden/Tmac...

I think they will somehow get Mike James. Maybe a trade of Gaurd and a future pick...

I don't know if it would be Houston. I'm sure they were disappointed in Stromile last year, but he and Shelden are similar players. Plus Stromile is locked up until '08/'09. I would tend to think it is Golden State who made the promise. They might be more desperate for interior defense than we are.

the Magic have been one of the busiest teams over the past several weeks, trying to get something done. Why should we trade up? This draft, moreso than any other in recent memory, is stacked in the middle. Meaning that there could be very little difference between the sixth pick and eleventh pick.

Trade our first round pick, a future first round pick, and Keyon Dooling to Atlanta for their first round pick (5).

- Why would Atlanta do this? They have an obvious need at the point and Dooling is decent and would fit in with the Hawks' running game. They also get a future first, which will help ease the loss of two first rounders to Phoenix in the JJ trade. With the 11th pick, they could take a big man prospect or point guard (Rondo, Rodriguez, Foye).

From another site. Hoopsworld.com

Shelden is a hard worker and a team player... he may never develop into a superstar, BUT...

...if he can play interior defense and be a rebounding monster, he'll be exactly what the team needs, and a safe pick. If BK has hit on his picks of Josh Smith and Marvin, then Atlanta doesn't necessarily need to gamble in this draft. The team definately needs some toughness.